Marc Bekoff (born September 6, 1945) is Professor Emeritus of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Colorado, Boulder. He currently lives in Colorado and lectures internationally on issues of animal behavior, cognitive ethology (the study of animal minds), and behavioral ecology.
Like Jane Goodall, Marc Bekoff is an ethologist, which means a scientist who studies animal behavior. With Goodall, he co-founded Ethologists for the Ethical Treatment of Animals: Citizens for Responsible Animal Behavior Studies.
In May 2010, Bekoff wrote a piece on "Expanding Our Compassionate Footprint" for the Greater Good Science Center's online magazine. He argued that humans can learn from and should incorporate the empathy displayed elsewhere within the animal kingdom: "...if we want to understand the roots of human goodness, we've got to look beyond humans."
Marc Bekoff has published more than 200 papers and 22 books. His books include the following:
- Species of mind: The philosophy and biology of cognitive ethology (with Colin Allen, 1997)
- Nature's purposes: Analyses of function and design in biology (edited with Colin Allen and George Lauder, 1998)
- Animal play: Evolutionary, comparative, and ecological perspectives (edited with John Byers, 1998)
- Encyclopedia of animal rights and animal welfare (1998)
- The cognitive animal: Empirical and theoretical perspectives on animal cognition (edited by Marc Bekoff, Colin Allen, and Gordon Burghardt, 2002)
- Minding animals: Awareness, emotions, and heart (2002)
- The Ten Trusts: What we must do to care for the animals we love (Jane Goodall and Marc Bekoff, 2002)
- Animals Matter: A Biologist Explains Why We Should Treat Animals with Compassion and Respect (2007)
- The Emotional Lives of Animals: A Leading Scientist Explores Animal Joy, Sorrow, and Empathy and Why They Matter (2007)
- Wild Justice: The Moral Lives of Animals (Marc Bekoff and Jessica Pierce, 2009) ISBN 978-0-226-04161-2
- The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons For Expanding Our Compassion Footprint (2010)
- HighBeam Research (2012). "Bekoff, Marc 1945- - Contemporary Authors". Retrieved on 2012-06-01 from http://www.encyclopedia.com/article-1G2-3413200047/bekoff-marc-1945.html.
- Boulder Masters Cycling Team (2011-12-23). "Marc Bekoff". Team Blog, Boulder Orthopedics Cycling Team, 23 December 2011. Retrieved on 2012-06-01 from http://bouldermasterscycling.com/2011/12/23/marc-bekoff/.
- "Spotlight on CAPS’ Patrons". Captive Animals Protection Society.
- Bekoff, Marc (2010-05-20). "Expanding Our Compassion Footprint". Retrieved on 2012-06-01 from http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/expanding_our_compassion_footprint.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language