List of Crayon Shin-chan characters
||This list needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)|
This is the list of Crayon Shin-chan's characters.
The characters' names follow this order: English, Japanese Script, and Roman characters. The names used in the dubs follow as they appear in that version, if applicable.
- Shinnosuke Nohara (野原 しんのすけ Nohara Shinnosuke)
- Voiced by: Akiko Yajima
- He is the main character, a kindergarten-aged boy whose antics are the basis for the series. He is born on 27 april 1990 .His affectionate name by relatives is Shin-chan and by friends is Shinno. He is 5 years old and loves chocolate biscuits, especially "Chocobi" and a TV superhero named "Action Kamen", but he absolutely hates green peppers.He is a very good singer and pretty good baseball and football player. Sometimes he changes the words of a song and makes it very funny.However he also often exhibits deep affection for his friend Kazama. Some of his strange activities include dressing up (often as an animal). He also makes trouble for others and then criticizes their efforts in covering for him. In general, he is brutally honest, highly curious, and has no shame whatsoever, which includes getting rid of his clothes at the earliest opportunity. There have been several instances in which his antics actually solved the problems of those around him. He also displays a surprising amount of talent at singing songs and changing their wordings. On rare occasions, he displays bouts of selfless kindness (for example, in one anime episode he saved a frog from a truck on a rainy day, getting all wet and dirty in the process and risking Misae's ire since it was his last set of clean clothes. In another episode, he gives Masao the change he has even though he knows that his mother will scold him later), but these are often immediately followed by antics that negate the goodwill others feel. There are also times when Shin Chan displays a level of maturity beyond his usual self in his concern for others, and in a few rare instances he shows that deep down he really does care for his family, despite his constant disrespect towards them.
- Misae Nohara (野原 みさえ Nohara Misae)
- Voiced by: Miki Narahashi
- The mother of the Nohara family from Kumamoto on the island of Kyūshū. She is 29 years old and a typical housewife of post-war Japan, she cleans, launders, cooks, sews, mothers, and lazes all to varying degrees of success. While at heart a caring and nurturing individual, her positive aspects are often offset by her many shortcomings. A paragon of hypocrisy, after handing out irrevocable edicts to her husband and children, she will not hesitate to immediately break them once they are out of sight. She administers brutal physical and verbal punishment to her relatives, having little patience for their antics. Her famous and symbolic moves includes "drilling" others' head with her fists (known as "guri-guri") and a series of punches on the head, creating comically large lumps (the punches are mainly thrown by Misae, but other characters have been known to use it as well, such as Hiroshi and even Ne Ne). While she spends as little as possible on the less-essential needs of her husband and son, she loves to splurge on Himawari and herself, though she is noted to have instances of great generosity. She always changes her hair styles as seen it is sometimes curly and sometimes long and shattered hair. Most of her luxury purchases, however, often end up broken, misused or otherwise ruined by her children, sometimes even before she had a chance to try them. She is the source of boundless diet and savings plans, all of which fail within the first week or even first day. She is prone to immediately partake in bargain sales when she sees them, thinking she is saving the family money. She then buys extreme quantities, regardless of the practicality, which defeats the purpose. Additionally she secretly hoards money for her own personal use. She is also known to be a terrible driver. Misae also constantly checks Shin-chan's and Hiroshi's behavior around young women and punishes them accordingly (and always seems to be in the right place at the right time when it comes to the latter). She was born in Aso, Kumamoto.
- Hiroshi Nohara (野原 ひろし Nohara Hiroshi)
- Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara
- Father of the Nohara family from Akita in Northern Japan, and its sole source of income. He met Misae at the age of 29 and after getting her pregnant with Shin, the two wed. He is a loving father to his two children, and ultimately a devoted husband. While he is the family bread-winner, he hands the reins of finance over to his wife, who maintains a totalitarian level of control on family spending. At age 35, he is a stereotypical Japanese salaryman, working eight-hour days, enduring overstuffed trains, enjoying the occasional nightlife, and giving every bit of his take home pay to his wife every month. While his relationship with his family is positive on the whole, there is an abundance of recurring conflict. He and his wife bicker on many different things, from how little he gets for spending money every month, to whose turn it is to give the baby a bath. Misae is also notorious for inflicting violence on Hiroshi whenever she gets very angry (usually when his gaze wanders to younger women). He often dreams about being a playboy while he sleeps as an escape, though this is usually interrupted by some external stimulation. He enjoys a playful relationship with his children; but sometimes they're the source of his daily woes. He loves a cold beer after work and shares Shin-chan's appreciation of TV shows with young women in skimpy clothing, often getting too excited about it for Misae's liking. He will not hesitate to save his allowance for things he wants, but can be seen spending much of it to buy his family creature comforts. A running joke is made of the pungent odor of his feet and his socks are often used as weapons by other members of the family. He was born in Omagari, Akita (a village in Daisen, Akita).
- Himawari Nohara (野原 ひまわり Nohara Himawari)
- Voiced by: Satomi Kōrogi
- The youngest child of the Nohara family, born in 1996. A precocious and vibrant infant. While technically newborn, her character has matured and grown more intelligent during her stay in the series. She possess a palpable lust for shiny objects (jewels and precious metals) and brand-name goods, being able to discern a real jewel from a simple piece of imitation (and throwing away the latter). She emulates her mother in her utterly stubborn pursuit of handsome young men who catch her eye, not unlike her brother, who soon discovered that a way to pacify her was to put on a cutout mask of a known handsome actor. In her family, she is an icon of adoration and annoyance, causing trouble she cannot be blamed for given her infantile innocence. She can be extremely fast crawling, tiring out even Shin-chan, and often uses Shiro as a toy. Her name, which is Japanese for "sunflower", was chosen by the show's viewership and not the creator. After becoming big her friends are Nike Chan ( Nene's sister ), Nisu Chan ( Bo's sister ) and some more children . Other children's name is not shown as they do not have a brother or sister.
- Shiro (シロ Shiro)
- Voiced by: Mari Mashiba
- A white, fluffy pup Shin-chan found in a cardboard box early in the series. While a beloved member of the family, he is the subject of neglect thanks to his owner's forgetfulness and short attention-span. He is a very intelligent dog, often presenting logic and intellect that surpasses his human owners. As his meals from the Noharas are at best inconsistent, he has developed a talent for foraging, though other times he has to eat Misae's failed culinary experiments. An oddly human-like dog, he is very responsible and painstakingly careful. He takes care of his owners diligently, though often they do not realize his help or understand what he is trying to show them. His doghouse also often ends up becoming a place for Shin-chan to hide himself or something he doesn't want his family to find. He often plays protector to Himawari, more often than not sacrificing his well being in the process.After some years he gives shiro to some other uncle forever.
- Yoshiji Koyama (小山 よし治 Koyama Yoshiji )
- Voice: Kenichi Sakaguchi→Tomoaki Ikeda
- Misae's father. Age 63. He has made appearances in several of Shin-chan's episodes. As a retired teacher, he has much higher standards of public decorum than Hiroshi's father Ginnosuke. This uptight behavior of his sometimes becomes the subject of jokes. Although he is quite stubborn (a trait that passed to his daughters) and conservative, he is actually a caring person. He is also quite childish in some occasions and argue with his wife about very minor things, this often results in him and Ginnosuke "flee" to the Noharas, causing troubles to Misae.
- Hisae Koyama (小山 ひさえ Koyama Hisae )
- Voice: Noriko Uemura
- Misae's mother. Age 58. Her appearances in Shin-chan's episodes are usually with her husband. Like her husband, she looks down on the way Hiroshi's father behaves, but she gets along well with Ginnosuke's wife Tsuru. She always talks about commiting suicide.
- Semashi Koyama (小山 まさえ Koyama Semashi )
- Voice: Tomoko Miyadera
- Misae's older brother. Age 35. He is married. His appearance in the show is rare. It is possible that Misae learned some of her moves from him. He shares some of the same mischievous antics as Shin-chan and Ginnosuke.
