Marvel Super Hero Squad Online
||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
|Marvel Super Hero Squad Online|
Promotional comic distributed as free handout during E3 2010.
|Developer(s)||The Amazing Society|
|Series||Marvel Super Hero Squad|
|Release date(s)||April 29, 2011 (US Beta)
November 4, 2011 (Europe Beta)
November 1, 2012 (Server Merge)
|Genre(s)||Massively multiplayer online role-playing game|
Marvel Super Hero Squad Online is a massively multiplayer online game for younger audiences based on the Marvel Super Hero Squad. The open beta version of the game was released on April 29, 2011 (a closed beta was released in early 2011). It is a free-to-play game that supports both microtransactions of its in-game currency and a monthly subscription.
Players collect heroes to form their own Squad. They are able to choose a hero from their Squad to play in a number of games and activities. As they play, the heroes increase not only their power in combat, but unlock animated emotes for use in the social game world zones.
Marvel Super Hero Squad Online has alternate controls, in which with one click the player can move from one place to another, or using the arrow keys or the traditional W, A, S, D keys on a keyboard. Selected characters can fly by pressing on green circles on the ground. If the character is unable to fly, that character can have a double jump or a high/long jump. Points are separated into two compartments, gold and silver. Gold points can be used to buy most heroes, while silver points allow a player to buy additional items for their Headquarters. A prize wheel, somewhat similar to prize wheel in Webkinz, serves as a way for players to more easily unlock free gold or silver and other items. Many characters from the Marvel Universe appear in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online in a traditional Super Hero Squad "super-deformed" style.
Missions have a beat 'em up style where players must defeat a massive amount of enemies to reach the final boss.
Game World Areas are separated as zones. Zones include the Daily Bugle, Baxter Building, and Asgard with all taking a small portion of Spider-Man's, the Fantastic Four's, and Thor's home locations. Additionally, Villainville has been made available for players to visit, as a zone.
Recently as of April 10, 2012, Asgard has been updated with major changes; the Bifrost bridge has been broken, and the city has been attacked and conquered by Loki. Also, Loki's design changes from the original SHS version to the one from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (presumably to foreshadow the events of that Marvel Universe's sixth film). The entrance to the palace has also been replaced with a table holding the Tesseract. By clicking it, players will be able to play a mission with the Movie Loki as the boss and upon victory, receive a 'goodie' Cosmic Cube.
A collectible card game was made available to play in early August 2011. An arcade has been developed where players can play as Deadpool, She-Hulk, Black Panther, Daredevil, Captain America, Thor, Doctor Strange and Jean Grey in selected mini-games. Two characters such as Deadpool and She-Hulk are featured in each mini-game. A challenge system was released that allows players to complete several challenges such as greeting other players, buying new heroes, beating missions or card game quests. Each challenge completed awards the player tickets, silver coins, gold coins and new heroes. The game was released in Europe on November 4, 2011. On November 1, 2012 the European server was merged with the North American server and expanded to encompass more European countries.
^a Only available to monthly subscribers
- ^b Only available through the game's challenge system
- ^c Only available with special code, featured with Marvel Super Hero Squad toys, cards or from an event (such as SDCCI) as of September 1, 2012
- ^d Character was made available to be won as part of a contest
- ^e Only featured in the game's collectible card game feature
- ^f Rotation heroes. Available for a limited time only.
- ^g Only available through a Mystery Box purchase.
The game was developed using the Unity3D engine, so that it is playable in any internet browser on both Microsoft Windows and Apple OS computers. The first debut trailer for Marvel Super Hero Squad Online was released on June 9, 2010.
Marvel Super Hero Squad Online originally did not feature audio for the voice of the characters. An update was released on February 10, 2012 featuring all the characters to have some sort of voice. Over 3000 lines have been recorded for the MMOG. Various voice artists including Tom Kenny (Captain America, Iron Man, MODOK and Deadpool), Alimi Ballard (Falcon and Ultimate Spider-Man), Antony Del Rio (Human Torch, Reptil and Monkey King), Charlie Adler (Doctor Doom, Dr. Octopus, Red Skull, Annihilus and Super-Skrull), Dave Boat (Thor and Thing), Grey DeLisle (Invisible Woman, Ms. Marvel, She Hulk, Elektra, Enchantress, Red She-Hulk, Emma Frost and Spider-Woman), Mikey Kelley (Silver Surfer), Steven Blum (Wolverine, Abomination, Venom, Fin Fang Foom and Sabretooth), Tara Strong (Scarlet Witch, Black Cat, American Dream, Firestar, Jean Grey, Shadowcat, Spider-Girl and Rogue), Laura Bailey (Black Widow, Psylocke and Mystique), Travis Willingham (Hulk, Colossus and Kingpin), Chris Cox (Scarlet Spider) and Phil LaMarr (Gambit, Blade, War Machine and Luke Cage) have done voice work on the game.
- "Marvel Super Hero Squad Online on Gamespot".
- Super Hero Squad Online fires up closed beta
- Marvel and Gazillion Launch Super Hero Squad Online
- "Marvel Super Hero Squad Online Unveiled".
- "Asgard Expansion Pack".
- Super Hero Squad Online teasing Villainville
- Marvel Super Hero Squad Expands into Villianville Where Players Can Be Dark Heroes
- Watch the Super Hero Squad Online Card Game Trailer
- 'Spider-Man: Edge of Time' And 'Super Hero Squad Online' Get The Ultimate Costume Of Miles Morales
- Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Added to Super Hero Squad Online
- Win an Ultimate Comics Spider-Man character in Super Hero Squad Online
- "Gazillion Announces Marvel Super Hero Squad Online". June 8, 2010. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
- "Extensive Cast of Voice Actors Unveiled for Super Hero Squad Online". Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- Official International Website
- Former Europeon Website
- The Amazing Society website
- Gazillion Website
- Facebook page
- Marvel Super Hero Squad Online at the Internet Movie Database
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language