List of Genesis of Aquarion characters
Youngsters with special powers are gathered from around the world and trained by DEAVA, in order to pilot the Vector Machines.
- Apollo (アポロ Aporo )
- Voiced by: Takuma Terashima (Japanese), Christopher Bevins (English)
- The male protagonist of Genesis of Aquarion, Apollo is an orphan who grows up amongst a group of homeless children. His name is given to him by his best friend Baron, as a reference to the legendary Greek god Apollo. Apollo possesses a kind heart and noble spirit behind his rude, aggressive and bestial behavior, with extremely sharp reflexes and senses akin to a wild animal. His characteristics cause few DEAVA members to believe the rumor he is the reincarnation of the "Solar Wing" Apollonius (アポロニアス Aporoniasu ).
- Apollo gradually learns and acquires new talents, as well as showing his amazing ability to pilot Aquarion. Following the collapse of the Tree of Life, Apollo bravely chooses to sacrifice himself, along with Sirius and Toma to restore the world. However, he promises Silvia that he will return in 12,000 years (although it is never explained precisely why this particular time is chosen, it could possibly be some reference to the next reincarnation cycle). His main power as an Element is his fighting strength, able to shatter the head of a Cherubim Soldier with a single punch while piloting Aquarion.
- Later it is revealed in Aquarion Evol that Apollo's soul originated from Apollonius's pet, the Winged Hound Pollon, which also explains his animalistic behavior. Pollon also loved Celiane, but as she was already in love with Apollonius, it made a wish to the heavens begging to reincarnate in the future as a human to finally stay by her side where he is able to be loved by Celiane's reincarnations every 12,000 years.
- Silvia de Alisia (シルヴィア・ド・アリシア Shiruvia do Arishia )
- Voiced by: Yumi Kakazu (Japanese), Brina Palencia (English)
- The female protagonist, she is a noble from the Alisia family and the reincarnation of Apollonius' human lover Celiane. Silvia possesses great physical strength and admiration for her older brother Sirius, who she believes he is the real reincarnation of the "Solar Wing". She constantly argues with Apollo, not only because she thinks he is an impostor, but because of his rude habits and untamed nature. Her main power as an Element is her psychokinesis, and later is revealed to be a descendant of Apolloius and Celiane, thus being a Shadow Angel/Human hybrid possessing some of the powers of a Shadow Angel.
- For much of the series, Silvia hangs off her brother and attempts to sabotage his relationships. As the story progresses, it is revealed she carries the "light" half of Celiane's reincarnated soul (the part that remembered what happened in her previous life). It is this part of Celiane that Silvia feels affectionate for Apollo. She bids farewell to him as he decides to save the world through self-sacrifice, promising to look after his homeless friends and await his return 12,000 years later.
- Sirius de Alisia (シリウス・ド・アリシア Shiriusu do Arishia )
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita (Japanese), Eric Vale (English)
- Silvia's older brother, he is passionate on the concepts of aesthetics and perfection. A skilled swordsman, many DEAVA members, including Sirius, believed he was the true reincarnation of the "Solar Wing", thus Sirius despises Apollo when he enters the organization. Despite his love for his sister, Sirius is often annoyed due to her unrelenting adoration of him, as she jealously tries to sabotage his potential relationships with other females in DEAVA.
- As it becomes more obvious Apollo is Apollonius reincarnated, Sirius' jealousy and hate consumes his mind, eventually provoking him to take drastic measures. He attempts to stop Silvia from helping Apollo, and subsequently finds out he is also the reincarnation of Celiane -- but the "dark" side of her soul (the part that forgot what happened in his previous life). To that end, he allies with the Shadow Angels, but when the Tree of Life withers and dies, Sirius redeems himself, along with Toma and Apollo, by providing his life to restore the world. His main power as an Element is an unnamed ability to "scan" areas such as rooms, and later is revealed to be a descendant of Apolloius and Celiane, thus being a Shadow Angel/Human hybrid just like his sister.