- Ginnosuke Nohara (野原 銀の介 Nohara Ginnosuke )
- Voice: Ginzō Matsuo→Chō (Ep. 429 and on)
- Hiroshi's father. Age 65. Like his son and his grandson, Shin-chan, he enjoys looking at and flirting with pretty young women. He also likes to do weird things with his grandson and taught him many of his habits. His appearance in the show is relatively common. He is affectionately called Gin-chan. When he visits the Noharas, he always stays for much longer than Misae would like, leading to friction between the two. He greets the family in various strange (and often embarrassing to Hiroshi and Misae) ways whenever they visit Akita, such as dressing as various movie characters. Another running gag in the series is that he suddenly appears in Kasukabe out of nowhere.
- Tsuru Nohara (野原 つる Nohara Tsuru )
- Voice: Chie Kitagawa
- Hiroshi's mother. Age 62. Although she seems to be more mature than her husband, she actually exhibits many strange behaviours especially in front of Shin-chan and Himawari.
In the Japanese anime, the school is called Futaba Kindergarten (ふたば幼稚園 Futaba Yōchien , named after the comics publisher, Futabasha).
- Ai Suotome (酢乙女 あい Suotome Ai)
- Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
- Ai-chan is one of the show's newer characters. She began appearing on October 12, 1999. She is from an proper middle class family and happened to be enrolled in to the kindergarten at Kasukabe after she threw a dart at a map of Japan and hit Kasukabe to determine where she would go next. She is always seen riding in a black limousine and with a bodyguard. She is very manipulative and purposely bends people to her will just because she can. For example, she made many boys at Futaba Kindergarten fall in love with her. However, when she tried to do the same to Shin-chan, she failed. Because of that, she fell in love with Shin-chan and being the manipulator she is, uses his weaknesses (Action Mask, Chocobi, etc.) to get him to notice her. Masao likes her very much, but Ai almost never pays attention to him. When she does pay attention to him, she makes him act as her pet. She is also a fierce rival of Nene. She is not a part of the Kasukabe Defense Organization (かすかべ防衛隊) . After kindergarten she permanently shifts to Hokkaido and is hence not shown in further episodes. She comes sometimes to meet them. In the latest episode it is shown that she has an younger brother Kawaguchi Suotome.
- Kasukabe Defense Organization (かすかべ防衛隊 Kasukabe Bōeitai )
- An "organization" that Shin-chan and his friends created as a group in the episode "Kasukabe Defense Organization" broadcast on May 1, 1995. The purpose of this group was to promote peace in the city of Kasukabe. However, this so-called organization is little more than just a name for Shin-chan's clique and often they hardly do anything meaningful during their operations, but they ironically cause many troubles when they do "defend". Their secret base is located at the buildings stairs.
- Tōru Kazama (風間 トオル Kazama Tōru)
- Voiced by: Mari Mashiba
- Tōru Kazama is Shin-chan's immaculately groomed and perfectly mannered friend, who usually loses his nerves and composure with Shin-chan's antics. Despite Kazama's annoyance with Shin-chan, they are actually quite closer than any of the other friends they have. A strong evidence is that when Kazama was extremely frustrated and lonely in several episodes, Shinchan was the only one who stayed with him. Of all Shin-chan's friends, he's the only one referred to by his family name (Kazama-kun). Only his mother uses his given name (Tōru-chan). He participates in extracurricular activities like English Conversation and always seems to know everything about any subject (even if it is not true), which makes him look somewhat snobbish. He plays football and baseball very well. He likes all manner of female animation and comic book characters, though he tries to hide that fact from his friends. He also has a strong attachment to his mother that hints at him having an Oedipus Complex. A recurring theme in the show is that he tries to hang out with upper class girls his age to be a part of the "elite", but runs across Shin-chan while he is in the midst of doing something strange and classless which ultimately causes the girl to lose interest in hanging out with him. He also has a big sister who is the fat girl in the three girls team. Mostly she comes to call Kazama from play.
- Nene Sakurada (桜田 ネネ Sakurada Nene)
- Voiced by: Tamao Hayashi
- Nene Sakurada (Nene-chan) is Shin-chan's female classmate and friend. She loves to play 'real omamagoto', or 'real house', in which divorces and arguments are very common and she typically forces/blackmails the boys to play with her. This is always a nuisance to Shin-chan, Bo-chan, and Kazama-kun and a nightmare to Masao as he often needs to be Nene's husband (unsuccessful salaryman) in the plot. She occasionally sees her mother go crazy or do something out of character and shrieks something literally translated to be "You're not my usual mom!". Nene styles herself as a sweet girl, but in fact she has inherited her mother's temper and is quite bossy. Like her mother, she hits a stuffed bunny to relieve her anger. Alternatively, Nene uses Masao as the lightning rod for her frustration when her bunny is not available. She considers Ai her rival. She has a sister named Nike Sakurada ( Niku Chan ). She has many pet cats whom she loves a lot.
- Masao Sato (佐藤 マサオ Satō Masao)
- Voiced by: Teiyū Ichiryūsai
- Masao Sato is the funniest and smallest member of Kazukabe Defence Organization. He is known to be a scaredy cat, and a bit of a cry baby. He is also a "clean freak" bordering on Obsessive Compulsive. Even though Masao is known to be spineless, there was once when he betrayed Shin-chan over a pack of candies with the others(Bo, Nene, and Kazama, though only they feel sorry). His nickname is "Onigiri" due to his shaven head's resemblance to a rice ball. His friends use it as a term of endearment, while the people that bully him use it as a put-down. His hobby is to write comics. His father actually owns a supermarket from which all his friends buy material. He is copied in the cartoon show Tsurupika Hagemaru as Hagemaru.
- Bo (ボー Bō)
- Voiced by: Chie Satō
- Another of Shin-chan's friends, he seems slow and expressionless, but is actually quite smart and has an interest in artistic, adult-oriented things. He loves to collect various kinds of stone and investigating urban legends and various mysterious objects such as UFO's. He often surprises his friends with his insight, though he speaks quite slowly. He always has a trail of mucus running down his nose and can perform various tricks with it. He has a sister named Nisu chan.
The Rose Class is a class handled by Ume Matzuzaka. A recurring theme in the show is that Rose class is always in competition with Sunflower Class in activities such as Baseball, Soccer, Trekking, etc. Another recurring joke about Rose Class is that whenever they have a competition, they would always reveal a member of the class with exceptional talent in that field. However, they are still beaten most of the time in competition with Sunflower Class.
- Yasuo Kawamura (河村 やすお Kawamura Yasuo , Cheetah Kawamura)
- Voice: Tomoko Ōtsuka (Japanese), Trina Nishimura (English)
- Yasuo is always wearing a leopard shirt and playing with his soccer ball. He has a fierce dislike of Shinnosuke and Kazama-kun and usually gets into shouting matches with the latter. He also loves to bully Masao. Even though he is confident in his athletic ability and acts as the Rose class' leader, he almost always loses to Sunflower Class by Shinnosuke's strange actions or because another student in Sunflower Class rises to the occasion. He has formed a clique with classmates Hitoshi and Terunobu.
- Hitoshi (ひとし Hitoshi )
- Voice: Fūko Shinomiya→Chisa Yokoyama→Nao Nagasawa
- This child is a kindergarten bully and always likes to bully Masao with Terunobu.
- Terunobu (てるのぶ Terunobu )
- Voice: Ayako Shiraishi→Yuri Shiratori→Fujiko Takimoto
- This child is a kindergarten bully and always likes to bully Masao with Hitoshi. His dialogue usually consists of him just repeating the last thing Hitoshi says when they are bullying someone.
