Mario Maurer (มาริโอ้ เมาเร่อ)
4 December 1988
|Other names||Nuttavut Maurer, Oh (nickname)|
|Occupation||Actor, model, singer|
Mario Maurer (Thai: มาริโอ้ เมาเร่อ, Thai pronunciation: [maːríʔôː mawrɤ̂ː], German pronunciation: [ˈmaːʁio ˈmaʊ̯ʁɐ]; born December 4, 1988) is a Thai-German model and actor. Starting off a career as a model at age 16, he later became best known for his lead role in the 2007 film, The Love of Siam and the 2010 sleeper hit, First Love (A Little Thing Called Love). He is also part of a group called 4+1 Channel 3 Superstar with Nadech Kugimiya, Prin Suparat, Pakorn Chatborirak, and Phupoom Phongpanu.
Mario Maurer was born at the Bangkok Christian Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand. He is of Chinese and German descent. His father chose an Italian name for him because he had a faible for Italian motorcycles. Growing up, his father Roland and his mother Waranya owned several gas stations. Later they owned a business in Nakhon Nayok Province for production and export of roll-on deodorants to countries such as France and Germany. Maurer has an elder brother of five years, who was born in Germany. He attended school at St. Dominic Savio Catholic School in Bangkok and now is studying in Ramkhamhaeng University, majoring in Communication Arts.
When Maurer was 16 years old, he was approached at Siam Square to try out modeling. From there on, he started doing photo shoots, commercials and music videos. In 2007, he made his feature film debut in a leading role in The Love of Siam, written and directed by Chukiat Sakweerakul. The role "Tong" brought him many accolades and instant fame far beyond Thailand's borders. Commenting on his new-found fame, "I didn't want to do it, Acting wasn't on my list to do." He decided to do the movie because he trusted the director "Chukiat" and the movie would give him many opportunities. He'd be making money to help his family. He became famous in this film because of his gay role.
The film's promotion did not play up its homosexual romance. Nonetheless, most critics have given extremely positive reviews. When asked about his kissing scenes with Witwisit Hirunwongkul in The Love of Siam, Maurer said, "I was nervous. I've never kissed a man and kissing is not something you do every day." Maurer has been nominated for an Asian Film Awards in the category of Best Supporting Actor for his performance in The Love of Siam, but lost to Sun Hong-Lei for Mongol. He won the Best Actor award in Southeast Asian film category at the 10th Cinemanila International Film Festival. His performance was described as "Mature acting choices within a wide range of situations. Beneath a calm and placid external demeanor his performance he displayed a rich inner struggle dealing with emotional burdens, with family, friends, his social circle and his romantic and sexual awakening."
He won the Best Actor award in Starpics Thai Films Awards and also nominated in Bangkok Critics Assembly and Star Entertainment Awards.
Director Bhandit Rittakol had approached Maurer for Boonchu 9, but he was tied up with other projects. He has been cast in the 2008 film by Chatchai Naksuriya, Friendship. The film is set around 1983. Maurer starring opposite Apinya Sakuljaroensuk, as 12th grade student. That same year he appeared in a segment of the four-story anthology 4 Romance (segment "Joob" or Kiss) directed by Rashane Limtrakul Maurer's projects after 2008 include a comedy-horror film written and directed by Yuthlert Sippapak, Rahtree Reborn, scheduled for release in April 2009, in which he starred opposite Chermarn Boonyasak.
Maurer gained popularity after he starred in the 2010 film First Love (A Little Thing Called Love).
