List of airports in Greenland
Greenland (Greenlandic: Kalaallit Nunaat, Danish: Grønland) is an autonomous country within the Kingdom of Denmark, located between the Arctic and Atlantic Oceans, east of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. Though physiographically a part of the continent of North America, Greenland has been politically associated with Europe (specifically Norway and Denmark).
Since January 2009, Greenland has been divided into four municipalities: Kujalleq, Qaasuitsup, Qeqqata, and Sermersooq. The large Northeast Greenland National Park is not part of any municipality (unincorporated). The Thule Air Base (Pituffik), located as an enclave within Qaasuitsup municipality, is also an unincorporated area and does not belong to any municipality.
Previously, Greenland consisted of three counties (amt): Kitaa/Vestgrønland (West Greenland), Tunu/Østgrønland (East Greenland) and Avannaa/Nordgrønland (North Greenland). Kitaa had 15 municipalities; Tunu had two municipalities and Avannaa had one municipality.
Many locations in Greenland have Danish names in addition to their Greenlandic names. The Danish name, where applicable, is shown in italics. ICAO location identifiers link to pages from AIP Greenland. Airport or heliport names shown in bold indicate the facility has scheduled passenger service on a commercial airline.
Several of the airports have originally been built by and for the US defense. They are often not located near the local major settlement, so a helicopter transfer is often needed by most passengers to some airports. Airports with very small population reachable by road include Kangerlussuaq Airport, Kulusuk Airport, Narsarsuaq Airport, Nerlerit Inaat Airport and Qaarsut Airport.
- Air Greenland destinations
- Transport in Greenland
- Statens Luftfartsvæsen (Civil Aviation Administration for Denmark, Greenland, Faroe Islands)
- List of airports by ICAO code: B#BG - Greenland
- Wikipedia: Airline destination lists: North America#Greenland (Denmark)
- "AIP Greenland". Civil Aviation Administration - Denmark (Statens Luftfartsvæsen).
- "Departures and Arrivals". Air Greenland.
- "ICAO Location Indicators by State" (PDF). International Civil Aviation Organization. 17 September 2010.
- "IATA Airline and Airport Code Search". International Air Transport Association.
- "UN Location Codes: Greenland". UN/LOCODE 2012-1. UNECE. 14 September 2012. – includes IATA codes
- "Airports in Greenland". Great Circle Mapper. – IATA and ICAO codes
- "Airports in Greenland". World Aero Data. – ICAO codes
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language