Kindergarten staff and relatives
- Midori Ishizaka (née Yoshinaga) (石坂（よしなが） みどり Ishizaka (Yoshinaga) Midori , Miss Dori (phuuz))
- Voice: Yumi Takada→Haruhi Terada
- Shin-chan's teacher. Age 24. She is always in bitter rivalry with Ume Matsuzaka. However she unhesitatingly supports Matsuzaka in certain critical situations. "Yoshinaga" is her maiden name. Her last name changed to "Ishizaka" after getting married to Junichi Ishizaka on July 7, 2000. Before him, she didn't have much luck with her boyfriends, often commiserating with Matsuzaka about their lack of love life.
- Junichi Ishizaka (石坂 純一 Ishizaka Jun'ichi )
- Voice: Naoki Bandō
- Midori's husband. Age 24. A nice, easy going man who gets along fine with Shin Chan and his friends and they in turn, like him as well. He has been portrayed as someone with a lack of confidence problem. This is true when he wanted to propose to Midori.
- Ume Matsuzaka (松坂 梅 Matsuzaka Ume , Miss Ume (phuuz))
- Voice: Michie Tomizawa
- Arch-rival of Miss Yoshinaga, teacher of the Rose class. Age 24. Single. Likes to live stylishly in public but she actually struggles to save her money for luxuries and lives in a very cheap, dusty apartment. She dislikes her given name as she always says to Yoshinaga and others, "Don't call me Ume!". This is due to one of the meanings of "Ume", which can mean "3rd class" or "low class". Although she always says she is "tired of Futaba Kindergarten (especially Shin-chan)" and plans to move out to a better school, she never seriously intends to do it. Despite her rivalry with Midori, deep down she cares for her and helped her reconcile with her future husband. A running gag about her is that her dates are often screwed up by Shinchan in various ways, until she meets Tokurou.
- Matsu Matsuzaka (まつざか 松 Matsuzaka Matsu )
- Voice: Masako Katsuki
- Ume's eldest sister. Age 28. Like her sister, she is also seeking for a man to form a relationship and eventually marry. Often, when news comes of Ume going on a date or participating in a matchmaking ceremony, Matsu and her other sister, Take, would interfere to win that man's affections, leading to the three sisters fighting over him and eventually ends up with the man she is interested in escaping from the sisters. A similar situation transpired when Ume started dating Tokurou.
- Take Matsuzaka (まつざか 竹 Matsuzaka Take )
- Voice: Kei Hayami
- Ume's second eldest sister. Age 26. She often appears alongside her elder sister, Matsu, to fight over Ume's new boyfriend. In contrast to Matsu's traditional Japanese-style attire, Take is often prone to Western gaudiness.
- Tokurou Gyouda (行田 徳郎 Gyōda Tokurō )
- Voice: Kazuhiko Inoue
- Ume Matsuzaka's boyfriend. Worked as a chiropractor and archeologist. Age 26. He is very enthusiastic about any type of bones ranging from ordinary chicken bones to exotic dinosaur bones. He and Ume met when she broke her leg and was admitted at the hospital he worked. Almost a year later, he was killed by a terrorist bombing during an expedition in Africa.
- Masumi Ageo (上尾 ますみ Ageo Masumi )
- Voice: Kotono Mitsuishi
- Teacher who handles the Tulip class. Age 23. She first appeared on July 10, 1998 as a new teacher. She seems to be nervous of everything and experiences panic attacks when facing a large group of kids (which is an everyday scenario of a kindergarten teacher). However, when Shin-chan takes off her glasses, her vision becomes blurred and a personality change takes place; she becomes very aggressive and fearless as shown in her first appearance episode "The New Teacher Acts Weird" (新しい先生は変わってるゾ Atarashii Sensei wa Kawatteru zo ). Her condition is somewhat similar to Launch from the Dragon Ball series. She has a fixation with Kuroiso, but the motivation behind it changes between the manga and the anime from one of admiration to one of romance.
- Shiizou Atsukuru (熱繰 椎造 Atsukuru Shiizō )
- Voice: Kazunari Tanaka
- Newest Futaba Kindergarten staff member. Age 22. He first appeared in an episode aired on August 26, 2005. He can literally be on fire at his own discretion, which is his key personality trait in the show. His name is a reflection of this as it is wordplay on the expression "atsukurushii zo!" (暑苦しいぞ！), which means "It's sweltering!". He is a teacher in training for the Sunflower Class. At first, many of the students were taken aback and annoyed at his passionate way of teaching things but they grew to love him in the end.
- Bunta Takakura (高倉 文太 Takakura Bunta , Principal Enzo (phuuz), Gang Leader Sir (Hungama))
- Voice: Rokurō Naya
- The principal of Futaba Kindergarten, he's often referred to as "Enchō" (園長), which means "Kindergarten/Nursery School Principal." His Yakuza-like appearance is often misunderstood by the people in the neighborhood and even within the students of the kindergarten in some occasions, which often acts as a recurring joke in the series (often worsened by Shin-chan by calling him "Kumichō" (組長 Godfather )). Actually he has a tender heart and good attitude. He masqueraded as a superhero called Enchoman but Shin-chan easily found out his true identity. He is shown to like women's wrestling in one episode. His name is based on actors Bunta Sugawara and Ken Takakura, both famous for their Yakuza roles in movies. In one episode, he mentions that his father is Peruvian and his mother was a Gypsy, which explains his dark complexion and strange accent.
- Mrs. Takakura (高倉夫人 Takakura-fujin )
- Voice: Roko Takizawa
- She is Takakura's wife and the Futaba Kindergarten Vice Principal. Her character inexplicably disappeared after the first full-length movie, Action Mask vs. Leotard Devil (アクション仮面ｖｓハイグレ魔王)
Kindergarten children's guardians
- Moeko Sakurada (桜田 もえ子 Sakurada Moeko ) "Patty"
- Voice: Shōko Saitō→Junko Hagimori (Ep. 98 and on)
- Nene-chan and Nike Chan's mother. Age 28. She is easily irritated by Shin-chan, whom she despises, and Misae because she always seems to rub her the wrong way whenever they meet. She has a very strange way of expressing her anger; she beats up a very large stuffed rabbit when in private. Her psychologically-questionable behavior is sometimes seen by others (including her daughter Nene-chan), and those who see her have sweat drops on their head (including the abused stuffed rabbit) and are very intimidated by it (except, of course, for Shin-chan). When she's not angry, she looks like a normal person. Her abusive actions towards stuffed rabbits was passed down from her mother, which she passed down to Nene-chan.
- Enzoshumo Sakurada (ネネちゃんのパパ Nene-chan no Papa )
- Voice: Shinya Ōtaki
- Nene and Nike Chan's father. He is considered to have a cool personality. He likes to go to cherry blossom festivals and often invites the Nohara family, much to his wife's chagrin. He recently appeared in two episodes.
- Mineko Kazama (風間 みね子 Kazama Mineko )
- Voice: Sakiko Tamagawa
- Kazama-kun's mother. She has the appearance of a rich man's wife. She has her son Kazama-kun do many extracurricular activities such as football , cricket , tuitions etc. She also likes to try to make younger men swoon by her looks and fashion. Unlike Nene's mother, Kazama-kun's mother is not unruffled by Shin-chan easily, and prefers to stay out of his way when they happen to meet.
- Kazama's Father (風間くんのパパ Kazama-kun no Papa )
- Voice: Junichi Kanemaru
- He is a very good architect and is commonly known as “ ARCHITECT " Apparently richer than most of Shin-chan's friends' parents, he has traveled abroad several times, and is rarely at home because of it. He has a very easy going attitude and gets along fine with everyone including the Nohara family.
- Masao's Mother (マサオくんのママ Masao-kun no Mama )
- Voice: Tomoko Ōtsuka
- She is a little plump. Her face looks almost identical to that of Masao-kun.
