Usmani or Osmani or Othmani or Uthmani (Arabic: عثمانی) is a large community (Urdu: Biradari), found mainly in South Asia. The word Usmani or Osmani (one and the same thing) is a surname. Osmani are found throughout South Asia, and have spread across Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.
The Shaikh Usmani are a Urdu speaking community, and many are found among the Sindhis of Pakistan.They are of Arab origin. The word usmani derived from Hazrat Usman Ghani (R.A), the third caliph of Islam. One of the sub-continent's well known personalities Hazrat Maulana Shabir Ahmed Usmani (Sheikh ul Islam) belongs to this origin. They claim that they came in India with sufi fakir Hazrat Khwaja Muinuddin Chisti .
They claim to have Turk ancestry and are found mainly in North-West India and Pakistan.They include the descendants of Karlugh Turks who came with Taimur in 1398-1399.They live in Hazara region and Kashmir regions of Pakistan.They are Hindko speaking.The Turks who came with Khilji and Slave dynasties also use "usmani" as surname.
Usmani of Bilgram
Ale Usman of Bilgram is the decedents of third Islamic Caliph Hazrat Usman (RA) they came to India from a small town of Kazroon (Ghazroon) in the Fars province of modern day Iran. They first migrated to Herat in Afghanistan and from there they came to India with the army of Mahmood Ghaznavi in eleventh century AD.There first descendent Qazi Yusuf Ghazrooni was appointed the Qazi of Bilgram by Mahmood Ghaznavi. Ale Usman of Bilgram holds the title of Qazi-ul- Bilgram since that time barring brief interregnum where another esteemed faction of Farshori Sheikhs of Bilgram held the position of Qazi.
Notable Ale Usman of Bilgram
- Qazi Yusuf Ghazrooni fatehe Bilgram- 1018 AD
- Qazi Muhamad Yusuf Bilgrami S/O Qazi Abul Makarim writer of Hadyat us Sultaniyah-1744 AD
- Qazi Ahmadullah Alias Mohammad Usman Bilgrami S/O Qazi Muhmmad Ihsan Bilgrami writer of Musajjalat fi tarikhul Quzzat, CA-1176 (H)/1782 AD
- Maohmmad Mahmoodul Hamd Bilgrami writer of Tankhihul Kalam Fi- tarikhul Bilgram -1918 AD
- Qazi Shariful Hassan Bilgrami writer of Khitta –e-Pak Bilgram (Tarikhe Bilgram)- 1960 AD
- Asim Inam Osmani CEO, Osmani & Company (Pvt.) Ltd.
- Inam Ahmed Osmani Chairman, Osmani & Company (Pvt.) Ltd.
- Muhammad Taqi Usmani
- Allama Mufti Maulana Muhammad Rafi Usmani
- Tanzil Haider Usmani
- M. A. G. Osmani
- Given name