Laisterdyke is an area of Bradford, West Yorkshire, England, situated to the east of the city on the border with City of Leeds and located in the Bradford Moor ward and in the East Bradford parliamentary constituency. Laisterdyke borders Barkerend, Bradford Moor area, Thornbury, Tyersal, and Bowling.
The Leeds-Bradford railway line passes through Laisterdyke however Laisterdyke railway station itself was closed to passengers in 1966. At Laisterdyke was a complex set of junctions controlled by Laisterdyke East and Laisterdyke West signal boxes on the Leeds-Bradford line.
In 1875 the Great Northern Railway opened its Laisterdyke - Shipley branch railway, a six mile double track branch line from Quarry Gap junction to Shipley and Windhill railway station, passing Eccleshill, Idle and Thackley railway stations however the line wasn't competitive and after 1913 was made single line freight only, and progressively closed from 1966 to 1968.
Many years ago the Laisterdyke area had a number of small cinemas, namely the Kozey Picture Hall, Lyceum Cinema, Queen's Hall and Tivoli Picture Hall. Today there is only one cinema in the locality, the Odeon Leeds-Bradford, a 13 screen multiplex cinema in the Gallagher Leisure Park off Dick Lane, in nearby Thornbury.
Laisterdyke local history group publish a number of books on the history of Laisterdyke.
There are a number of restaurants and public houses in the area including The Swain Green. Restaurants include the Mumtaz. Local industry includes Thorite - manufacturer of air compressors, air tools and pneumatic equipment, BTAL - a training centre, Bowers Group engineering works, a gas distribution depot, vehicle dismantlers and scrap yard.
Laisterdyke Business and Enterprise College formerly known as Laisterdyke High School, is located in Thornbury Road, and is the first school in Bradford to be given Business and Enterprise specialist college status. Laisterdyke has a public lending library located off Leeds Road.
The main roads through the area are the A647 Leeds Road, the A6177 Killinghall Road, Laisterdyke Lane, and Sticker Lane and the B6381 Barkerend Road, Coach Row, and Leeds Old Road. Laisterdyke is served by West Yorkshire Metro's, Orange line 606 and 607 bus services.
Laisterdyke Cricket & Athletic Club have their cricket ground and club off Sticker Lane.
See also↑Jump back a section
- "Railway pages". John's web pages. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "Laisterdyke - Shipley Branch Railway, 1875 to 1968". keyhole. Retrieved 2010-03-04.; "Railway Ramblers Bradford". Lost Railways of West Yorkshire. Retrieved 2010-03-04.; Armour, Chris. "Thackley Station". Subterranea Britannica. Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- Gould, Peter. "General History: The Trolleybus in Britain 1911-1972". Local Transport History. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Community Info Provided by Bradford Online". Bradford online. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- Sutton, Colin (2003-04). "Cinemas of Laisterdyke". A History of Bradford Cinemas. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "Odeon Leeds-Bradford". QYPE. Retrieved 2010-02-15.
- "Laisterdyke Local History Group". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- "Laisterdyke Restaurants, Bars, Gigs, Hotels, Events & more". QYPE. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "Sunday School". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "2-34, Mortimer Row". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "3-25, Parratt Row". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "St Peters Chaplaincy". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "Stable Block and Coach House in Yard to Rear of St Peters Chaplaincy". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "Laisterdyke Business and Enterprise College". City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council. Retrieved 2009-12-15.; Law, Joan. "About the college". Laisterdyke Business+Enterprise College. Retrieved 2009-12-15.; "Laisterdyke Business and Enterprise College". School Index. Retrieved 2009-12-15.; "Laisterdyke Business And Enterprise College Bradford". Schools Net. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "Laisterdyke Business & Enterprise College.pdf" (PDF). Enterprising Yorkshire. 2008-07. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "Library & Information Services, Laisterdyke Library". Bradford Metropolitan District Council. 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "Laisterdyke Library". lib - web - cats. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "Bus timetables: Services 600 to 699". Metro. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Laisterdyke Cricket Club". Play-Cricket. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Laisterdyke|
|Bowling and Barkerend ward||Pudsey, Leeds|