- Pierre Vieira (ピエール・ヴィエラ Piēru Viera )
- Voiced by: Masaya Onosaka (Japanese), Travis Willingham (English)
- A star soccer player, Pierre is a hyperactive Element User, with more than the double of serotonin levels than any other User. His hometown is San Jose. Always trying to flirt with DEAVA's female residents, Pierre hides the pain of a lost love from the past, whom he abandons in order to join the fight against the Shadow Angels. His main power is a "Fire Kick" attack that is a perfect combination of his passion for soccer and his burning spirit. Despite his teasing and flirtatiousness, Pierre is among the most clear-sighted Element Users, able to see attractions and fears in more conflicted individuals, such as Silvia and Apollo. Pierre was the first to become addicted to merging and his mind almost shut down on him causing him near death. He over came this when he realized that he needed to grow to save the ones he loved when the Shadow Angels attacked San Jose on the day his brother was getting married to his girlfriend Esperanza who also happens to be Pierre's childhood friend. Pierre is like a role model to Jun and teaches him about merging.
- Hong Lihua (紅 麗花 Kō Reika , pinyin: Hóng Líhuā)
- Voiced by: Sanae Kobayashi (Japanese), Colleen Clinkenbeard (English)
- A sensitive girl who believes she carries a strange ability of causing misfortune to those around her, Lihua forces herself to avoid people approaching her, with the exception of Sirius, who nurtures strong feelings for her and spends many occasions attempting to connect with her. ihua eventually manages to overcome her rotten luck (and her fear of it) and turn it into a weapon when piloting the Aquarion. Her main power as an Element is mind telekinesis. She is the reincarnation of Scorpius in the OVA.
- Rena Rune (リーナ・ルーン Rīna Rūn )
- Voiced by: Hiromi Satou (Japanese), Carrie Savage (English)
- A pale, young girl who is wheelchair-bound, Rena is blind and has the hair color and sensitivity to light of an albino. She can see people's auras and read the "Book of Holy Genesis", scriptures containing the history of the conflict that occurred between the Shadow Angels and humans 12,000 years ago. The other Element Users at DEAVA are intimidated by her stoic, mysterious presence, with the exception of Apollo. While she does not specifically state this, Rena is perhaps a vampire, who admits she needs blood for nourishment when the moon is full and her will weak, alongside the trademark fangs of a vampire. Her main power/s as an Element allows her to levitate, teleport and (regrettably) drain prana from people.
- Tsugumi Rosenmeier (つぐみ・ローゼンマイヤー Tsugumi Rōzenmaiyā )
- Voiced by: Tsugumi Higasayama (Japanese), Laura Bailey (English)
- A shy girl with a sad past, Tsugumi's main power as an Element is the ability to explode things from a distance when her heart rate reaches its maximum. Always estranged from friends and family because of her power, Tsugumi still does not have full control, sometimes creating accidental explosions. This scenario changes when Tsugumi joins with DEAVA and finds an admiration in Lihua, who encourages her throughout her time in the organization. In fact, Tsugumi expresses affection more for Lihua than any other individual Element User.
- Jun Lee (ジュン・リー Jun Rī )
- Voiced by: Daisuke Sakaguchi (Japanese), Todd Haberkorn (English)
- The resident otaku, Jun's main power as an Element is his "Mind Eye Photography" technique, which can enable him to see through solid objects and quickly target the weak points of enemies. He excels in handling computers and machines and although he rarely enters into battle, Jun spends most of the time operating the computers in DEAVA's control room. Jun was the first person Tsugumi met before getting in to DEAVA. She nearly ran him over but they soon became friends. Both him and Tsugumi can be a little naive but they mean well. Jun is very intelligent and can think fast on the battle field. Rena joked with him during a training exercise saying "You look nervous. Is this the first time you have held a girls hand?" Which he studiers at and replies "N-n-no. Of course not." And nervously takes her hand. It is also shown that he likes to cosplay. It is revealed at the end of episode 15, "Aquarion's first love", that he became addicted to merging just like Pierre but was not further explored.
- Glen Anderson (グレン・アンダーソン Guren Andāson )
- Voiced by: Yuto Kazama (Japanese), Mike McFarland (English)
- A close friend of Sirius and Lihua, the three were the first Element Users to perform a successful Unification in battle, but this partnership ends abruptly when an accident during the battle puts Glen in a coma. Sirius and Lihua visit him regularly, until they find out he was moved to the medical center at the New United Nations. Later, they discover he is being used to pilot the New United Nations' Military Vectors as a way to fight the Shadow Angels if the Aquarion is out-of-action.