- Bo's Mother (ボーちゃんのママ Bō-chan no Mama )
- She has appeared only once in the comic books and never on TV. Shin-chan, Kazama-kun, Nene-chan, and Masao-kun have tried to imagine what she looked like.
- Kuroiso/Hideki (黒磯 Kuroiso )
- Voice: Fumihiko Tachiki
- Ai-chan's bodyguard and driver. He always wears a black business suit and sunglasses, akin to Secret Service agents. He is very obedient to Ai-chan's orders because she blackmails him with disclosing the misdeeds he has done when he thought no one was watching (such as accidentally breaking one of her parent's priceless pieces of art and using super-glue to repair it) such as one time when Ai-chan ordered him to find leafs that has fallen during autumn (which result in him being hospitalized when he slipped while catching a beautiful leaf hanging on top of a tree branch). He has dated Miss Ageo, a Futaba kindergarten teacher. He hides while Ai-chan is in class (for example, in the top of the playfield's trees), but Shin-chan always finds his hiding place. They have also stopped coming in further episodes.
Nanako's family and friends
- Nanako Oohara (大原 ななこ Ōhara Nanako )
- Voice: Sayuri (Japanese), Stephanie Young (English)
- The college girl with whom Shin-chan is in love. The first time they met was when Shin-chan was strolling in the neighborhood and got something in his eye. Nanako took it out for him. Since then, they have kept in contact. Nanako is the only girl that is unruffled by Shin-chan's behavior, and the only one Shin-chan tries to behave for, even being shy and blushing around her. She dreams of being a kindergarten teacher. She first appeared on January 29, 1996.
- Shijuurou Oohara (大原 四十郎 Ōhara Shijūrō )
- Voice: Mugihito
- Nanako's father. He is a famous author of many popular books. He is overprotective of his daughter and worries too much about her. He is often seen to disrupt any important matters at hand whenever he has the most extremely subtle (false) hint that Nanako may be in trouble. He disapproves of Shin-chan's love for his daughter though they both band together in keeping an eye on her.
- Shinobu Kandadori (神田鳥 忍 Kandadori Shinobu )
- Voice: Mizuki Ōtsuka
- Nanako's college friend. She hopes to become a professional wrestler. She is Kazama - kun's sister .Her name is based on real-life wrestler Shinobu Kandori.
Saitama Crimson Scorpions
A gang of high school girls who run into Shin-chan often, with dire consequences. Supposedly their gang rivals other girl gangs. Shin-chan firmly believes them to be an aspiring group of comedians.
- "Flytrap" Ryuko (ふかづめ 竜子 Fukazume Ryūko )
- Voice: Kazue Ikura
- Leader of the clique. Age 17 . Her title in the Malay translation is "Dragon Claw Ryuko" or "Short-nailed Ryuko". She is a tough fighter and behaves righteously towards her friends. Her violent and brash behaviour undermines her gentle and kind side, and despite being the leader of a female gang, shows a surprising amount of genial traits. Has a secret hobby of dressing up as a Sailor Moon character. She also has a huge crush on Shin-chan's father Hiroshi, despite knowing that Hiroshi is married to Misae. Fukazume is actually her nickname of sorts meaning "Rough 'n Ready" (according to the Hawaiian versions of the TV series). Her real name is Ryuko Okegawa (桶川 竜子 Okegawa Ryūko ).She is Nanako's best friend.
- "Fish-eyed" Ogin (魚の目 お銀 Uo-no-me Ogin )
- Voice: Midori Nakazawa→Chizuko Hoshino
- Member of the clique who always wears a mask with an "X" on it, thus earning her nickname "Fish-eyed Ogin" (the X resembles the eye of a dead fish). She is taciturn. She is also a good friend of Nanako .Despite her somewhat fearsome demeanor, she possesses a kind side, shown in an episode where she helps out her sick mother. Her face was revealed when Himawari playfully took off her mask.
- Fukidemo no Shinobu (Shinobu Kandadori ふきでものマリー)
- Voice: Akiko Muta
- Another member of the clique, who is fat and clumsy.she is Kazama's sister . She is a good friend of Nanako. Her title in the Malay translation of the manga is "Pimple-Mary." She often helps her friends despite her inability to fight.
Family friends and acquaintances
- It was a company headquarter called Futaba Corporation (ふたば会社 Futaba Kaisha ), located in Kasumigaseki, Tokyo (In the movie from Adventure in Hendrland, It located in Nihonbashi, Chuo, Tokyo). They sell very good computers.
- Kawaguchi (川口 Kawaguchi )
- Voice: Daiki Nakamura
- Hiroshi is his good friend, so Kawaguchi always looks up to him almost to the point of him thinking that Hiroshi can do no wrong. They often go out to lunch together. His surname is Kawaguchi, Saitama and first name is unknown.
- Hiroshi's boss (ひろしの上司 Hiroshi no joshi )
- Hiroshi's boss and manager, his name is unknown.
Misae's and Hiroshi's friends
- Keiko Honda (本田 ケイコ Honda Keiko )
- Voice: Minami Takayama
- She's been Misae's good friend since middle school. Age 29. Her nickname is "Okei", so Shin-chan calls her "Okei-obasan" (Aunt Okei) She marries Satoshi, who is 7 years younger.
- Satoshi Honda (本田 悟史 Honda Satoshi )
- Voice: Shiina Nagano→Takuma Suzuki
- Keiko's husband. Age 21. He loves anime and owns many Action Kamen movies and action figures.
- Hitoshi Honda (本田 ひとし Honda Hitoshi )
- Voice: Yuri Amano, Wasabi Mizuta (stand-in)
- Keiko and Satoshi's baby son. Age 3 months. His nickname is "Hito-kun." He is always smiling. In the manga version, he has grown a little and goes to swimming school. He appears to be younger than Himawari, but was born before her.
- Fumie Mogamigawa (最上川ふみえ Morigamigawa Fumie )
- Fumie is Keiko's niece. She resembles Mimiko (from Action Kamen). She babysits Shin and Hitoshi on occasion.
- Yoshiko (よしこ Yoshiko )
- Voice: Yūko Mizutani
- Misae's old friend who is a manga artist.
- Senora Kitamoto (北本 Kitamoto Senora )
- Voice: Reiko Suzuki
- Nohara family's neighbor. She loves to gossip so she is frequently seen to be chatting with Misae. She also took in Shiro while the Nohara's had to move to the apartment. Her surname is after to Kitamoto, Saitama
- Robert McGuire (ロベルト・マクガイヤー Roberuto Makugaiyā )
- Voice: Yukitoshi Hori
- Senora's son. He lives mainly in USA , who sometimes stays at Senora's house. Shin-chan calls him "Beruto-kun." At first, he couldn't speak any Japanese at all so he would misunderstand everything and was naive to Japanese culture so he took everything Shin-chan would tell him about it at face value. He once had a crush on Nanako. He teaches English at an eikaiwa school. Even though he is half-Japanese, he carries the facial features the show almost always shows foreigners having - blonde haired, blue eyed, and a pointy nose.
- Yoshirin Hatogaya (鳩ヶ谷 ヨシりん Hatogaya Yoshirin )
- Voice: Daisuke Sakaguchi
- The Nohara family's other neighbor, affectionately known as Yocchi. Yocchi and his wife Micchī meet Shin-chan's family for the first time on a trip to Hawaii. After the trip, they moved next door to Shin-chan's family. They display their affection towards one another as well as always having a very effervescent attitude, which contrasts with earlier Japanese generations. He and his wife are always wearing matching clothes and they are easily excited by new things. The pair were originally a one shot appearance with the same name and mannerisms, but with a completely different and mature look. Their re-introduction as semi-regular characters on the show saw a revamp in their appearance.
