|— Municipality —|
|Region||MIMAROPA (Region IV-B)|
|• Mayor||Lemuel F. Cipriano (Lakas–CMD)|
|• Vice Mayor||Felipe F. Ferriol (Lakas–CMD)|
|• Total||19.82 km2 (7.65 sq mi)|
|• Density||220/km2 ( 580/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
Concepcion is a sixth class municipality in the province of Romblon, Philippines. It is located on Maestro de Campo Island (also known as Sibale to its inhabitants) which is the westernmost island of the province and only 20 kilometres (12 mi) off the coast from Mindoro. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 4,445 people.
The island is mountainous with steep shores. Its settlements are dispersed along the coast with the poblacion on the south shore. The island's interior is jagged and forested, with caves, clear rivers, unique rock formations, and hills that offer breathtaking views. Every village has its own cove and wholesome white sand beaches ideal for swimming and scuba diving.
- San Pedro (Agbatang)
- San Vicente
Concepcion started as a small village founded in 1570 by the Spanish colonization forces led by Martin de Goiti and Juan de Salcedo, upon orders from then Spanish Governor-General of the Philippines, Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. The village was named after the Immaculate Concepcion. Throughout the Spanish era, the village was administered as part of Banton municipality on nearby Banton Island.
In 2 July 1907, during the American colonization of the Philippines, Concepcion was elevated to municipal status but was incorporated as part of Mindoro province after Romblon was abolished and incorporated as part of Capiz province. However, on 10 March 1917, Romblon was reinstated as a separate province, and thus, Concepcion was incorporated back to the province.
In 8 June 1940, the special municipality of Maghali was established upon passage of Commonwealth Act No. 581 (authored by Congressman Leonardo Festin). This demoted Concepcion and Corcuera from their municipality status and incorporated into the new municipality with its capital in Banton. In 26 May 1946, the special municipality was abolished through the passage of Republic Act No. 38 (authored by Congressman Modesto Formelleza), and by 1 January 1947, Concepcion regained its municipal status which it still holds today.
|Population census of Concepcion|
|Source: National Statistics Office |
The following are the elected officials of Concepcion for the term 2010-2013:
- Mayor: Lemuel F. Cipriano (Lakas Kampi CMD)
- Vice-Mayor: Felipe F. Ferriol (Lakas Kampi CMD)
- Jasmin F. Familaran (Lakas Kampi CMD)
- Monico F. Firmalan Jr. (NP)
- Rainer F. Feudo (Lakas Kampi CMD)
- Diosdado F. Atillano (Lakas Kampi CMD)
- Jessie F. Abainza (NP)
- Neil M. Falculan (NP)
- Joseph S. Fetesio (Lakas Kampi CMD)
- Vidal F. Ferrancullo (NP)
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Province: Romblon". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- Maestro de Campo History Maestro de Campo Dive Resort. Retrieved on 2012-04-14
- "Population and Annual Growth Rates for The Philippines and Its Regions, Provinces, and Highly Urbanized Cities". 2010 Census and Housing Population. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- Sibale Online Community
|Gloria, Oriental Mindoro / Sibuyan Sea||Sibuyan Sea / Banton|
|Sibuyan Sea||Sibuyan Sea / Corcuera|