Mary Carey (entertainer)
Mary Carey attending the Exxxotica Expo, Los Angeles, CA on August 26, 2011
|Born||Mary Ellen Cook
June 15, 1980 
Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.
|Other names||Mary Cary, Marey Carey|
|Ethnicity||European and Native American|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||120 lb (54 kg; 8.6 st)|
|No. of adult films||90 (per IAFD),7 (as a director) |
Mary Carey (born June 15, 1980) is an American pornographic actress and film director.
Carey was born Mary Ellen Cook in Cleveland, Ohio to a mother with schizophrenia and a father with cerebral palsy. Her grandparents cared for her from the time she was three months old. After her parents divorced, her mother moved in with Carey and her grandparents. When she was seven years old, she moved with her family from Cleveland to Florida, and the next year Carey was legally adopted by her grandparents.
Carey studied ballet from the age of seven until she was 19 years old. She graduated in 1998 from the Pine Crest School, a Fort Lauderdale private preparatory school. At 19, she joined the dance team at Florida Atlantic University, where she was a student in the theater department.
After her grandfather's death, her grandmother's health worsened and Carey took a job as an exotic dancer to help support the family financially. Upon noticing that the "feature dancers" made much more money, she asked an agent how she could become one too. The agent recommended that she become a porn star (the large fan base that successful porn stars have gives them superior drawing power when they dance in-person at strip clubs). Carey travelled to Los Angeles and made the rounds of producers and studios in the adult film industry, eventually landing a job with Playboy TV.
She was featured on VH1's reality series Celebrity Rehab, and has appeared in more than 80 adult films. She has a product line with Doc Johnson adult toy company, she has authored a book, and she is currently developing a TV series with GoGo Luckey. She appeared in VH1's series Sober House, which premiered in January 2009.
During the 2003 California recall election, Carey signed a contract with Kick Ass Pictures and, as a publicity stunt, they came up with the idea that Carey should run for governor. She was an independent candidate, placing tenth in a field of 135 candidates. She ran on an eleven-point platform that included somewhat tongue-in-cheek promises of taxing breast implants, making lap dances tax-deductible, and creating a "Porn for Pistols" exchange program.
In June 2005, Carey announced her bid for Lieutenant Governor of California as an independent in 2006. She has also said that she hopes to run for a major party nomination to be President of the United States upon her reaching the age of 35, per the minimum age requirement for United States presidents. She dropped out of the race in October 2006 to take care of her mother who had jumped off a building while off her medications.
During and immediately following her gubernatorial bid in 2003, Carey was occasionally featured as a guest on various political talk shows. Carey maintained on the Fox News channel on March 16, 2006 that her pornographic films are not a negative to her political career, citing the political successes of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Ronald Reagan. She also maintained that, unlike the films in which Schwarzenegger and Reagan starred, her films are about "love".
In April 2005, Carey was arrested in connection with a Lakewood, Washington, cabaret sting operation, for violating a city strip club ordinance that forbids dancers from sexually touching themselves. She subsequently made a plea agreement and received a 19-month sentence, which was suspended on the condition that she was not charged with any other offense within one year.
In January/February 2008, Carey was featured on the VH1 reality TV series Celebrity Rehab, receiving treatment for alcoholism. While on Celebrity Rehab, she stated that she would leave the porn industry and straighten out her life because of her mother, who was hospitalized in Florida after jumping off a four-story building the previous month.
In the reunion episode of the show taped approximately six months after leaving rehab, she claimed she had not made an adult movie since becoming sober and intends to never make another one. However, she continues to "feature dance" in clubs, saying that she needs the money to care for her mother, but also hopes to stop doing this. In 2009, however, she made another adult film titled Celebrity Pornhab with Dr. Screw. The film is a pornographic parody of the VH1 show, and includes a sex scene between Mary Carey and a female costar. Drew Pinsky commented in a January 2010 TV Guide story, "She puts together, like, six weeks at a time of sobriety, then drifts away. We're trying to get her to stay with it once and for all." In an interview with AVN magazine, Carey stated that she had entered rehab to tackle an addiction to Xanax (which she had developed around the time she dropped out of her second run for governor) and that the focus on alcohol was created by the show.
During an interview with The Howard Stern Show on November 29, 2010; Pinsky commented that Carey was doing "a lot better". In 2011, Carey was interviewed for Celebrity Rehab Revisited stating that, following the end of Celebrity Rehab, she had quit Xanax and binge drinking, apart from occasional champagne. She had been happily married to an electrician for two years and stopped making adult films, but continued making a living with personal appearances in night clubs and strip clubs. Counselor Bob Forrest, while critical of her continuing to drink "occasional champagne," noted her improvement, saying "it's progress, not perfection and Mary's progressing and she's a million miles away from where she was when we met her five years ago."
- "Mary Carey". iafd.com. Retrieved 2008-10-27.
- Official Mary Carey Bio. URL accessed on April 10, 2010.
- Sarah Kershaw (2003-10-08). "THE CALIFORNIA RECALL: VOTERS; What the Well-Undressed Woman Wears to Concede". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-12-04.
- Mary Carey Bio at IMDb.com
- Mary Carey Interview at RogReviews.com
- WorldNetDaily: Bush dinner's porn star: I'm a praying Christian
- "Porn star quits governor's race". Sydney Morning Herald. 2006-10-24. Retrieved 2010-04-11.
- Gretchen Gallen (2005-09-11). "Mary Carey Faces Judge Over Strip Club Violation". XBiz. Retrieved 2007-03-28.
- "Porn star Mary Carey arrested". USA Today. 2005-04-19. Retrieved 2007-03-28.
- "Video: Celebrity Rehab - Mary Carey and her Toy!". Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- "Episode Cast for: "Celebrity Rehaby with Dr. Drew"!". Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- "Porn Star Mary Carey Drops Out Of California Governor's Race". The Huffington Post. 2006-10-24. Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- Rochlin, Margy (February 1, 2010), "Addicted to Rehab", TV Guide: 34–35
- "Porn star politician auctions breast implants". www.stuff.co.nz. 2009-01-01. Retrieved 2010-04-11. Text " Stuff.co.nz " ignored (help)
- David Sullivan (2009-05-18). "AVN - Mary Carey Pokes Fun at VH1 in 'Celebrity Pornhab With Dr. Screw'". business.avn.com. Retrieved 2010-04-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Mary Carey|
- Official website
- Mary Carey at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Mary Carey at the Adult Film Database
- Mary Carey at the Internet Movie Database
- Mary Carey on Twitter
- Mary Carey on Myspace
- Interview: Mary Carey (Badmouth.net)
- Interview by Stephen Colbert on The Daily Show, June 2005
- Interviews at LukeIsBack.com