- Micchi Hatogaya (鳩ヶ谷 ミッチー Hatogaya Micchī )
- Voice: Fumie Kusae→Makiko Ōmoto
- Yoshirin's wife. She likes to watch horror movies (to her husband's chagrin) and collects stuffed dinosaurs. Whenever she and Yocchi have a fight (often over the silliest things), they both end going to the Nohara's for advice and often reconcile while the Nohara's fight (often due to Yocchi and Micchi's argument) by deciding they don't want to become like Hiroshi and Misae.
Their surnames are after Hatogaya, Saitama.
The Nohara family once moved into apartments called Matazuresou (またずれ荘 Matazuresō ). They were forced to move out when the house was being reconstructed after a gas explosion that destroyed the house completely. The name literally translates to "It looks like it will fall apart again." A real apartment complex in Kobe was named Matazuresou since the owner was a big fan of this comic. The English dub uses the play-on-words "Falling Apartments".
- Nushiyo Ooya (大家 主代 Ōya Nushiyo )
- Voice: Kōko Kagawa
- She is the landowner. She has very strict rules such as being very quiet in the corridors and not allowing pets. She spends her free time piling her collection of dentures into a tower. Her cold attitude toward children can be attributed to the fact that her husband and her 3-year-old daughter died in a traffic accident 30 years ago.
- Yonro (四郎 Yonrō )
- Voice: Toshiharu Sakurai
- He lives next door from Shin-chan's family at room 201. He attended Tokyo Kasukabe University, not Tokyo University as Misae had mistakenly believed. Misae and Hiroshi frequently invited him over to fancy dinners at their house being very supportive of him so that one day when Yonro goes into a successful political career, he would thank them with lots of money and gifts. When Misae and Hiroshi found out that he wasn't attending Tokyo University, they practically abandoned him. He has visited Shin-chan's family when they moved back into their old house. He works at a supermarket as a part-time job. His wall and the Nohara family's wall in the apartment have a huge big hole. The English dub pits Yanro as a stereotypical nerd obsessed with sci-fi and hentai. Shin-chan refers to him as "dropout" due to a running gag in the English dub that he cannot pass the entrance exams for any of the Kasukabe community colleges.
- Atsuko Kutsuzoko (屈底 厚子 Kutsuzoko Atsuko )"Summer"
- Voice: Hiromi Ishikawa
- She is an 18-year-old mother. Her actions and style reflect the Japanese younger generation. In the English dub Summer is an American who moved to Japan trying to find the father of her daughter, whom she only knew from a one night stand. She is depicted as being an airhead with a "Valley Girl" accent.
- Atsumi Kutsuzoko (屈底 アツミ Kutsuzoko Atsumi )"Paris"
- Voice: Saori Sugimoto
- Atsuko's 2-year-old daughter. She usually dresses in the same fashions as her mother and is prone to nose picking. Paris is not a baby in the English dub, but a 7-year-old dwarf.
- Atsushi Kutsuzoko (屈底 アツシ Kutsuzoko Atsushi )
- Atsuko's husband. He is a truck driver (He doesn't appear in the anime).
- Kyuji Oda (汚田 急痔 Oda Kyūji )
- Voice: Jun Fukuyama
- An undercover police officer who works with Kyousuke on a narcotics control case. He rents room 204, although he does not actually live there. He and Kyousuke have gone to Shin-chan's kindergarten to teach the children street smarts (He and Kyousuke rent room 205 instead in the manga). He and his partner pose as father and son so as not to draw suspicion.
- Kyousuke Nigariya (にがりや 京助 Nigariya Kyōsuke )
- Voice: Takkō Ishimori
- An undercover police officer who works with Kyuji.
- Yuu Yakutsukuri (役津栗 優 Yakutsukuri Yū )
- Voice: Makiko Ōmoto
- The resident of 203 who wants to be an actress. Constantly wears bizarre costumes in order to practice for auditions.
TV stars and fictional characters
Action Mask TV series
- Action Mask (アクション仮面 Akushon Kamen , Masked Muchacho (phuuz))
- Voice: Tesshō Genda
- Shin-chan's favorite live action superhero who comes from the "Action Planet" (アクション星). Action Mask is a spoof of Japan's tokusatsu shows (most notably, the Kamen Rider Series' shows). In the European Spanish version he is called Ultrahéroe (Ultrahero) as there he is considered a knock-off of the Ultraman series. Action Mask finishes his enemies off in the same fashion as Ultraman with a beam attack known as the "Action Beam". In The Netherlands he is called Gemaskerde Muchacho. He is called Action Kamen in the Hindi version. His episodes are shown as a show within a show.
- Gotarō Gō (郷 剛太郎 Gō Gotarō )
- Action Mask's alter ego. When not engaged in saving the world, he is a movie stuntman.
- Mimiko Sakura (桜 ミミ子 Sakura Mimiko )
- Voice: Etsuko Kozakura
- Action Mask's young sidekick. She provides Action Mask with weapons and information, though she more often than not gets herself captured in the process.
- Professor Gō (郷博士 Gō Hakase )
- Voice: Rokurō Naya
- The inventor of Action Mask's weapons and vehicles to fight evil. When not inventing, he spends much of his time in the bathroom due to constipation. in the manga, His name is Kitakasukabe (北春日部 Kitakasukabe)
- MekeMeke Z (メケメケZ MekeMeke Z )
- Voice: Takeshi Aono
- Action Mask's archenemy and leader of the Black MekeMeke Group (ブラックメケメケ団). He's an advanced intelligent robot with his own equivalent of Action Mask's techniques. He also has two weaker versions of himself called MekeMeke X and MekeMeke Y.
- Eagle Head (イーグルヘッド Iguru Heddo )
- Voice: Jūrōta Kosugi
- The leader of the Sparrow Group (スズメ団) whom Action Mask encounters during the "Action Mask Fever" story arc. His outfit and name are likely based on the anime Gatchaman and its protagonist Ken the Eagle.
Kantam Robo Anime Series
- Kantam Robo (カンタムロボ Kantamu Robo )
- Voice: Shinya Ōtaki
- Shin-chan's favorite anime character. Kantam Robo parodies the mecha anime genre. The name "Kantam" is a spoof on the Gundam name, as the Katakana characters ga (ガ) and da (ダ) in "Gundam" (ガンダム Gandamu ) are replaced with the characters ka (カ) and ta (タ), respectively and his look appears to have been inspired by such early mecha anime such as Tetsujin 28-go and Mazinger Z. Kantam is actually made up of two units - one is the main robot and the other is an identical smaller robot which pilots the main robot. Additionally, the main robot can transform into two forms. His main attack is the "Kantam Punch". Like Action Mask, his adventures are shown within a Shin-chan episode.
- John Yamada (山田ジョン Yamada Jyon )
- Voice: Yoshiko Matsuo
- Kantam's human partner. He helps the smaller Kantam pilot the main robot. He is also necessary for Kantam to change form.
- President Gilkilos (ギルキロス大統領 Girukirosu Daitōryō )
- Voice: Takeshi Watabe→Takeshi Aono
- The main antagonist of the anime and the leader of the Midnight Secret Society (秘密結社ミッドナイト).
- Kaizam Robo (カイザムロボ Kaizamu Robo )
- Voice: Kōji Ishii
- Kantam's older brother and rival working for President Gilkilos and Midnight.
SHIN-MEN is Crayon Shin-chan's take on the five person tokusatsu programs like the Super Sentai Series with five members that all look like Shin-Chan fighting the evil TON-MEN (who all look like Buriburizaemon) in an alternate reality signified by a markedly different style of animation.
- Fire SHIN-MEN Gou (ファイヤーSHIN-MEN ゴゥ Faiyaa SHIN-MEN Gou )
- Voice: Keiko Toda
- This character's personality is closest to the "real world" Shin-Chan. He thinks crime fighting is boring and is lazy in general, but when a young lady is involved he will fight with all of his heart as well as do mundane tasks with speed and efficiency in order to impress her. As his name implies, he commands the element of fire.
