Phil De Fries
|Phil De Fries|
April 21, 1986 |
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight||248 lb (112 kg; 17 st 10 lb)|
|Reach||79 in (201 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Chula Vista, California, United States|
|Team||The Alliance MMA|
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-JitsuPurple belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Philip De Fries (born April 21, 1986) is an English mixed martial artist who fights as a heavyweight for Strike and Submit. He is known for his explosive ground game and exceptional submission skills.
Mixed martial arts career
De Fries began practicing Brazilian jiu-jitsu at the age of 14, and worked as a drugs counselor before becoming a professional fighter. Since the very beginning of his MMA career, De Fries has shown great submission skills, defeating the likes of Darren Towler and Stav Economou. He made his pro debut in 2009.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
De Fries was expected to make his debut against Oli Thompson at UFC 138. However, on October 17, 2011, it was revealed that Thompson had to pull out of the bout due to injury and was replaced by Rob Broughton. De Fries won the fight via unanimous decision.
De Fries was expected to face Matt Mitrione on December 29, 2012 at UFC 155. However, Mitrione stepped up to fight Roy Nelson at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson Finale and was replaced by Todd Duffee. De Fries lost via first round TKO due to punches.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|13 matches||9 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||9–3 (1)||Matt Mitrione||KO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Mousasi vs. Latifi||April 6, 2013||1||0:19||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Loss||9–2 (1)||Todd Duffee||TKO (punches)||UFC 155||December 29, 2012||1||2:04||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–1 (1)||Oli Thompson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera||August 4, 2012||2||4:16||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Loss||8–1 (1)||Stipe Miocic||KO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger||February 15, 2012||1||0:43||Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Win||8–0 (1)||Rob Broughton||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 138||November 5, 2011||3||5:00||Birmingham, England|
|Win||7–0 (1)||Stav Economou||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Ultimate Warrior Challenge 16||July 2, 2011||2||3:56||Southend-on-Sea, Essex, England|
|Win||6–0 (1)||Colin Robinson||Submission (armbar)||Supremacy Fight Challenge 2||May 29, 2011||1||1:33||Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England|
|Win||5–0 (1)||Andy Spiers||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Supremacy Fight Challenge 1||February 27, 2011||1||3:14||Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England|
|NC||4–0 (1)||Dave Wilson||No Contest (punches to the back of the head)||Tyneside Fighting Challenge||June 20, 2010||1||N/A||Newcastle, Tyne and Wear, England|
|Win||4–0||Darren Towler||Submission (brabo choke)||Strike and Submit 14||May 30, 2010||1||3:37||Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England|
|Win||3–0||Grant Hocking||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strike and Submit 13||February 28, 2010||1||1:35||Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England|
|Win||2–0||Jamie Sheldon||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strike and Submit 12||October 4, 2009||1||2:10||Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England|
|Win||1–0||Darren Towler||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strike and Submit 10||April 26, 2009||1||4:48||Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England|
- MMAJunkie Staff "Heavyweight Philip De Fries signs with UFC, expected to debut at UFC 138", MMA Junkie, July 29, 2011, accessed July 29, 2011.
- "Sources: Thompson-De Fries Targeted for UFC 138 in England". Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "Hathaway, Thompson out of UFC 138". UFC.com. Retrieved 2010-10-17.
- "Philip De Fries vs. Stipe Miocic added to UFC on FUEL TV 1". mmajunkie.com. December 21, 2011.
- "UK UFC News - Phil De Fries vs. Oli Thompson At UFC On Fox 4". YourMMA.tv. Retrieved 9 May 2012. Text " YourMMA.tv" ignored (help)
- "Matt Mitrione vs. Phil DeFries Added to UFC 155: Dos Santos vs. Velasquez II". mmajunkie.com. August 31, 2012.
- "Todd Duffee back in UFC, faces Phil De Fries at UFC 155". mmajunkie.com. November 21, 2012.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 9 adds Mitrione-De Fries". mmajunkie.comdate=February 9, 2013.
- "Phil De Fries, Chris Spang and Five Others Released From The UFC". fighters.com. April 30, 2013.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language