Kurt Kuenne is an award-winning American filmmaker and composer. He has directed a number of short and feature films, including Rent-a-Person, the YouTube film Validation, described as "a romantic epic in miniature" and the documentary Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father.
He grew up in Northern California, and began making films aged 7 on Super 8 film and later video. He studied film at University of Southern California's School of Cinema-Television, where he made Remembrances (1995) and was awarded the Harold Lloyd Scholarship in Film Editing. He then studied film composing, but returned to directing with feature Scrapbook (1999).
Validation (2007), written, directed, and scored by Kuenne, was distributed through Gay Hendricks's Spiritual Cinema Circle and is a short film about a parking attendant (played by T.J. Thyne) who dispenses advice to his customers. It won Best Short Grand Prize at the 2007 Heartland Film Festival, and The Independent Film Critic rated it A+. It has received over 7.5 million YouTube views.
Kuenne's documentary Dear Zachary (2008), about the murder of his childhood friend Andrew Bagby, was received as a documentary that "will rip you apart inside and pour your guts out through your tear ducts".
His latest feature film Shuffle (2011) again stars T.J. Thyne, playing a man who finds his life running out of sequence. It won the Jury Award for Best Feature at the 17th Stony Brook Film Festival.
- Dawson, Nick, "KURT KUENNE, “DEAR ZACHARY: A LETTER TO A SON ABOUT HIS FATHER”", Filmmakers Magazine, October 31, 2008
- Brown, Lane, "Filmmaker Kurt Kuenne Punches Your Stub", Vulture.com, February 2009
- Sartin, Hank, "Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father", Time Out Chicago, Issue 193: November 6–12, 2008
- Ford, Arielle, "FREE FILM ONLINE: Validation: Interview with Writer/Director Kurt Kuenne"
- "Validation" Review, The Independent Critic
- "Validation" by Kurt Kuenne, You+Dallas
- Tsai Martin, "Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father is a Lifetime in the Making", Village Voice, 29 October 2008
- Campbell, Christopher, "Doc Talk: Who Wants to Cry at the Movies?", movies.com
- New Film from Kurt Kuenne and TJ Thyne "Shuffle", CNN, August 30, 2012
- "Shuffle", Santa Cruz Film Festival Festival Genius, 2012
- "17th Annual Stony Brook Film Festival Winners", Stony Brook Film Festival