- Wind SHIN-MEN Hyuu (ウィンドSHIN-MEN ヒュー Uindo SHIN-MEN Hyuu )
- Voice: Takahiro Mizushima
- Probably the most heroic of the SHIN-MEN and de facto leader of the group. He's a stand-up, no nonsense boy who commands the power of wind. This allows him free flight.
- Iron SHIN-MEN Can (アイアンSHIN-MEN カン Aian SHIN-MEN Kan )
- Voice: Mitsuki Saiga
- Another heroic SHIN-MEN whose iron body can configure itself into different vehicles. She chooses toughness over finesse and therefore usually rushes into a situation without thinking. She is a girl, wearing Iron dress, has Two twin sisters lookalike, She is embrassing and in love with Wind Hyuu.
- Water SHIN-MEN Sui (ウォーターSHIN-MEN スィ Uootaa SHIN-MEN Sui )
- Voice: Yukiji
- This member is a bit of a joker and has an eye for the ladies like Gou, but doesn't use them as an ulterior motive for fighting. He can use and control water as a weapon as long as he is hydrated. When he doesn't get enough water, he shrinks down.
- Plant SHIN-MEN Nyoki (プラントSHIN-MEN ニョキ)
- Voice: Hiroyuki Yoshino
- This member can use and spawn plants in battle, but like Sui, his powers are dependent upon water. A lack of water causes him to shrivel up and become ineffectual.
- Piroshi (ピロシ Piroshi )
- Voice: Keiji Fujiwara
- This reality's iteration of Hiroshi except that he's a single man and owner of a ramen shop. He takes care of Gou, however, because he is too lazy to take care of himself.
- Buriburizaemon (ぶりぶりざえもん Buriburizaemon )
- Voice: Kaneto Shiozawa
- A talking "heroic" but actually quite cowardly, lazy, treacherous, and funny pig that appears in some of the episodes and chapters about ancient Japan. The character is a product of Shin-chan's imagination, but carries on as though he is a popular character. His appearances are limited, due to the fact that his voice actor, Kaneto Shiozawa, died in 2000, and the character has not had a speaking part until 2010 when the character appears in the alternate reality "SHIN-MEN" episodes as a group of 5 evil clones called "TON-MEN".
- Magical Girl Moe-P (ま・ほー少女もえP Mahō Shōjo Moe Pī )
- Voice: Sakura Nogawa
- A moe-driven magical girl parody. Kazama-kun has a secret obsession with the character.
- Shinobu Sakai (酒井 しのぶ Sakai Shinobu )
- Voice: Miki Itō→Kumiko Nishihara
- A college student who has held many part-time jobs to put herself through college, only to lose them often due to Shin-chan's antics. She absolutely despises him, but due to her frequent jobs involving customer service, she has to put up with him. She finally takes up a job in the lost child department of the Action Departmental Store.
- Kenta Musashino (武蔵野 剣太 Musashino Kenta )
- Voice: Kenji Nojima
- Shin-chan's Kendo Master. Age 34. He first appeared in the April 26, 2003 episode "I'm a Kendo Master!" (オラは剣の達人だゾ Ora wa Ken no Tatsujin da zo, ) to teach Shin-chan the ways of Kendo. Has a habit of always stepping into dog feces whenever he walks away.
- Razaya Dan (団 羅座也 Dan Razaya )
- Voice: Chafurin
- A newscaster whose show Misae often watches. His name comes from Dan Rather.
- Usuto Yoshii (よしい うすと Yoshii Usuto )
- Voice: Takaya Hashi
- A famous manga artist who lives in the same neighborhood as Shin-chan. He often gets ideas from Shin-chan. Masao-kun is a huge fan of his. His name comes from series creator Yoshito Usui.
- Yoshito Usui (臼井儀人 Usui Yoshito )
- The creator of the Crayon Shin-Chan manga who sometimes makes cameo appearances in the movies and the TV shows. In the feature length movies, his character is young looking, effervescent, and dresses up in gaudy suits while singing karaoke. He is either seen practicing for a karaoke event or is asking directions to get to a karaoke event. His cameos always lead to him being punched in the face by Hiroshi or Misae.
- Shinko-chan (しんこちゃん Shinko-chan )
- Voice: Ayumi Sena
- A strange girl from the future with the same facial features as Shin-chan. She has a slightly creepy demeanor, but is the opposite of Shin-chan in many ways as she is tactful, empathetic, and sees the good qualities in the people she meets. Himawari treats Shinko as her best friend, possibly due to the fact that she is Hima's future friend (around the time when Hima is 5). She is supposedly rich, having servants and owning time machine to go back to time when Shin was 5. Her coming is always heralded by dark clouds in the shape of coiled feces.
This is the list of Crayon Shin-chan's characters as they are presented in the Adult Swim dub produced by FUNimation.
- He is the main character, a kindergarten-aged boy whose antics are the basis for the series. The website describes Shin as "Sort of a Calvin and Hobbes with a greater fascination for bathroom humor and puns." Voiced by Laura Bailey.
- The mother of the Nohara family, and its caretaker. She commonly beats Shin-chan for calling her flat chested, fat or cheap. Mitzi is also notorious for inflicting comically brutal violence on Hiro whenever she gets very angry. She is stashing her money to get breast implants, a running joke not found in the Japanese version. Voiced by Cynthia Cranz.
- Father of the Nohara family, and its sole source of income. He and his wife bicker on many different things, from how little he gets for spending money every month, to whose turn it is to give the baby a bath. Voiced by Chuck Huber.
- The youngest child of the Nohara family. A precocious and vibrant infant. While technically newborn, her character has matured and grown more intelligent during her stay in the series. She possess a palpable lust for shiny objects (jewels and precious metals) and brand-name goods. She emulates her mother in her utterly stubborn pursuit of handsome young men who catch her eye. In her family she is an icon of adoration and annoyance, causing trouble she cannot be blamed for given her infantile innocence.. It was revealed that she was birthed due to a broken condom that Hiro tried to fix with tape but to no avail. Voiced by Colleen Clinkenbeard.
- A white, fluffy puppy owned by the Noharas. While a beloved member of the family, he is the subject of neglect thanks to his owner's forgetfulness and short attention-span. He is a very intelligent dog, often presenting logic and intellect that surpasses his human owners. As his meals from the Noharas are at best inconsistent, and at worst far-between, he has developed a venerable talent for foraging and scavenging to survive days without meals. An oddly human like dog, he is very responsible and painstakingly careful. An added feature to the FUNimation version is that we occasionally hear Whitey's thoughts through a British voice over. This is not present in the Japanese version, where he only can speak through special means, such as machines that allow him to talk, or in dream sequences. His British voice is played by Chris Cason.
- Yoshiji Koyama
- Mitzi's father. Age 63. He has made appearances in several of Shin-chan's episodes. He is seen to have much higher standards of public decorum than Hiroshi's father Ginnosuke. This uptight behavior of his sometimes becomes the subject of jokes for Shin-chan and a clash of style between him and Ginnosuke. In one episode, however, he found out that both Shin-chan and Ginnosuke liked him. Voiced by John Swasey.
- Hisae Koyama
- Mitzi's mother. Age 58. Her appearances in Shin-chan's episodes are usually with her husband. In the FUNimation dub, she has constant thoughts about wanting to commit suicide. Later in the series, Mitzi says that she has been sent to a mental facility. Voiced by Wendy Powell.
- Bitzi Koyama
- She is the younger sister of Mitzi. Age 26. Arrives in the third season. An aspiring photographer that ran into trouble with a revolution in a foreign country where children were used as soldiers and the leader gets her hooked on a drug called "Brown-Brown" a mixture of cocaine and gunpowder. When she arrives at the Nohara household she is a recovering addict that has a couple of relapses. She later starts a sexual relationship with Gin, only stopping after intervention by Mitzi. Eventually she seems to rehabilitate, meeting a famous lesbian photographer who takes takes a fancy to her. Originally stating that she is not gay when the famous photographer tells her of the attraction, Bitzi eventually persuades her to take her to New York as her assistant, only to arrive back in Kaskube a few weeks later after in her words "Lezzing Out". currently in the FUNimation adaptation the reason for the sudden return is unknown.