His brother Marco, teamed up in a hip-hop duo "PsyCho & Lil’Mario" with Mario. They have released their debut PsyCho & Lil’Mario: Dem Crazy Boyz on October 31, 2007. He worked as a hypeman in this album. But Maurer later described "It was just for fun. I know myself – I'm not a singer. That's not my dream." n
Maurer participated in endorsements for the first time for Exit Rollon and other popular brands such as The Pizza Company, Sugus, Foremost and now he acted as the presenter for Honda Jazz,Pepsi, Dutchmill and Sony Ericsson. In July 2011, he was signed to become an endorser for the Philippine clothing brand, Penshoppe  He also signed a one movie picture contract with Star Cinema, a Philippine film production company. He will be paired with Erich Gonzales in the film that is due to release in 2012 entitled Suddenly It's Magic. On October 28, 2011, Maurer had a Press and Fan Conference in Philippine International Convention Center with thousands of fans in attendance, as a part of his official launch as a Penshoppe endorser. On October 29, he hit the runway at the Philippine Fashion Week held at SMX Convention Center.
Maurers interest include skateboarding, hip-hop, and cars. Even though he is of Thai Chinese and German descent, he cannot speak German and only understands some Mandarin. He is fluent in Thai and speaks English on a conversational level. He is a Roman Catholic. His father Roland died of a heart attack resulting from diabetes on June 27, 2011. He has a very close relationship with his elder brother who works as a hip-hop artist and actor as well.He has been in a relationship with Sumontip Leuangthai also known as Gubgib for 9 years now. But the couple broke up on January 2013.
Maurer and Witwisit Hiranyawongkul
Due to the success of The Love of Siam, the chemistry between Mew, played by Witwisit Hiranyawongkul and Tong, played by Maurer, has been an issue and a trending topic. Hiranyawongkul has told reporters that he and Maurer are just good friends, and credited the film's editing for their seeming chemistry on-screen: "Usually, when having dialogue in the movie, we were facing different cameras." On the set, their eyes usually met the film crews', who helped make sure they acted with the right expressions.
The two later performed together at a concert after not seeing each other in years, at which Maurer asked him "Mew, do you miss Tong?", and Hiranyawongkul responded "Let me think about that. If Tong didn't invite me, I wouldn't be here".
They were also seen together during the ending credits of the film Love on that Day, in which Mario was the lead actor but in which Hiranyawongkul had not been a member of the cast.
On the English and Thai-language TV show English Breakfast, Maurer was asked by one of its hosts if he has been "accused of being gay" due to his role in The Love of Siam. He replied "Yeah, people accused me, saying 'Are you gay'? You're kissing a man." When asked how he deals with that, he replied "If people see me in my eyes or talk to me, they'll know I'm a man. I'm not gay."
|2007||The Love of Siam||Tong|
|2009||Rahtree Reborn||Rang||First horror-comedy film||Laila Boonyasak|
|2010||Saranae Siblor||Ake||Plerng Torranong tv series-July 9, 2011 – August 13, 2011|
|First Love||P'Shone||Asian sleeper hit||Pimchanok Luevisadpaibul|
|Saranae Hen Pee||Do|
|Tai Fah Tawan Diow||Minho||Lead Role||Chat Pariyachat|
|2011||Bangkok Kung Fu||Naa|
|The Outrage||Pra Anon|
|Plerng Torranong||Plerngrit "Plerng"||Lead Role||Nattaporn Temeerak|
|2012||My True Friend||Gun||Natcha Juntapun|
|Love On That Day||Martin||First Chinese Movie|
|Jan Dara (The Beginning)||Jan||Pinky Savika|
|Rak Sud TEEN||Aek||Amena Gul|
|Rak Kerd Nai Talad Sode||Tong||Rasri Balenciaga|
|Suddenly It's Magic||Marcus Hanson||First Filipino movie||Erich Gonzales|
|2013||Jan Dara: The Avenger||Jan|
|Pee Mak Phra Khanong||Mak||Davika Horne|
|Madam Dun||Neks||Lead Role-upcoming||Chermarn Boonyasak|
|The Rising Sun: Roy Ruk Hak Liam Tawan||Onizuka Takeshi||Lead Role-upcoming||Nattaporn Temeerak|
Awards and nominations
|2008||Asian Film Awards||
|Starpics Thai Films Awards||
|Bangkok Critics Assembly||Nominated||
|Star Entertainment Awards||Nominated||
|Cinemanila International Film Festival||Won||
|2010||Top Awards 2012||
|Bangkok Critics Assembly||
|Star Entertainment Awards||
|2011||MThai Awards||Star Couple for 2011 (with Pimchanok Luevisadpaibul)||Won|
|2012||Asian Film Awards||
|Top Awards 2012||
- Biography Mario Maurer (Thai)
- "Definitions of Mario Maurer ", She and I Magazine, June 2008-issue, No. 579, Pages 80-83.
