Morning After Dark
|"Morning After Dark"|
|Single by Timbaland featuring Nelly Furtado and SoShy|
|from the album Shock Value II|
|Released||October 26, 2009
(see release history)
|Length||3:52 (Album Version)
4:02 (without Nelly Furtado)
|Label||Blackground / Mosley |
|Writer(s)||Tim Mosley, Jerome Harmon, Deborah Epstein, Michelle Bell, Keri Hilson, Nelly Furtado, James Washington, John Maultsby|
|Producer||Timbaland, Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon|
|Timbaland singles chronology|
"Morning After Dark" is a song by American hip hop record producer and rapper, Timbaland taken from his third studio album, Timbaland Presents Shock Value II. The song features French singer SoShy and was released as the first single from the album on October 26, 2009. The international version of the song features an additional rap verse from Canadian singer Nelly Furtado and it is this version which features on the album.
The SoShy-only version of the song premiered on October 16, 2009, on Ryan Seacrest's KIIS-FM radio show, On Air with Ryan Seacrest. Timbaland said the song is "very interesting — [it features] this new artist on my label called SoShy from Paris. We're both rapping. The song, I can't describe it, it's so different. It's not different for me, but I can tell you this — it fits everything going on with the vampire theme. It fits everything with Twilight". When asked about why he picked the song as the first single he said:
I picked 'Morning After Dark' for the first single because the record has the most unique sound from the whole album and when I kept looking at my new artist, SoShy, her whole image fits, like, that song where the song is kinda hard, but not hard, but sexy. She just fit in 'Morning After Dark', she actually came up with the concept of the track. I had the track, but she came up with the concept and I had blended in the concept of wanting to be cool to make the hook kinda talking about a vampire... That is a Timbaland signature record.
It was later confirmed that Nelly Furtado has recorded a new verse to feature on the song which will appear on the album but not on the video version. The version featuring Nelly Furtado was released internationally whilst the version without was released in the US. Later on December 5, 2009 the international version was made available to US iTunes.
Timbaland performed part of the lead single "Morning After Dark" live at one of the album's launch parties at Mandalay Bay Beach on October 17 and again During the F1 in Abu Dhabi, UAE on October 30, 2009. Then he appeared with Nelly Furtado and SoShy for the first fully featured live performance of the song at the American Music Awards (2009) on November 22, 2009. On November 23, 2009, the trio appeared on The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien for an encore performance. The song was featured in a promo for two episodes of the CW's Gossip Girl titled "They Shoot Humphrey's, Don't They?" and "The Last Days of Disco Stick". And also, most of the live shows contain samples from Michael Jackson's well-known song "Thriller", as well as using Vincent Price's laugh at the end of the performance.
Mariel Concepcion from Billboard magazine said "from the sounds of the first single, the producer is back in stride. Much like the material on his first set, the song heaves with massive sub-bass and weighty kick drums. [...] Timbaland flirtatiously harmonizes over a galactic-sounding, double-speed piano and thumping beats. [...] He croons on the catchy hook, which features his new label signee, SoShy. While comparisons to the 2007 cut "Return the Favor" are undeniable-lacking shock value on that end-this club banger will send shockwaves through your speakers nonetheless. However Nick Levine of Digital Spy was less impressed. He said "Sadly, this vamp-themed lead single, complete with oh-so-contemporary Twilight-inspired video, is somewhat lacking in bite. The production is suitably sinister, the beats are as sharp as tiny ice-picks, and there's capable support from Nelly Furtado and newcomer SoShy, but it's hard to shake the feeling that there's little here Timbo hasn't given us before. From a man who's built his reputation on boundary-pushing, that's a bit of a disappointment." (3 out of 5 stars)
Track listing and formats
- UK CD Single
- "Morning After Dark" (featuring Nelly Furtado & SoShy) — 3:52
- "Morning After Dark" (Chew Fu 2016 B-Boy Fix Remix) — 5:03
- UK Digital Download E.P.
- "Morning After Dark" (Manhattan Clique Main) — 3:28
- "Morning After Dark" (Chew Fu 2016 B-Boy Fix Remix) — 5:02
- "Morning After Dark" (Moto Blanco Radio) — 3:47
- US Digital Download E.P.
- "Morning After Dark" (Chris Lake Remix) — 3:28
- "Morning After Dark" (Kaskade Remix) — 3:47
- "Morning After Dark" (Feed Me Remix) — 4:53
- "Morning After Dark" (Chew Fu 2016 B-Boy Fix Remix) — 5:03
The music video was directed by Paul "Coy" Allen and was filmed in November 2009. The video uses the version of the song that features only SoShy because Nelly's verse was recorded after Timbaland and SoShy filmed the music video. On November 16, 2009, Rap Up released a 50-second preview/teaser of what the video will entail. The video premiered exclusively on Timbaland's official website on November 22, 2009. The video is an estimated 7 minutes in length, longer than the song itself, featuring a story plot which begins with a girl who has been studying for a year in Italy, talking to her mother on the phone and then a friend who convinces her to go to a nightclub. While she's talking the camera gives a closeup of a birthmark or scar in the shape of two overlapping circles. On the way to the club, she is being tracked by a wall-walking vampire, as well as a black cat and Timbaland's character. As the vampire moves in on her, Timbaland's character zips in between them without her noticing. The cat changes into the form of a Japanese businessman to board the bus after her where SoShy appears singing her verses, and as she gets off the bus, SoShy intercepts the cat/businessman keeping him from leaving the bus after her. The girl meets yet another man at the club who appears to be a friend or lover, but as they are dancing, she notices a woman staring at her strangely while two other dancers mime a vampire attack on the dance floor. Rattled, she runs out and her companion follows to comfort her and asks her to tell him what she saw, to which she replies "I think I saw a vampire". This scene is very similar to the iconic scene in Twilight upon which the video is based.
