Manchester Township, Michigan
|Manchester Township, Michigan|
|— Township —|
|Township Hall, S. Macomb St., Manchester|
|• Total||38.8 sq mi (100.4 km2)|
|• Land||37.8 sq mi (98.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|Elevation||978 ft (298 m)|
|• Density||120/sq mi ( 46/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626665|
- Elba is a hamlet in the township that had a post office from 1834 until 1853.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 38.8 square miles (100.4 km2), of which 37.8 square miles (98.0 km2) is land and 0.89 square miles (2.3 km2), or 2.32%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,102 people, 1,617 households, and 1,151 families residing in the township. The population density was 107.8 per square mile (41.6/km²). There were 1,718 housing units at an average density of 45.2 per square mile (17.4/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.15% White, 0.37% African American, 0.46% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.27% from other races, and 0.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.15% of the population.
There were 1,617 households out of which 34.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.8% were non-families. 24.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.3% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 29.5% from 25 to 44, 25.8% from 45 to 64, and 12.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 96.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $55,847, and the median income for a family was $62,786. Males had a median income of $50,625 versus $30,333 for females. The per capita income for the township was $27,038. About 3.4% of families and 4.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and 4.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Manchester Township, Michigan
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Manchester township, Washtenaw County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 10, 2012.
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 178
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Manchester township, Washtenaw County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 10, 2012.