||This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2007)|
|— town —|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL-02 & KL-25|
Pathanapuram (Malayalam: 'പത്തനാപുരം' Pathanāpuraṁ) is a village and an administrative division (taluka) situated in the Western Ghats in the Kollam District of Kerala state of India. Its head quarters is at Punalur. Pathanapuram town is about 13 km from the industrial town Punalur, and 44 km for the district headquarters of Kollam. The taluka covers a mountainous area of 1248.32 km2 and has a population of about 360,000 people.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (April 2013)|
Pathanapuram was the capital of Thenmala Desom, a small country. Later it was amalgamated to Elayidathu Swaroopam. Its capital was Kottarakkara. Pathanapuram was a district in this country. In 1764, Marthandavarma conquered Elayidathu Swaroopam and added it to Travancore. Then Pathanapuram became a taluk known as Mandapathumvathil. There were 32 Taluks at that time. In 1905, Taluk headquarters was shifted to Punalur.
- Major townships around Pathanapuram
- Pathanapuram, 2001 population 31,715
- Pattazhy (Pattazhi), 2001 population 17,342
- Pattazhy Vadakkekara (Pattazhi Vadakkekara), 2001 population 14,775
- Piravanthoor (Piravanthur), 2001 population 23,336
- Thalavoor, 2001 population 23,572
- Vilakudy, 2001 population 32,677
There are twenty-three villages in Pathanapuram Taluka:
- Pattazhy Vadakkekkara
- Yeroor (Eroor)
Air: Pathanapuram is situated 89 km from the Thiruvananthapuram International Airport.
Road: The area is well connected to the rest of Kerala by bus services.
Educational and charitable institutions
- University Institute of Technology
- St Stephen's College, Maloor
- Mount Tabor Girl's Higher Secondary
- St Stephens School, Pathanapuram
- C.A.M. High School, Salempuram
- HB High School, Naukkunnu
- St: Mary's Residential School
- Al-Ameen public school
- Mother Susan Memorial English Medium School
- Gandhibhavan, Kundayam
- College of Engineering, Pathanapuram
- N. M. U. P. School
- Govt. N. M. L. P. School
Theatre, art, music and cinema
- Seema DTS Theatre
Pathanapuram assembly constituency is a part of the Mavelikkara Loksabha Constituency.Kodikunnil Suresh is the MP as of 2012 after winning the elections in 2009. He is now the Minister of States (Labour). Pathanapuram is also the home constituency of actor turned politician K. B. Ganesh Kumar. He has won from this constituency in the 2001, 2006 and 2011 Assembly elections. He is the current M. L. A. from Pathanapuram. He was the Minister of Forests, Sports & Cinema till April 2013.
Places of worship
Pathanapuram contains Hindu, Muslim and Christian places of worship.
Hindu Temples include Elikkattoor Sree Mahadeva temple(9 km from town), Kamukumchery Thiruvilangonappan temple, Sree Sankara Narayana Swami Temple (Kurumpakara), Mancode Oripuram Sree Dharma Sastha Temple, Pathanapuram Kavala Devi Temple, Pattazhi Devi Temple, Kundayam Sree Mahadevar Temple, Vellaramon Bhagavathy temple, Kavil Bhagavathy Temple, Manchaloor Madathil Shree Durga Devi Temple, Manchaloor Sreekrishna Swamy Temple and Chekom Mahadevar Temple.
Churches include the Mount Tabore church, Shalepuram Church, St:Stephens C.S.I Church(Puthuval) and Kalanjoor Brethren Christian Church.
Mosques include the Nedumparambu Mosque,Nadukkunnu Pallimukku Mosque,Maloor Mosque,Kundayam Mosque, Mancode Mosque, Padam Mosque,Islamic center (Karammoodu).
Place to visit
- Vazhappara Water Falls
- Punalur Suspension Bridge of Pathanapuram Thaluk ( Only Two Bridges in India in its type)
- Kallada River
- Anchumala Para
Pathanapuram lies on the border of the Periyar National Park.
Pathanapurathu pathu pacha thatha chathu kuthiyirunnu (പത്തനാപുരത്ത് പത്തു പച്ച തത്ത ചത്തു കുത്തിയിരിന്നു) is a popular toungue twister in the Malayalam language. The meaning of this is "Ten dead parrots sat in Pathanapuram"
- "Reports of National Panchayat Directory: Village Panchayat Names of Pathanapuram, Kollam, Kerala". Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India. Archived from the original on 22 April 2013.
- "2001 Census: List of Villages having Population greater than 5000". Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India.
- "Taluks and Villages". Kollam District. Archived from the original on 20 May 2012.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies". Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- "Election 2011: Pathanapuram Constituency Result". India Ballot. Archived from the original on 24 February 2012.
- "Pathanapuram election results". Newsreporter.in. 2011-05-13.
- "Sree Sankara Narayana Swami Temple, Kurumpakara".
- "Pattazhy Devi Temple".
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language