|— Municipality —|
|Region||Bicol (Region V)|
|Legislative district||2nd district of Sorsogon|
|• Mayor||Emilio G. Ubaldo|
|• Total||162.40 km2 (62.70 sq mi)|
|• Density||230/km2 ( 600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
Matnog is a third class municipality in the province of Sorsogon, Philippines. It lies at the southernmost tip of the Bicol Peninsula of Luzon Island. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 37,641 people.
Local elders say that the name Matnog comes from the word "matonog" (very audible) - that describes to the loud sound of the waves. The native people of matnog are the Agta, Tabangon, and Cimaron Tribe. The site of one of the busiest seaports in the Philippines, it is the jump off point to the southern Philippines and vice-versa.
- Bon-Ot Big
- Bon-Ot Small
- Caloocan (Pob.)
- Camachiles (Pob.)
- Camcaman (Pob.)
- Genablan Occidental
- Genablan Oriental
- Santa Isabel
- Tablac (Pob.)
- Tabunan (Pob.)
|Population census of Matnog|
|Source: National Statistics Office |
Model Ecological City
A consortium of Filipino and Japanese investors are leading the establishment of an Ecological Model City or Eco City in this town. The "Eco City" is a 50-hectare development zone which will feature eco-friendly industrial and manufacturing plants. It will include an international airport to be built inside the zone.
Matnog serves as ferry terminal to Allen, Northern Samar, on the Maharlika Highway that passes the San Bernardino Strait. By 2019, South Luzon Expressway will have its extension dubbed as Toll Road 5 (TR5) from Lucena City, Quezon.
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Province: Sorsogon". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Matnog, Sorsogon|
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- Matnog, Sorsogon LGU Profile
||Irosin / Santa Magdalena|
|Bulan||San Bernardino Strait / Allen, Northern Samar|
San Vicente, Northern Samar
|San Bernardino Strait / Capul, Northern Samar|