Nikhil Baran Sengupta
|Nikhil Baran Sengupta|
|Born||Nikhil Baran Sengupta
13 December 1943
|Occupation||art director, actor, painter and production designer|
Nikhil Baran Sengupta (born 13 December 1943) is a Hindi, Bengali, and Oriya art director, actor, painter and production designer. He made his debut as an art-director with "Gapa hele be Sata"(1975). His contribution to the success of films such as Janani(1984), Sahari Bagha(1985), Maa O Mamata, Suna Chadhei(1987), Jugantar, Tahader Katha, Bagh Bahadur(1989) and Mr. and Mrs. Iyer(2002) has been always acknowledged but less talked about.
In his 40 years of career span in the film industry, he has been instrumental in encouraging young talents from Orissa to take center stage. In 1994, he was awarded as the Best Art Director for "Janani" and in 2009, he was awarded the Guru Kelu Charan award in the lifetime achievement category.
Nikhil Baran Sengupta was born in December 13, 1943. He grew up in Cuttack, the former capital and the largest city of the state of Orissa, India. He did his early schooling in Ranihat School Cuttack, and later went to the Ravenshaw University, but his heart was with the world of art, that took him to Kolkata to study art in Government College of Art & Craft.
Upon completion of his studies in 1969, he worked with a number of advertising firms, as a visualiser and as an illustrator for several magazines. He delved into painting and held few exhibitions of his works. However, once he got into the film industry, he did not have any time to look back.
A pioneer for the Oriya film industry, Nikhil da has the enviable distinction of working for more than 100 films in three languages – Oriya, Bengali and Hindi – and with 35 directors. He is lone member of the Oriya film industry to work with stalwarts like Aparna Sen, Buddhadeb Dasgupta, Manmohan Desai, Amol Palekar, Prasant Nanda, Biplab Roy Choudhury, Nitai Palit, Govind Tej and Raju Mishra.
Winner of three State Awards for art direction – Hakim Baboo, Janani and Hisab Nikas – his distinct debut came with Oriya film industry’s first color film Gapa Helebi Sata. The jury of Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra Award in recognition of his services and eminence has great pleasure in nominating Shri Nikhil Baran Sengupta for the award in the category of “ Eminent Person” in Cinema for the year 2008.
Nikhil Da is married to Bijoya Sengupta. They have two sons- Neel Sengupta and Biman Sengupta. Currently based at Bhubaneswar, whenever gets time from his shoots, Nikhil da loves to paint with water colours at his leisure.
- Tora mora katha heba chup chap (2011)
- Ae Milana Juga Jugara (2010)
- Aaynate (2008)
- Pari Mahal (2003)
- Mr. and Mrs. Iyer (2002)
- House of Memories (2000)
- Nirbachana (1994)
- Suna Bhauja (1994)
- Bastra Haran (1991)
- Chakadola Karuchi Leela (1990)
- Maa Mate Shakti De (1990)
- Asuchi Mo Kalia Suna (1989)
- Bagh Bahadur (1989)
- Bidhira Bidhan (1989)
- Pua Moro Kala Thakura (1988)
- Chaka Aakhi Sabu Dekhuchi (1987)
- Suna Chadhei (1987)
- Tunda Baida (1987)
- Sahari Bagha (1985)
- Chaka Bhaunri (1985)
- Hakim Babu (1985)
- Jaga Hatare Pagha (1985)
- Samay Bada Balwan (1985)
- Janani (1984)
- Hisab Nikas (1982)
- Naiyya (1979)
- Balidan (1978)
- Galpa Helebi Sata (1976)
- Shesha Shrabana (1976)
- Yugant (1995)
- Shivalika (2013)
- "Nikhil Baran Sengupta". IMDB. 1943. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Shesha Shrabana". IMDB. 1976. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Janani". IMDB. 1984. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Sahari Bagha". IMDB. 1985. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Suna Chadhei". IMDB. 1987. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Bagh Bahadur". IMDB. 1989. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Mr. and Mrs. Iyer". IMDB. 2002. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Rhythm rhapsody in guru’s memory". The Telegraph (Kolkata). 6 September 2008. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- "Guru Kelu Charan award". http://www.narthaki.com. 2009. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Nikhil Baran Sengupta|
- Nikhil Baran Sengupta at the Internet Movie Database
- Shri Nikhil Baran Sengupta at Srjan
- facebook link- https://www.facebook.com/nikhilbaran.sengupta/info