St Peter's Church, Lenton
Lenton shown within Lincolnshire
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||Lenton, Keisby and Osgodby|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||NG33 4|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
|UK Parliament||Grantham and Stamford|
Lenton is a hamlet in the district of South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, England. It is situated approximately 9.5 miles (15.3 km) south-east from Grantham, and is part of the Lenton, Keisby and Osgodby civil parish.
The village is sometimes known as Lavington, and the name may have come from the Old English Lâfa, and the characteristic suffix -ton. The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book as "Lavintone".
The ecclesiastical parish is part of the North Beltisloe Group of parishes in the Deanery of Beltisloe in the Diocese of Lincoln. From 2006 to 2011 the incumbent was The Revd Richard Ireson, who was succeeded by The Revd Mike Doyle in 2012.
Lavington Lake is a local fishing facility.
- MILLS, A. D. (2003). A Dictionary of British Place-Names.
- "Domesday Maps Online". contains a facsimili of the Domesday Book entry
- "National Monument Record for the church".
- "Web site of St Peter's Church".
- "St. Peter's Church, Lenton", Northbeltisloeparishes.co.uk. Retrieved 14 May 2012
- "Lenton P C C"; Diocese of Lincoln. Retrieved 14 May 2012
- "North Beltisloe Group Council Report for PCC AGMs."; Boothby.org.uk. PDF download required. Retrieved 14 May 2012
- "North Beltisloe web site".
- OSGB (2006). Bourne & Heckington: Billingborough & Morton (Map). 1:25000. OS Explorer Map (3 ed.). p. 248. ISBN 978-0-319-23811-0. http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/products/paper-maps/paper-maps-ordnance-survey-great-britain/paper-maps-ordnance-survey-great-britain-os-explorer-map/bourne-and-heckington/pid-9780319238110. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- "Pastscape". Little Lavington or Lenton. English Heritage. 2007. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- "Little Lavington: TF030310"; Gridreferencefinder.com. Retrieved 23 April 2012
- "Pastscape". Osgodby. English Heritage. 2007. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language