|Launched||19 October 2008|
|Picture format||PAL 576i(SDTV) 4:3|
|Formerly called||Prime 12
(27 September 1995 - 29 January 2000)
(30 January 2000 - 19 October 2008)
|Sister channel(s)||Channel 5
|MediaCorp - Analogue (PAL-B)||Channel 24 (495.25MHz)|
|MediaCorp - Digital (DVB-T)||Channel 29 (UHF 599.25MHz) Multiplex carrying Mediacorp channels digitally.|
|StarHub TV||Channel 105|
|MediaCorp (via SCTV socket)||Channel 24 (492.25MHz)|
|mio TV||Channel 5 / 621|
MediaCorp TV12 Vasantham or Vasantham (Chinese: 春天频道, Tamil: வசந்தம்) is a (predominantly Tamil) Indian language channel dedicated to the Singaporean Indians in Singapore. It was launched on 27 September 1995 as an English children's and highbrow channel named, Premiere 12 but Tamil programmes were included on 30 January 2000 when it was renamed Central and relaunched as a standalone Tamil channel on 19 October 2008. Programmes in Tamil and other Indian languages has increased from 29 to 69 hours each week. With the extended hours, there are more reality programmes, live talk shows and the introduction of long form dramas.
- 27 September 1995 - Channel 8 began their 24-hour transmission and Tamil programmes, previously aired on Channel 8, was separated from Channel 8 to form Premiere 12, which later included Kids and Arts programmes and was renamed Central, on 30 January 2000.
Central had 3 program belts:
- Kids Central – a children's television channel with enriching educational & animation programming.
- Vasantham Central – a Tamil language channel.
- Arts Central – a channel that showcases art, cultural and largely foreign award-winning productions and incorporated a significant amount of niche programming, making the channel rather distinctive compared to the others.
- 19 October 2008 - Central was restructured. The program belt of Vasantham Central was extended to form the new Vasantham, a full-fledged Indian Channel to provide better television programmes to the Indian community of Singapore, as announced on 1 January 2008 when the Parliament of Singapore decided to expand the Tamil language Vasantham Central into a standalone Tamil language channel.Vasantham took the frequency of the Central.
Transmission hours are from 3:00 pm to 12:00 am on weekdays and from 1:00pm to 12:30am on weekends except public holidays. On Public holidays, they sign-on earlier between 6:00 am and 12 noon with special programmes and sign-off later in the early hours or midnight but on every Indian holidays, the channel broadcast 24 hours for religious observances and for special programmes and movies to keep the viewers entertained through the night.
Opening and closing times
Vasantham starts up at 3:00 pm on weekdays, 1:00pm on weekends, between 6:00am and 10:00am on public holidays and resign-on when 24 hours during Deepavali and the night before the Indian holidays with national anthem being played, main theme and station ident.
At other times when programmes are not transmitted, still image of Vasantham logo will be displayed with the background sound of Radio Oli on FM 96.8 MHz.
There are daily local soap dramas on weekdays, local variety/entertainment and info-educational programmes and 4 Live Shows per week.
- Vasantham Tamil News - The channel's main news in Tamil is shown at 8:30 pm and repeats at 11.30 pm from Monday to Wednesday but on Friday and Weekends, time varies.
There are 7 movie slots per week.
- Tamil Silver Screen – Latest blockbuster Hits from the Kollywood Film Industry.
- Tamil Talkies - Blockbuster Hits of the 90's from the Kollywood Film Industry.
- Bollywood Masti – Blockbuster Hits from the Glitz and Glamour of the Bollywood Film Industry.
- Vasantham Box Office – Evergreen movies of yesteryears from Kollywood.
- Indian Panorama – Featuring regional movies from India. Includes Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada and Punjabi movies.
- Cinema Express – Encore movie slot featuring the best of Kollywood movies.
- Vasantham Gold - Movies from 70's to 80's of Kollywood Film Industry.