- It is reveled that at the New United Nations medical center, he was selected for an operation to graft shadow angel feathers into Elements to give them great strength to combat the Shadow Angels, which gave him a cyborg-like personality. This operation was seen in bad taste by both Humans and Shadow Angels. It is uncertain of what his main power as an Element is, but in the second-to-last episode in the series it is suggested that it is a close-ranged, more controllable version of Tsugumi's power.
- Kurt Klick (クルト・クーリック Kuruto Kūrikku )
- Voiced by: Romi Park (Japanese), Justin Cook (English)
- Chloe Klick (クロエ・クーリック Kuroe Kūrikku )
- Voiced by: Romi Park (Japanese), Caitlin Glass (English)
- Fraternal twins who's main power as Elements is the ability to communicate telepathically with each other, they very rarely partake in combat, instead controlling and monitoring the computers in DEAVA's control room. Chloe is apparently very earnest about things and does not talk to people much, while Kurt is fairly enough the same. They appear to be the most duty-bound Elements in DEAVA. Chloe has feelings for Pierre.
DEAVA (Division of EArth Vitalization Advancement) is the organization that created the Aquarion mecha.
- Gen Fudou (不動GEN Fudō GEN )
- Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka (Japanese), Brandon Potter (English)
- Gen Fudou conducted an expedition that retrieved the Vector Machines, but disappeared mysteriously so afterwards. When the Elements' battle against the Shadow Angels began, he returns to assume his position as DEAVA's supreme commander. Very knowledgeable of the nature of humans, he uses this wisdom to guide the Element Users in order to help them surpass their own limitations and increase their teamwork. Later it is revealed in Aquarion Evol that he is actually the real reincarnation of Apollonius and watches over Earth with only one love of the original Celiane.
- Sophia Belin (ソフィア・ブラン Sofia Beran )
- Voiced by: Sakiko Tamagawa (Japanese), Stephanie Young (English)
- DEAVA's top scientist and researcher, she is very kind and less up-tight on the happenings around the organization. Sophia acts as the teacher in the Element User's mental training classes.
- Jean-Jerome Jorge (ジャン・ジェローム・ジョルジュ Jan Jerōmu Joruju )
- Voiced by: Nobuo Tobita (Japanese), Jason Liebrecht (English)
- DEAVA's second-in-command, Jean-Jerome is arrogant, pessimistic, quick to judge and somewhat pretentious - the opposite of Commander Fudou. Jerome tends to not agree with or understand his actions, but is more than willing to see the Shadow Angels destroyed and humanity prospering in their defeat.
Minor Human Characters
- Baron (バロン)
- Voiced by: Susumu Chiba (Japanese), Z. Charles Bolton (English)
- Apollo's best friend, Baron charges Apollo with the task of taking care of the other orphans. He originally meets Apollo when he offers the boy some food during a cold, winter day. From then on, the two become inseparable, resorting to thievery in order to acquire food for themselves and the other children with them. Baron gives Apollo his name after noticing him walking out of a frozen lake he was swimming in, the sun basking behind his back and his footprints steaming behind him, as a reflection of the ancient god Apollo. After being captured by the Shadow Angels, saving him and the other orphans is Apollo's sole reason to fight with the Aquarion.
However, during the first season finale, he is brought by Toma in a cage with a bomb attached, in order to force Apollo to open the barrier protecting Aquarion. He does so, and despite getting Baron out of the cage, the latter dies when the bomb detonates and destroys the shield, sending Apollo into a rage. His last words were telling Apollo to look after the little ones, a message that Apollo would frequently remember for the rest of the series.
- Holy Angel Toma (聖天翅・頭翅（トーマ） Shōtenshi Tōma )
- Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa (Japanese), J. Michael Tatum (English)
- The main antagonist and Apollonius' onetime partner, after Apollonius fell in love with Celiane and defeated the Shadow Angels. Knowing Apollonius will be reincarnated in 12,000 years, Toma places himself in suspended animation and is awoken 12,000 years later. Even after so long, Toma could never forgive him for betraying their kind, but lingering feelings for his beloved Apollonius still resides in his heart. Toma plans to use the Aquarion's power to repair the Tree of Life, but in order to make it possible, he needs to make the Aquarion manifest its true power of the "Solar Wings", thus prepares the various ordeals and trials for DEAVA's Element Users, specifically Apollo, in order to make them stronger. Toma's wings are located at his temple.
