Mise en Place
Mise en Place is a restaurant in Tampa, Florida, the core of a group of spin-off restaurants in the area. Named for the French term mise en place, the restaurant started in 1986 as a small catering business. Maryann Ferenc and chef Marty Blitz began the business, now a group of restaurant/ cafes offering full-service modern American cuisine as well as event catering. Mise en Place is located in Tampa architect M. Leo Elliott's 1925 plaza near the University of Tampa (Elliot also created Tampa City Hall (1915) and Ybor City's Cuban Club (1918)
Mise en Place is located in Grand Central Place, including a banquet hall in what was once Lafayette Bank. The restaurant is part of a three story building beside Snow Park, "once considered the world’s smallest city park by the Guinness World Records", along Kennedy Boulevard just west of Tampa’s business district. Tampa architect M. Leo Elliott designed the 1925 plaza, built originally as an office building for physicians.
The Mise en place restaurant business also operates the SONO Cafe at the Tampa Museum of Art and is under contract for a restaurant at the Tampa International Airport. Mise en Place offers a menu "so diverse it is daunting to read while trying to hold a conversation".
Tampa Mayoral candidate Frank Sanchez held his runoff election victory party at the restaurant in 2003. A Democratic National Committee fundraiser with David Plouffe was held at the restaurant in 2009. Ference's reaction to Obama's plans for small business investment was covered in a 2009 Bloomberg Businessweek article.
- Tampa Museum of Art strikes deal with Mise en Place October 8, 2009 Tampa Bay Business Journal
- Elliott Mackle Chefs of the South: Marty Blitz of Mise en Place and Mojo, Tampa December 17, 1995 Page Number: M/4 The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution
- Dominic Welling Exclusive brew for Tampa Airport February 2, 2012 Airport World
- Mark Gordon Mise en Place: Dining with Tampa’s finest September 30, 2011 Business review (Gulf Coast)
- KRIS HUNDLEY; KIM NORRIS; ROBERT KEEFE; ROBERT TRIGAUX [New choice in fine dining: Mise En Place or mine?] Series: TALK OF THE BAY Nov 18, 1996 page 3 St. Petersburg Times
- David Karp and Bill Varian It's Iorio vs. Sanchez in Tampa runoff March 5, 2003 St. Petersburg Times
- Adam C. Smith Obama 2.0 campaign to keep issues alive in Florida, other states April 26, 2009 Tampa Bay Times
- Stacy Perman More Reaction to Obama's Small Business Plan March 18, 2009 Bloomberg Business Week