- "The Rising Stars Mario & Lee Dong Wook," นิตยสารแพรว ฉบับ, issued on October 25th, 2008, Pages 190-199.
- [interview with Mario Maurer "Woody was born here," the Modern Nine TV on August 3, 2008 from 10 to 11 PM.]
- Love of Siam, Movieseer.com; retrieved 2007-12-29
- Francois Oosthuizen, "2Profile_MARIO". 2 Magazine. September 2008. p.67-81
- Queer cinema shines at Thai Film Awards. Asiaarts.ucla.edu. Retrieved on 2012-01-13.
- Saeng-Aroon, Vitaya (6 December 2007). "Love in a hot climate". The Nation (Thailand). Archived from the original on 2 May 2008. Retrieved 13 December 2007.
- Nominations & winners asianfilmawards.org
- 10th Cinemanila International Film Festival[dead link]
- 2007 Thai film awards summary, Thaicinema.org. Retrieved on 17 February 2011 .
- All in the family dailyxpress.net
- Mario and Saiparn in Friendship sanook.com (Thai)
- “ปรัชญา” เชื่อมั่น รักต่างมุมมอง “ฝัน-หวาน-อาย-จูบ” โดนแน่ dailynews.co.th (Thai)
- Buppha Reborn .thaicinema.org
- "Mario Maurer". Hamburger Magazine. November 2007.
- and cloud 9 commercial by Unilever company Honda Jazz positioningmag.com
- Thai heartthrob Mario Maurer set to visit Manila for a local endorsement. Mario is expected to be in Philippines on October to have his photoshoot for Penshoppe.
- Mario Maurer meets with Star Cinema executives for a possible movie and Maurer really have fun to have a movie with Erich Gonzales. | PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz. PEP.ph (2011-08-08). Retrieved on 2012-01-13.
- Mario Maurer Fan Conference (FanCon) in Manila Announced. October 13, 2011. Retrieved October 29, 2011
- ABS-CBN News. September 28, 2011. Retrieved October 29, 2011
- Mario Maurer to headline Philippine Fashion Week this October. PEP.ph. October 16, 2011. Retrieved October 29, 2011
- "the other Mario" Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- The secret of Mario, page 28, ISBN :9789740528661
-  (Thai)
- Krissa, Donida (January 12, 2012). "Mario Maurer isn't bothered by Erich Gonzales revealing that he has a girlfriend.". Push. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- witwisit hiranyawongkul and mario maurer
- 4-1 Superstar Concert Thai
- Maurer, Mario (July 31, 2011). Interview with Suphajon Klinsuwan. English Breakfast. TPBS. Bangkok.
- STARPICS THAI FILMS AWARDS # 5 (๒๕๕๐) thaicinema.org (Thai)
- ผลรางวัลชมรมวิจารณ์บันเทิง ครั้งที่ 16 ประจำปี 2550 popcornmag.com (Thai)
- Result of Star Entertainment Awards manager.co.th (Thai)
- 2008 DEKADA CINEMANILA AWARDEES Dekada Cinemanila
- "2012 Asian Film Awards List of Nominees". Retrieved October 7, 2012. Text " Eugene Domingo gets Best Actress nomination" ignored (help)
- "Moments with Mario Maurer". Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- รายงานผลรางวัล TOP AWARDS 2008[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Mario Maurer|