- Upon the destruction of the Tree of Life, Toma joins Apollo and Sirius to prevent the planet's collapse with the Aquarion, sacrificing himself in the process. Later in Aquarion Evol, it is revealed that Toma was happy to die reunited in soul with the man he once loved, until he discovers that Apollo was not the reincarnation of Apollonius, but Pollon instead. His hatred gives birth to Mikage Towano, who returns 12.000 years later seeking revenge.
- Music Angel Otoha (音楽翅・音翅（オトハ） Ongakushi Otoha )
- Voiced by: Mako Hyoudou (Japanese), Monica Rial (English)
- Toma's faithful servant, she loves him deeply and despises Apollonius and Celiane, not only because they destroyed Atlandia 12,000 years ago, but also because their love broke Toma's heart. She was killed in the final episode by Lihua, Pierre, and Rena.
- Elder Angel Johannes (老賢翅・夜翅（ヨハネス） Rōkenshi Yohanesu )
- Voiced by: Shin Aomori (Japanese), Vic Mignogna (English)
- The eldest and leader of the Shadow Angels, Johannes' face is never revealed. His body is draped in robes and chains and wears a metal mask. While he appears to be missing the bottom half of his body, Johannes constantly suspends himself from the ceiling in the main altar of Atlandia.
- In the localized version of Genesis of Aquarion, Randy Tallman was originally cast as Johannes but due to his untimely death, Vic Mignogna was brought in to play the character.
- Warrior Angel Moroha (戦翅・両翅（モロハ） Senshi Moroha )
- Voiced by: Kazuki Yao (Japanese), Barry Yandell (English)
- A Shadow Angel warrior "who knows no equal", Moroha is the only Shadow Angel who enjoys fighting. He prides himself as being the strongest warrior alive and enjoys toying with his opponents, gauging their strength. He doubts Toma's ability to kill the Solar Wing, occasionally criticizing him for it. Unlike the other Shadow Angels, Moroha resembles an insect; he has six eyes (some covered by a bandage-like scarf), horns and insect-like wings on his back that don't seem to have feathers. He was killed in the second-to-last episode by Glen Anderson.
- Architypal Angel Lensi (原型翅・錬翅（レンシ） Genkeishi Renshi )
- Voiced by: Unshō Ishizuka (Japanese), R Bruce Elliott (English)
- The architect of the Shadow Angels, he designs and creates the countless number of Cherubim Soldiers DEAVA does battle with. It is said Lensi possesses the fingers of God.
- Information Angel Shilha (情報翅・智翅（シルハ） Jōhōshi Shiruha )
- Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (Japanese), Antimere Robinson (Eps. 12, 14), Paul Slavens (Eps. 17, 19) (English)
- Resembles a lion with a large, human-like head, blue hair and wings on its back. He acts as Futaba's caretaker.
- Child Angel Futaba (小天翅・双翅（フタバ） Kotenshi Futaba )
- Voiced by: Tomoko Kawakami (Japanese), Luci Christian (English)
- The only child angel who survived Atlantis' destruction 12,000 years before. His wings are located at his ankles. Like a boy playing joyfully with ants, he often plays with the "Wingless ones" lives. Often, he had no hesitation in finding ways to have fun even at the cost of them. However, his childish manners eventually cost him dearly. He is captured by the humans and taken for scientific testing, and in the process he is killed. His death is the last straw for Toma, who promptly seeks out revenge against humanity. After Futaba's death, his wings are taken and fused with Glen Anderson; his remaining wings are used to power the autonomous systems used in the Military Vectors.
There are also two more Shadow Angels in the party which make their number, ironically like the number of the Elements, nine. One that resembles a lion like Shilha except its hair is red, and a larger lion/ape creature dressed like (and that might be) a warrior. (Once there was even a winged creature that could have been a Shadow Angel pet, it looked a bit like a cross between a fox and a dog. It's revealed in the second season that this creature is named pollon and was apollonius' pet)
- The official website's character correlation chart indicates Tsugumi has a higher rating with Lihua than any other character. Even though her and Lihua share a very close bond there is times when it is thought that she could have a small crush on Jun as he is one of her first friends and appears in a short dream. When Aquarion goes to fight the shadow angels at Atlandia, she is the one that opens the barrier in the portal to their home turf through her love and friendship.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language