Her friend's attitude immediately takes on a more threatening quality as a sudden lunar eclipse happens above them but before he can do anything he is confronted by Timbaland and SoShy's characters. He tells them that this time he's brought a couple of friends, and the vampire and the cat man appear to back him up only for the three of them to be frightened away by much larger crowd that Timbaland summons. The woman caught between the two sides looks down to see that her circular birthmark is glowing and looks like the eclipse, and the necklace worn by the vampire who was staring at her in the club. She quickly wakes up from the dream, only to see that the television is playing what it was at the start of the dream and the phone is ringing with her mother on the other end as the black cat comes in through the window.
On November 27, 2009, an edited version of the video was released for the version of the song that features Nelly Furtado. Nelly is featured in the video, appearing in a kitchen with a black cat while singing her verse. 
The song debuted at 83 on the Hot 100 Airplay (Radio Songs) chart in the US on the week of November 9, 2009. It debuted at number 52 in Canada. It debuted at number 16 on the Swedish Singles Top 60 on the week of November 5. It also debuted at number 62 on the ARIA Charts in Australia on the week of November 9. On the week ending December 12, 2009, it also debuted at number 76 on the Billboard Hot 100 and peaked at number 61. On December 6, 2009, it entered at number nine on the UK Singles Chart and number five on the UK R&B Chart, it has since climbed to number six and number three respectively. In Germany the song enjoyed a successful chart run; after peaking at number six it remained in the top thirty singles for twelve weeks.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||12|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||23|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||3|
|European Hot 100 Singles||8|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||12|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||6|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||21|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||6|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||3|
|US Billboard Hot 100||61|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||12|
|Hungary (Single Top 10)||8|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||20|
|UK Singles Chart||157|
|European Hot 100 Singles||42|
|German Singles Chart||66|
|Hungarian Airplay Chart||32|
|Romanian Top 100 ||5|
|United States||Digital download||October 26, 2009||Blackground / Mosley|
|United States||Top 40 Mainstream and Rhythmic radio|
|United Kingdom||Digital Download||November 23, 2009|
|CD single||November 30, 2009|
- "Morning After Dark". itunes au. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- "Sneak Peek: Timbaland f/ SoShy – ‘Morning After Dark’". Rap-Up.com. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- Reid, Shaheem (2009-09-16). "Timbaland's Shock Value 2 Inspired By 'Twilight'". MTV Network. Retrieved 2009-10-04.
- "Music - News - Timbaland talks 'Shock Value 2'". Digital Spy. 2009-11-28. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "New Music: Timbaland f/ Nelly Furtado & SoShy – ‘Morning After Dark’". Rap-Up.com. 2009-10-22. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- "The American Music Awards: Keeping the Michael Jackson Tributes Going « Idolator: Music News, Reviews, And Gossip". Idolator.com. 2009-11-20. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "Music - Singles Reviews - Timbaland ft. Nelly Furtado, SoShy: 'Morning After Dark'". Digital Spy. 2009-11-30. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "Morning After Dark (feat. Nelly Furtado & SoShy) - EP by Timbaland". iTunes. Apple Inc. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- "Morning After Dark (Featuring Nelly Furtado & SoShy)". Amazon.com. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- "Video Static: Music Video News: BOOKED: Timbaland f/ SoShy - Paul Coy Allen, director". videostatic. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- "soshy (soshyshy) on twitter". soshy on twitter. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- "Video: Timbaland f/ Nelly Furtado & SoShy – ‘Morning After Dark’". Rap-Up.com. 2009-11-27. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "Timbaland and SoShy - Morning after dark - Music Charts". acharts.us. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- "Chartifacts - Week Commencing: 9 November 2009". ARIA Charts. Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- "Timbaland – Charts & Awards – Billboard Singles". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation.
- "Australian-charts.com – Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy – Morning After Dark". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy – Morning After Dark – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Ultratop.be – Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy – Morning After Dark" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Ultratop.be – Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy – Morning After Dark" (in French). Ultratip. ULTRATOP & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Danishcharts.com – Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy – Morning After Dark". Tracklisten. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Timbaland Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Timbaland. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Finnishcharts.com – Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy – Morning After Dark". Suomen virallinen lista. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Lescharts.com – Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy – Morning After Dark" (in French). Les classement single. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart. Irish Recorded Music Association.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Stichting Nederlandse Top 40.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy – Morning After Dark". VG-lista. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200950 into search.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy – Morning After Dark". Singles Top 60. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy" UK Singles Chart. Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Archive Chart" UK R&B Chart. Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 10 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- Polish Dance Chart ZPAV: April 1 - April 15, 2010
- "Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Soshy – Morning After Dark – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Charts Plus Year end 2009" (PDF). Charts Plus. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- "Best of 2010: European Hot 100 Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- "MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 2010" (in hungarian). Mahasz. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Topul celor mai difuzate piese în România în 2010" (in Romanian). România Liberă. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- "Radio1 - UK Forthcoming Singles". Radio1.gr. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- "music: Morning After Dark (2009)". hmv.com. 2005-12-15. Retrieved 2009-11-17.