National Research Foundation
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (December 2009)|
The National Research Foundation is a foundation of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in the United Arab Emirates. It has been designed to promote research activity in private and public universities and colleges, at centers of research in institutes and in companies, by individuals and by research teams in the United Arab Emirates.
|National Research Foundation UAE|
|Formation||March 7, 2008|
|Purpose/focus||Funding Research in the UAE|
|Location||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Region served||United Arab Emirates|
|Official languages||Arabic, English|
|Director||Dr. Husam Sultan Al Ulama|
|Parent organization||Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research|
In the United Arab Emirates (UAE), a National Research Foundation was created in March 2008, by a decree signed by Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, Minister of Higher Education & Scientific Research. The National Research Foundation is a Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research initiative intended to promote and coordinate research activity, to provide research leadership in the country and to provide funding support on a competitive basis to researchers based in the United Arab Emirates. In its early years, research projects that survive international peer review, that contribute social and economic benefits to the UAE and which enhance the development process in that country, have been favored.
Vision and mission
The vision of the NRF is stated as: "To support world-class research activities, and create an internationally competitive research environment and innovation system in the United Arab Emirates."
The mission of the NRF is: "To build an internationally competitive research capacity for the economic and social development of the United Arab Emirates"
It is intended that these research activities will enable the UAE to retain good scientists, to foster ideas and knowledge and to enable the businesses of the UAE to be more competitive and enhance the lives of its citizens.[attribution needed]
Maintaining objectives are essential to advancing NRF’s vision and the mission, they are:
- Discovery: develop and maintain a solid foundation of world-class research across a range of nationally relevant disciplines.
- Linkage: encourage and extend cooperative approaches to research between universities, government and industry.
- Research Infrastructure: increase the level and quality of research infrastructure in UAE.
- Innovation and entrepreneurship: contribute towards the building of an internationally competitive innovation system and culture of entrepreneurship in UAE.
- Research education and training, and careers: contribute to high-quality research education and training, and foster career opportunities for early career researchers, particularly UAE nationals.
- Public engagement: increase public and government awareness and understanding of the benefits of national research and the important results from NRF-funded projects.
- Good governance: implement best-practice governance and organizational structures consistent with transparency and accountability.
- Vision and mission statements at the website of the National Research Foundation of the United Arab Emirates.