|Founded||Sanford, ME (1999)|
Michael Patterson, Chief Executive Officer and Founder
Plixer sells and supports products that aid Network Administrators in monitoring, troubleshooting, securing and analyzing the behavior of IT networks. Plixer's most recent focus has been on boosting its network security capabilities including methods such as IP Host reputation identifying Advanced Persistent Threats. It also hosts an expansive online community at systrax.com. In late 2008, Plixer introduced the addition of a multi-author daily blog that discusses various challenges faced by administrators of IT networks, and practical methods of approaching them.
Plixer International was founded in 1999 by Michael Patterson (currently the company's CEO) and Marc Bilodeau (currently the company's CTO). The company was built to create full-featured, easy-to-use network monitoring applications that would cost significantly less than traditional network performance and security monitoring software suites.
In 2006, Plixer International merged with Somix Technologies, Inc. and continued to develop and support its network performance and security monitoring software packages. It also partnered with several resellers around the world to establish a global presence in the network monitoring community.
Plixer International is headquartered in Kennebunk, Maine.
Products and services
Plixer International's flagship product, Scrutinizer, is made available for download at the company's site, http://www.plixer.com/. The product is offered as a robust free version that can be used both privately and commercially, with several licensing models available for full-featured versions.
- Scrutinizer NetFlow & sFlow Analyzer, a data warehousing utility that leverages NetFlow, sFlow, j-Flow, IPFIX, and other flow-based technologies to receive and store network traffic data from switches, routers, and other network devices, and to present trends, reports, and network maps based on this data to the user
- Replicator, The NetFlow Replicator appliance allows a single stream of log data to be transparently replicated to multiple destinations
- Flowalyzer NetFlow & sFlow Tester, Flowalyzer is a NetFlow and sFlow Tool Kit for testing and configuring hardware or software for sending and receiving NetFlow and sFlow data
- Denika Performance Trender, a utility that utilizes SNMP to monitor all aspects of nodes and devices on a network
- IPFIXify, IPFIXify processes massive volumes of system health data generated by complex IT infrastructures and then leverages Plixer solutions to troubleshoot problems
Plixer International is known for its award-winning software and commitment to providing customers with comprehensive network monitoring solutions. A complete list of awards can be found on the Plixer website.
Plixer International has written and produced a series of "NetFlow Rap" videos directed at Cisco and NetFlow customers, as well as the IT field in general. They feature a local artist and previous employee of Plixer, Mix Master Mitch. According to Mitch, the goal of the music videos are to entertain and educate at the same time, while promoting awareness of the NetFlow capabilities of Cisco devices. The videos have received thousands of hits on YouTube and have a quickly-growing fan base in the Cisco engineer community. The first video was produced completely independently by Mix Master Mitch, with no budget. Subsequent videos received small production budgets from Plixer as the series grew in popularity.
- Michael Patterson, ThomasNet News“Plixer International Supports the Latest Update in Network Management, Flexible NetFlow.” June 4, 2007. Retrieved on December 11, 2009.
- Michael Patterson, Advanced Persistent Threats“Plixer International Supports the Latest Update in Network Management, Flexible NetFlow.” March 4, 2013. Retrieved on March 18, 2013.
- Marc Bilodeau, Manta.com“Plixer International profiled by Manta.com.” July 12, 2005. Retrieved on December 11, 2009.
- Dale Locke, PWeb.com“Plixer Joins the Riverbed Technology Alliance Program.” July 2, 2008. Retrieved on December 11, 2009.
- Thomas Pore, PWeb.com“Force10 Networks and Plixer Announce Technology Compatible Partnership.” June 6, 2008. Retrieved on December 11, 2009.
- Matthew St Jean, Plixer.com“Plixer Teams with Enterasys For Mobile IAM Analytics.” May 1, 2012. Retrieved on August 23, 2012.
- Earthtimes.org “Cisco NetFlow Goes Hip Hop With Mix Master Mitch And Plixer International.” December 11, 2009. Retrieved on December 11, 2009.
- Brad Reese, Network World. “Lookout Death Row Records, here comes a new hit, the Cisco NetFlow Rap song.” March 26, 2009. Retrieved on December 11, 2009.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language