Oxford World's Classics
Oxford World's Classics is an imprint of Oxford University Press. First established in 1901 by Grant Richards and purchased by the Oxford University Press in 1906, this imprint publishes primarily dramatic and classic literature for students and the general public. Its peers include Penguin Classics and Modern Library.
Clothbound editions and their variants (1906 – 1978)
The Oxford World's Classics (clothbound hardback editions) are a series of works published by Oxford University Press between 1906 and 1978. The collection contains over 600 titles that were classed to be “the most famous works of the English Language” and many volumes contain introductions by distinguished authors.
The clothbound hardback editions (and their variants) are usually 15 cm in height, and are identified by the title page usually classing the publication as “The World's Classics”, or having the Oxford World's Classics Emblem. Furthermore, most publications have the publication series number on the title page.
The Oxford World's Classics were marketed as a cheap and assessable series for the general public to read some of the greatest literature works:
- “Cheaply and in little shelf space, the general reader can build up a library of those books, which, having become part of himself, he wishes now to make a part of his home.”
Today, the hardback editions of the Oxford World's Classics have become collectable items for many book lovers and collectors.
Works Never Published
Interruption of publication due to the war and other issues resulted in eight titles never being published, these are:
- 365 G. Leopardi Essays, Dialogues and Thoughts [Never Published]
- 374 C. A. Sainte-Beuve Causeries du Lundi, Vol. III [Never Published]
- 375 C. A. Sainte-Beuve Causeries du Lundi, Vol. IV [Never Published]
- 376 C. A. Sainte-Beuve Causeries du Lundi, Vol. V [Never Published]
- 377 C. A. Sainte-Beuve Causeries du Lundi, Vol. VI [Never Published]
- 378 C. A. Sainte-Beuve Causeries du Lundi, Vol. VII [Never Published]
- 379 C. A. Sainte-Beuve Causeries du Lundi, Vol. VIII [Never Published]
- 618 ?
There are 612 titles in the Oxford World's Classics series; the last title published is #620.
- Dust Jacket Leaflet (Robbery Under Arms (1949) Oxford University Press: London).
- Dust Jacket Leaflet (Rolf, Boldrewood (1949) Robbery Under Arms Oxford University Press: London).
- :Bibliographical guide
- UK & Europe website
- USA website
- Bibliographical guide to the clothbound World's Classics published between 1901 and 1978
|This article about a media company in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a publishing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language