Largest creative work
The largest creative work is the largest or longest item in different fields of creative works. Some pieces were created with the specific intention of holding the record while others have been recognised for their size after completion.
- The largest known general encyclopedia is the Yongle Encyclopedia commissioned by the Chinese Ming Dynasty emperor Yongle in 1403. It comprised 22,877 manuscript volumes in 11,095 books occupying 40 cubic metres (1400 ft³).
- The longest poem in any language is the Mahabharata, with more than 100,000 couplets.
- The longest epic cycle is the Tibetan Epic of King Gesar, which contains over 20 million words in more than one million verses.
- The longest musical performance began on 5 September 2001 and is set to last for 639 years. The first audible note of John Cage's As Slow As Possible was not actually heard until 5 February 2003.
Paintings and sculptures
- The largest painting by a single-artist is Sun Lei's 21,594.6 square metres (232,442 sq ft) Beautiful Soul of China, made over a period of 8 years in Shandong, China.
- The longest painting was created by a single-artist, Sun Lei, in Shandong, China and measures 11,997 metres (39,360 ft). It was completed in 1995.
- The largest glass sculpture is Fiori di Como by Dale Chihuly, found on the ceiling of the lobby for Las Vegas's Bellagio hotel. It measures 2,000 square feet (190 m2).
Theatre, film and television
- The Cure for Insomnia, directed by John Henry Timmis IV, is officially the world's longest film. Running 5,220 minutes (87 hours) in length, the film is a documentary performance of artist L. D. Groban reading his lengthy poem "A Cure for Insomnia" over the course of three and a half days, spliced with occasional clips from heavy metal and pornographic videos.
- The longest running U.S. television series is Meet the Press, a news program which started on 6 November 1947 and continues today.
Last modified on 29 January 2013, at 16:10↑Jump back a section
- BBC News. 5 February 2003. "http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2728595.stm First notes for 639-year composition". Accessed 2 September 2006.
- Shanghai Great World DSJJNS, Certificate No 00295Don Noehr. "Beautiful Soul of China". Noehr-Roberts Curators and Art dealers. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- GlassonWeb. August 2005. "Fiori di Como". Accessed 2 September 2006.
- Internet Movie Database. "The Cure for Insomnia". Accessed 2 September 2006.
- "Photo in the News: World's Largest Carpet Woven for Worshippers". News.nationalgeographic.com. 2010-10-28. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- "World's largest carpet unveiled in Iran". Payvand.com. Retrieved 2011-08-30.