Museum of Fine Arts (MBTA station)
|MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS|
|Address||Huntington Avenue at Louis Prang/Ruggles Street, Boston|
Green Line "E" branch
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Rebuilt||2003 (new station)|
|Owned by||Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority|
|Passengers (2009)||1,676 (weekday average)|
Museum of Fine Arts is a surface-level subway stop on the E branch of the MBTA Green Line. It is located in a dedicated median along Huntington Avenue in Boston, Massachusetts, between Museum Road and Ruggles Street. The station is named after the adjacent Museum of Fine Arts, although it also provides access to Northeastern University, Wentworth Institute of Technology, and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Museum of Fine Arts station is wheelchair accessible when served by low-floor trams.
The modern Green Line "E" Branch opened on February 16, 1941 with the completion of the Huntington Avenue subway from Copley to the Northeastern Incline. (Before then, trams had run on the surface from the Boylston Street portal). Until the 1970s, there were not truly distinct stations on the surface portion of the line; passengers merely waited on street corners. Museum of Fine Arts first appeared on system maps in 1990 as Museum (sometimes Museum/Ruggles), and small asphalt platforms were installed north of Museum Road around that time. Most current system maps show the name as Museum Fine Arts to save space, though the MBTA still uses the full Museum of Fine Arts name on Green Line-only maps and station signage.
In a renovation that took place in 2002 and 2003, a new handicapped-accessible station was built between Museum Road and Ruggles Street. Wiring slots for an automatic fare collection system were installed during the upgrade, though fare collection at the station is still on board trains. A signal prioritization system for Northeastern University and all stops further outbound is also in place.
- CT2 Sullivan Station - Ruggles Station via Kendall/MIT
- CT3 Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center - Andrew Station via B.U. Medical Center
- 8 Harbor Point/UMass - Kenmore Station via B.U. Medical Center & Dudley Station
- 19 Fields Corner Station - Ruggles Station via Grove Hall & Dudley Station
- 39 Forest Hills Station - Back Bay Station via Huntington Avenue
- 47 Central Square, Cambridge - Broadway Station via South End Medical Area,Dudley Station & Longwood Medical Area
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Museum of Fine Arts (MBTA station)|
- MBTA Green Line -- Museum of Fine Arts Station
- Museum Road entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Station from Ruggles Street from Google Maps Street View
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language