- Ginnosuke Nohara
- Hiroshi's father. Age 65. Like his son and his grandson, Shin-chan, he enjoys looking at pretty young women. He also likes to do weird things and rituals with his grandson. His appearance in the show is relatively more common than other minor characters. As with Shin, he is affectionately called Gin. It is noted that he "roamed" the countryside on a motorcycle when he was younger. He later started a sexual relationship with Bitzi, but stopped after intervention from Mitzi. Voiced by Sonny Strait.
Georgie Herbert Walker Prescott III
- Shin's ultra-conservative Japanese American friend. He is also a Republican, making him the writers' outlet for political humor. In Season 3, the recession wipes out his wealth, leaving him upset and unable to enjoy the luxuries he used to have. He is obsessed with the character "Yaz" from the fictional TV show "Happy Heiresses" (satirizing Paris Hilton) much to his mother's chagrin. Voiced by Brina Palencia.
- Penny Milfer
- Shin's female classmate and friend. She loves to play house in which divorces and arguments are very common. She has the same character as her mother and she is often seen releasing her frustrations on a helpless stuffed bunny. Penny lives in an abusive household, leading her to write disturbing plays about what goes on between her parents. She tries to shy away from her troubled life at home through games where she fantasizes herself to be a queen or to be happily married to one of the boys, but they are always interrupted and ruined by Ai, whom she cannot stand. In Season 3, she develops a hatred of the Flamer, who believes gingers like her should be wiped out. Voiced by Carrie Savage
- Maso Sato
- Maso Sato is one of Shin-chan's friends. He is known to be a scaredy cat, and a bit of a cry baby. He is portrayed as having mildly effeminate/homosexual tendencies. Maso is usually the butt of the show's homosexual jokes since he often makes innocent comments that ironically sound homosexual in a different context. Maso is in love with Ai and gets furious whenever Shin rebuffs Ai's advances. The Funimation website says that Maso is like "Linus without his blanket." Voiced by Colleen Clinkenbeard
- Another of Shin-chan's friends, he seems slow and expressionless. He always has a trail of snot running down his nose (He never wipes it away because he thinks that it's "the source of his power"). He is portrayed as a stupid kid who often says nonsensical things like a sufferer from Tourette Syndrome. For example, when Penny asked why would someone would call Shin's ramshackle apartment "Falling Apartments", Boo responded by saying "I'd call it Boo eats soda and likes lamps." He likes to collect pet rocks, his favorite one being one he calls "Phillip." The FUNimation website says that Boo is "sort of like Dim from Clockwork Orange, or Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh,- without the depression." Voiced by Chris Cason.
- Ai Suotome
- Ai is from an extremely rich family and happened to be enrolled in to the kindergarten at Kasukabe. She is always seen riding in a black limousine and with her bodyguard, Mr. K. Many boys fell in love with her except Shin-chan. Instead, she fell in love with Shin-chan. Maso likes her very much, but Ai almost never pays attention to him, but makes him act as her pet when she does. Her wealthy status has been magnified to absurd standards for comedy. She also goes out of her way to make Penny miserable by ruining her games where she tries to "marry" one of the boys. For example, when Penny tried to fall in love with Maso, Ai pretended to love him for as short while just so he would ignore Penny. Voiced by Monica Rial.
- The college girl with whom Shin-chan is in love. Age 20. Nanako is the only girl that is unruffled by Shin-chan's behavior, and the only one Shin-chan tries to behave for, even being shy and blushing around her. This belies his true thoughts towards Nanako, which are more perverted, imagining scenes where he wants to touch her breasts. She is later revealed to sleep with rich men for money. Voiced by Stephanie Young.
Shin's friends' family/guardians
- Patty Milfer
- Penny's mother. Age 28. She is easily irritated by Shin, taking her anger out on a stuffed rabbit known as Happiness Bunny, a trait which she has picked up from her mother, which in turn was picked up by Penny. Another factor towards her fustrations is the constant off-screen physical (And sometimes sexual) abuse from her husband. In one episode, she tries to escape her misery by fleeing the country and abandoning Penny, but her attempt is foiled by Shin.
As of the end of season 2, Mr. Milfer went through anger management and ended his abusive cycle. Since then, Patty has been found to actually crave the physical abuse and constantly looks for it through her daughter's friends and their families.
- Bill Milfer
- Penny's unseen father was an abusive husband. Near the end of season two's run, he went through anger management which put an end to his abusiveness.
- Caitlin Milfer
- She is an offscreen character and is sister of Penny, who was thrown into the lake by Penny's abusive dad. Along with Penny's other aborted siblings, she was born from Bill abusing Patty. Throughout the episodes, she was mentioned by Penny and Patty that Caitlin constantly appears in nightmares and as a "strange voice". In one of the episode of season 3, Penny's family was going to give Yaz Heiress's costume as a present to Caitlin in the lake, until Shin snatched it from them.
- Barbara Walker
- Georgie's mother. She is just as much of a big Republican as her son, and is sometimes implied to be racist. She also appears to be friends with Mitzi.
- Georgie's maid. She is an offscreen character who only exists in the American version. She does housework and also attends to Georgie. According to Georgie, she sometimes steals his stuff as well. In Season 3, the recession wipes out Georgie's wealth, and Consuela doesn't work for them anymore.
- Maso's Mother
- Maso's mother has not been of much significance in the dub, only making three minor appearances.
- Mr. K
- Ai's bodyguard and driver. He always wears a black tuxedo suit and sunglasses. He is very obedient to Ai's orders. Most of time its because she had found out his dark deeds (such as accidentally breaking one of her parent's priceless pieces of art and using super-glue to reattach it). He hides while Ai is in class in the playground's trees. Voiced by Christopher Sabat.
- The Nohara family's neighbor. She loves to talk and gossip so she is frequently seen to be chatting with Mitzi. She also took in Whitey while the Noharas had to move to the apartment. She almost constantly mentions she has fibromyalgia.
- Robert is an albino French character with a sharp French accent sent to Yuka through a website to keep her company.
- The Nohara family's other neighbor. He and his wife are always wearing matching clothes. They are in constant debt due to their constant spending and need to have all the new things, and have adopted habits to run out on bills and look for sleazy, cheap buildings to live in. Yoshirin collected hentai at one point, much to his wife's dismay. Voiced by Eric Vale.
- Yoshirin's wife. Voiced by Luci Christian.
Super Happy Fun Time American School
In the Japanese anime, the school is called Futaba Kindergarten (ふたば幼稚園 Futaba Yōchien , named after the comics publisher, Futabasha). In the English-language FUNimation anime, it is renamed to Super Happy Fun Time American School. FUNimation head writer Jared Hedges states that the Americanization of the school was done to use the characters as an outlet for American humor and references while keeping the show location in Japan.
- Miss Anderson
- Shin-chan's teacher. Age 24. She is always in bitter rivalry with Miss Katz, who doubted the existence of her boyfriend Doyle, and the two occasionally trade insults over their respective chest sizes. Voiced by Caitlin Glass.
Miss Anderson's boyfriend. Age 24. In the Funimation dub, he is portrayed as a closet telepath and popcorn salesman. In season 3, he was stuck in the jail for popping an army colonel in his man-sized popcorn machine (which Ms. Anderson says as an accident). He struggles with embarrassingly large amounts of night flatulence, and the fact that his telepathy has weakened after mistakenly sticking his finger into an electrical socket.
