Paul Y. Hoskisson
|Residence||Provo, Utah, USA|
|Education||B.A. , M.A. , Ph. D Near Eastern Studies|
|Alma mater||Brigham Young University
|Occupation||Religion professor at BYU|
|Religion||The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints|
Paul Y. Hoskisson (born 1943) is an American professor of Ancient scripture and former associate dean of Religious Education at Brigham Young University (BYU). In 2008, he was appointed director of the Laura F. Willes Center for Book of Mormon Research and the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies (FARMS).
Hoskisson is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). He holds bachelors and masters degrees from BYU and received a Ph.D. in Ancient Near Eastern Studies from Brandeis University in 1986.
Hoskisson has taught at BYU since 1981. Before that he taught at the University of Zurich and worked at the University of Tübingen. Hoskisson has also served as Fulbright Program adviser at BYU.
Hoskisson is a member of several professional academic associations, including the Society of Biblical Literature, the American Oriental Society, the American Schools of Oriental Research, and the Mormon History Association. He has served on the board of trustees for the American Schools of Oriental Research.
Hoskisson has published research on the Book of Mormon, the Old Testament, and other LDS subjects. For example, he wrote about pre-600 B.C. scimitars in the Middle East, thus making their presence possible among Lehi and his descendants in the new world in ways that were previously denied. Hoskisson edited Historicity and the Latter-day Saints, an anthology by BYU's Religious Studies Center, in which he contributed a paper on the need for historicity. He also contributed several articles to FARMS' Journal of Book of Mormon Studies that explore possible ancient meanings behind names in the Book of Mormon.
In September 2008, Hoskisson was appointed the director of FARMS and BYU's Laura F. Willes Center for Book of Mormon Research.
- Hoskisson, Paul Y. (1973). Peretz's At Night on the Old Market Place: A Faustian Drama as Mirror of an Age. [master's thesis]. Provo, Utah: BYU Dept. of Humanities and Comparative Literature..
- —— (Fall 1983). "[Book review of] Isaiah: prophet, seer, and poet". BYU Studies 23 (4): 503–08.
- —— (1986). The Deities and Cult Terms in Mari: An Analysis of the Textual Evidence. [doctoral thesis]. Brandeis University..
- —— (1986). "A Latter-day Saint Reading of Isaiah in the Twentieth Century: The Example of Isaiah 6". The Old Testament and the Latter-day Saints: The 14th Annual Sidney B. Sperry Symposium. Orem, Utah: Randall Book Company. pp. 193–210. ISBN 0-934126-96-8.
- —— (1989). "Where Was Ur of the Chaldees?". In H. Donl Peterson; Charles D. Tate Jr. The Pearl of Great Price: Revelations From God. Religious Studies Center Monograph Series 14. Provo, Utah: Religious Studies Center, BYU. pp. 119–136. ISBN 0-88494-683-5.
- —— (1990). "Scimetars, Cimeters! We Have Scimitars! Do We Need Another Cimeter?". In Stephen D. Ricks; William J. Hamblin. Warfare in the Book of Mormon. Provo, Utah: FARMS. ISBN 0-87579-300-2.
- —— (Summer 1990). "Explicating the Mystery of the Rejected Foundation Stone: The Allegory of the Olive Tree". BYU Studies 30 (3): 77–87.
- —— (July 1991). "Research and Perspectives: Where Was the Ur of Abraham?". Ensign (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).
- —— (2000). "Lehi and Sariah". Journal of Book of Mormon Studies (Provo, Utah: FARMS) 9 (1).
- —— (2000). "What's in a Name?: Nephi". Journal of Book of Mormon Studies (Provo, Utah: FARMS) 9 (2): 64–5.
- —— (2001). "The Witness for Christ in Psalm 22". Covenants, Prophecies and Hymns of the Old Testament: The 30th Annual Sidney B. Sperry Symposium. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. pp. 290–301.
- —— (2001). "Need For Historicity: Why Banishing God From History Removes Historical Obligation". In Hoskisson, Paul Y. Historicity and the Latter-day Saint Scriptures. Religious Studies Center Monograph Series 18. Provo, Utah: Religious Studies Center, BYU. pp. 99–122. ISBN 1-57734-928-8.
- ——; Brian M. Hauglid; John Gee (2002). "Irreantum". Journal of Book of Mormon Studies (Provo, Utah: FARMS) 11 (1): 90–3.
- —— (2003). "Straightening Things Out: The Use of Strait & Straight in the Book of Mormon". Journal of Book of Mormon Studies (Provo, Utah: FARMS) 12 (2): 58–71.
- —— (2004). "The Name Cumorah". Journal of Book of Mormon Studies (Provo, Utah: FARMS) 13 (1-2): 158–60.
- ——, ed. (2005). Sperry Symposium Classics: The Old Testament. Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book. ISBN 1-59038-533-0.
- —— (2006). "[Book review of] Did God Have a Wife?". BYU Studies 45 (2): 186–89.[dead link]
- ——; Michael D. Rhodes (2007). "Ancient Semitic in Egyptian Pyramids?". Journal of Book of Mormon Studies (Provo, Utah: FARMS) 16 (1): 74–75.
- "The Deities and cult terms in Mari : an analysis of the textual evidence /...". Copyright Catalog (1978 to present). United States Copyright Office. 1985. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Hoskisson, Paul Y. (July 1991). "Research and Perspectives: Where Was the Ur of Abraham?". Ensign. Retrieved 2009-03-10.
- Hoskisson, Joaquina. "For to Sojourn in the Land". Speeches (Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University). Retrieved 2009-03-10.
- "Joaquina V Hoskisson". College of Humanities Faculty Biography. Brigham Young University. Retrieved 2009-03-10.
- "New Director Appointed for the Willes Center and the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies". Insights (Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies) 28 (4). 2008. Retrieved 2009-03-10.
- "3 BYU Students Study Abroad as Fulbright Award Winners". Deseret News. September 21, 1995. Retrieved 2009-03-10.
- Shirts, Kerry A. "Book of Mormon and Archaeology: The Scimeter". Mormonism Researched. Retrieved 2009-03-10.
- Deseret News, September 24th, 2008