Kudu gas field
|Kudu gas field|
|Partners||Tullow Oil, Itochu, Namcor, Gazprom|
|Start of production||2013|
|Estimated gas in place||1,300×109 cu ft (37×109 m3)|
|Producing formations||Barremian sandstones|
The Kudu gas field is a offshore gas field in Namibia approximately 170 kilometres (110 mi) north-west from the city of Oranjemund. It is located in the Orange Sub-basin in 170 metres (560 ft) of water.
Discovered in 1974, the license has been held by a number of companies including Royal Dutch Shell, Chevron Texaco and Energy Africa. In 2004, Tullow Oil acquired Energy Africa for US$570 million and with its 90% interest in the license. Later Tullow Oil sold 20% of the project to Itochu. The remaining 10% is held by Namibian state oil company Namcor.
On Tuesday, 18 September 2007, shares of Tullow Oil declined by more than 3.0% after the group announced that it had to abandon the Kudu-8 exploration well offshore Namibia and that a second well planned nearby won't be drilled.
The field is estimated to contain 1.3 trillion cubic feet (37×109 m3) of proven natural gas reserves however more recent exploration and analysis suggests that reserves could reach 3 trillion cubic feet (85×109 m3) with potential up to 9 trillion cubic feet (250×109 m3). These figures though are dependent on further work that is yet to be carried out by Tullow Oil on different parts of the field with other geological settings.
Suggested development of the field has been for a subsea tie back which would potentially make it one of the world's longest. The tie back would connect it to an 800-megawatt power plant to be located near Oranjemund. The field would be crucial in meeting Namibia's growing energy demand.
- "Tullow mulling options for Kudu gas". International Oil Letter (IHS Inc.) 25 (12). 2008-03-23. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Gazprom to Get Shares in Kudu". Namibian (AllAfrica). 2009-11-17. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- Ingi Salgado (2007-03-29). "Tullow in partnership talks for Kudu gas field". Business Report (Business Report & Independent Online (Pty) Ltd). Retrieved 2007-06-01.
- "Gazprom signs up for Kudu". Upstream Online (NHST Media Group). 2010-03-05. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Kudu gas phases under review". Offshore (PennWell Corporation). 2006-04-23. Retrieved 2007-06-01.
- "Projects". Nampower.
- "Onshore equivalents of the main Kudu gas reservoir in Namibia". Geological Society, London.