- Rachel Katz (Rebecca Katz)
- Arch-rival of Miss Anderson teacher of the Rose class. Was briefly a cat-themed super villainess and foil to Ench-man. Apparently, she was addicted to gambling, which made her go into a huge amount of debt. She tried to solve this problem by using mutant kids to compete with Shin's class in various activities so that she'll earn money, but Shin and his friend always managed to beat them, causing her to go through even more debt. Age 24. Single. Voiced by Clarine Harp.
- Miss Polly
- A teacher at the Futaba Kindergarten. Age 23. She is a kinky nymphomaniac who has had secret off-screen sexual relations with Principal Ench, Miss Katz, Miss Anderson, and Mr. K. In Season 3, she is a recovering nymphomaniac who goes to a support group to stop her sexual habits. It is also revealed that she first had sexual relations with Super Happy Fun Time American School staff when the school staff were forced to live in the school during the summer in Kasukabe and they all shared a cot. She has a raging temper and dominatrix personality that is only kept in check by the large, square glasses she wears. Voiced by Jamie Marchi
- Principal Bernoulli Ench
- The principal of Super Happy Fun Time American School. As one of the biggest changes to the FUNimation version, he was given a new backstory not present in the Japanese version. Ench was born in Cuba of both Peruvian and Gypsy decent. He originally managed a cockfighting operation with chickens, but later took up an interest in entertaining children as a magician. This ended in tragedy, as during one performance he accidentally killed/castrasted scores of audience members. Also, somewhere along the line, he accidentally killed some pandas in his kill-trick (which Ench likes to put it as kill-illusion), causing pandas to develop hatreds toward him. He then became principal of the school, and to make amends for the trouble he caused during his magic years he became the superhero "Ench-man", operating a ridiculously over-elaborate base under the school and later taking on Shin as his side kick. He gave up being a hero when Shin told everyone at school his secret, causing a number of student and faculty to try and become his sidekicks too. In season 3, it was revealed that his Ench-cave was leaking harmful chemicals, which apparently flowed into Kasukabe's drinking water, causing mutants to be created and stopping people's growth (which Funimation used as a explanation why their ages haven't changed despite the fact that the show ran for at least 2 years). Voiced by Jason Liebrecht.
- The Flamer
- The newest member of the Super Happy Fun Time American School. He is the coach of recess and is a mutant who can light himself on fire at will. He firmly believes in natural selection, and thinks gingers should be wiped out. Voiced by Todd Haberkorn
Falling Apartments residents
There was a time when the Nohara family moved into apartments complex. They were forced to move out when the house was being reconstructed after a gas explosion that destroyed the house completely and left nothing but dirt in its lot.
- She is the landowner of the whole building of apartments and so all rent payments went to her. She has very strict rules such as being very quiet in the corridors and not allowing pets. She spends her free time piling her collection of dentures into a tower. She is also referred to as "the Manlady" a pun on her homely appearance and position of power as Landlady.
- He lives next door from Shin-chan's family at room 201. He is a sci-fi and RPG nerd, making numerous pop-culture references. He has made numerous attempts to get into Kasukabe Tech, but keeps failing the entrance exam, which others believed to be so easy that all it required was writing your namee. It's alluded to that he is a chronic masturbator. Voiced by Christopher Sabat.
- She is an 19-year-old American mother of a 7-year-old daughter. Voiced by Tiffany Grant.
- She is the 7 year old daughter of Summer with dwarfism and refers to things that are bad or she doesn't like as "ghetto" (example: "Starving is ghetto!"). Voiced by Leah Clark.
- Barnie Ota
- An undercover police officer who works with Ken Nakatomi on a stakeout. He rents room 204 at Falling Apartments while performing a stakeout on someone across the street. He and Nakatomi pose as a homosexual couple as their cover story. In the third season, it is revealed that this cover story has turned from a cover story into an actual relationship.
- Ken Nakatomi
- Barnie's partner; he comes up with the homosexual cover story on the spot when confronted by Shin, much to his partner's initial dismay.
- She is the resident of room 203 who wants to become an actress. In her first appearance in, she confused the Nohara family by portraying herself as an abusive man and an attractive woman before they found out her true identity. Voiced by Jennifer Green.
TV stars and fictional characters
Action Bastard characters
- Action Bastard
- Shin's favorite live action superhero. Action Bastard is a spoof of Japan's tokusatsu shows (most notably, the Kamen Rider Series' shows). There are many sexual innuendoes, such as villains named "Doctor Enema" or "The Corn-Holer".
Action Bastard often tries to sell products on his show to his viewers, such as his numerous food items like Crunchy Bastard Chips, and will attempt to scare the viewers into buying it. For example, he may tell the kids watching that it's their fault if the world ends tomorrow, or telling them they'll die if they don't buy them. His secret identity is Bruce Bastard, and for a brief while had a special Slot Belt which gave him a powered-up mode known as "Lucky Bastard Fever." Voiced by Troy Baker.
- Loli Pop
- Action Bastard's young sidekick in combatting enemies. She is seen to deliver crucial weapons to Action Bastard or give him instructions for new moves. In episode 41, Loli gains new powers that parody Sailor Moon and the magical girl genre, renaming herself Jailbait Poon. Her name is a pun on the word lolicon. Voiced by Kate Oxley.
- Loli Pop's lover who appears in the Lucky Bastard Fever serial. He was brainwashed by Doctor Hitlerclone into becoming the evil Flying Pecker. Voiced by Michael Sinterniklaas.
- Doctor Hitlerclone
- The antagonist of the Lucky Bastard Fever serial. His name comes from the fact that he resembles Adolf Hitler.
- Yaz Heiress
- A moe-driven magical girl parody. She is supposedly rich from her dead father's inheritance, spreading the message "Money makes life happy!" to girls everywhere. Georgie has a secret obsession with the character. Voiced by Cherami Leigh.
- Vampire Will
- He was a vampire who exclusively made appearance in the episode "True Twillight Diaries". Similar to most stereotypical vampire, he is afraid of garlic, silver, and sunlights. He can also transform into half-bat half-human, which he can use to fly away. He went to snowboarding trip with Nanako (who wasn't aware of his real identity) so that he can dig his finger into her "cookie dough". He was also responsible for Rex's "mysterious" death, who used to be Nanako's ex-boyfriend and a famous snow-boarder. By having Rex's blood inside him, he tried to seduce Nanako by snowboarding, but his attempt were all foiled, ultimately by Shin. Ironically, though, he is actually Nanako's dad in the original show, and was probably made into a vampire just to reference Twillight movie.
- Mr. Peebles
- Mr. Peebles was an unseen birthday clown, deceased and buried in the desert by the Nohara Family. He was hired by Shin's family for Hima's birthday while they were living in Falling Apartments, where he overdosed by injecting heroin and died, despite Shin's family trying to save him. Fearing that they'll be the ones held responsible, Shin's family buried him and tried their best to cover any tracks that Mr. Peebles was there. Despite this, a number of the Nohara's family members and Shin's school friends showed up thinking Hima's birthday was that day, and all commented on how the house smelled of heroin, clown makeup, and ham stew. He was 7 feet and 3 inches tall and supposedly had a yellow afro and a smiley face birthmark on his face. He was also mentioned in 1 episode in season 3, where Shin mentions that a closet smells like him, dead.
- Happiness Bunny
A stuffed rabbit, owned by Penny and her mother, who was told that "life is nothing but pain" when he was created in a sweatshop by a Chinese boy. It soon believed this to be true when Penny and her mother started using it as a punching bag to vent out their anger. There were three occurrences where it somehow came to life at the light of a red moon, during which it exacts revenge on Penny and her mother for all the pain and abuse they cause him. Voiced by Jerry Jewell.
- Kenta Musashino
- Shin's Kendo Master. Age 34. He has a habit of always stepping into dog feces whenever he walks away. He's a paranoid schizophrenic whom suffers for strange, misogynistic delusions, and believes in his own ridiculous prophecy that Shin is "Dildor", a fabled hero who is destined to destroy "Sluteris, the Bug Queen". Voiced by Travis Willingham.