||This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (August 2010)|
|— neighborhood —|
|Elevation||9 m (30 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Khidirpur or Kidderpore is a neighborhood of metropolitan Kolkata (Calcutta). Located in the central-west part of the city, it is bounded by the districts of Alipore in the east, Ekbalpore in the south, Hastings, in the north, Metiabruz in the south-west and the Hooghly River in the west.
One of the oldest parts of the city, Kidderpore has a funny legend as far as its name is concerned. It is said that some British could not converse in Bengali. Whenever they passed by, their asking in broken Hindi for the directions to the port where their ships used to dock sounded somewhat like 'kidder-port'. More plausibly, the name is a corruption of Khidrpur or Khizarpur, Khizr/Khidr being the guardian saint of the seas and the delta for the fishing communities in Bengal. This is one of the version behind the nominiclature of the place. In fact, the port got its name from Lord Kyde, a 19th century engineer who designed and supervised the building of the lock gate that connects the port to the Hoogly River. Because of his work, the tidal difference of the Hoogly River water level is isolated from the water level of the port. The port took his name and is called Kyderpore or Khidirpur.
The gateway of Kidderpore is at the crossing of Diamond Harbour Road and Gangadhar Banerjee Lane. At that place a roadside restaurant dating from the British era remains, named "Panchubabu's Shop" or "Panchubabur Dokan", one of the landmarks of Kidderpore. The area is also home to quite a few dargahs of Sufi saints like Syed Baba and Shah Warsi Baba, to name a few.
A number of soldiers killed during the 2nd World Wars were buried at the Solana Muslim burial ground.
Fancy Market is the largest eletronics Market in India,it was the first fancy goods market in India for imported goods. GK Communication is the Khidderpore's second largest eletronics showroom (It is named after sufi saint Khwaja Garib Nawaz and Gaus Pak, Gaus-e-Khwaja)
- Brazil Business Centre(BBC) is a Well Known Showroom in khidderpore for eletronics,It has a history bhind.It is one of the oldest and longest showroom in West Bengal located in Fancy Market.Firstly it was a coffee importer from Brazil and manufacturer all over India and exporter ,it was known as Brazil coffee centre. People from Russia,China,Poland,Turkey,UAE,UK and etc would come here to import tea and coffee to their country.
Even in the field of Indian Literature, this part of Kolkata had produced three jewel poets. They were Rongolal Bandhopadhyay, Hemchandra Bandopadhyay and Michael Madhushudan Dutta. As no other place or locality in West Bengal had ever produced three such poetic maestros together so there is name given to a road to tribute this fact, it is the "Kabitirtha Sarani".
Also Very Famous "Dey Sarkar's" they belong to Royal Family of Khidderpore of more than 400years.. History starts with Sir Shyama Charan Dey Sarkar, a great Shipmen during British Times after his Death his successor Sir Prassanya Kumar Dey Sarker also built many Heritage properties in Khidderpore, then his son Sir Mohim Chandra Dey Sarker, he was God to poor people, he helped the poor peoples of that time for their daughters marraige,he was always beside them for medical help and in times of emergency, he use run a business of Barrel supplier on ships which gave him a turn over of 1.5lakhs/month on 1930's, He was called "Baron of Khidderpore".
St Thomas school, which is probably one of the oldest and largest (in area) schools of India is situated here. Its history runs for more than 220 years. The entire area donated by the then Raja of Bhukailash Rajbari. Online Share Mandi is trusted equity dealer in this locality from last 10 years.
Kidderpore is located at  It has an average elevation of 9 m (30 ft)..
Kidderpore Bridge is one the few bridges in Kolkata that has trams plying over it. The Kidderpore Tram Depot connects famous locations like Kalighat, Tollygunge and Ballygunge, etc. The Kidderpore crosspoint (also called More in Bengali) is connected with North, South and Central Kolkata by various private and state bus services. Kidderpore is the site of the only ocean port in India accessed by river. Kidderpore can also be accessed by the Kolkata Circular Railway which has a station in the locality. In the future, the negihborhood will be connected to the city center by the Kolkata Metro.
I - Major Hospitals:
- Calcutta Medical Research Institute
- BM Birla Heart Research Center
- Kothari Medical Research Center
II - Major Nursing Homes:
- Labbaik Medical Center
- Ekbalpore Nursing Home
- Netaji Nursing Home
- Port View Nursing Home
Besides there are some governmental medical institutions like Calcutta Dock Labour Board Hospital and Shambhunath Pandit Hospital.
- Jnan Chandra Ghosh College of Polytechnique
- Adarsh Hindi High School
- Kidderpore College
- St. Thomas College of Engg And Technology, Diamond Harbour Road
- St. Thomas' School, Diamond Harbour Road
- St. Paul's School Kidderpore, Diamond Harbour Road# St. Teresa Secondary School, Diamond Harbour Road
- Lajpat Hindi High School(H.S.),
- Loyola High School
- The Kidderpore Academy
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Command Hospital
- Sarat Chandra Paul Girls High School
- Sir Syed High School (Urdu)
- Kidderpore Urdu Girls Primary School
- Kidderpore oriya high school
- Kidderpore Balika Vidyatan
- Bankim Ghosh Smriti Uchha Balika Vidyalaya
- Jnan Bhaskar Vidyalaya.
- Thomas Day High School.
- jnan bhaskar vidyalay
Places of interest
- Kidderpore Hanging bridge.
- Bhukailash ground Mela.(annually)
- Raja's old Rajbari.
- Solana Mosque (Muslim Burial Ground)
- Lord Shiva's Temple at Bhukoilash and the adjacent Bhukoilash Rajbati
- Hastings House, Warren Hasting's Residence
- The Kidderpore Fancy Market, famous for latest foreign goods.
- The Twin Shiv Temple at Bhukailash, it considered that it is the biggest ShivLinga in India.
- Kolkata Port Trust
- Kidderpore Tram Depot
- Manasa Mandir besides 3 no. Bus Terminus, now abolished. This is the oldest one of this area and the Purohits are from Shantipur, Dist: Nadia
- Panchananda Mandir at Panchanantala (Watgunge Crossing)
- Mahalakshmi Mandir situated Opposite of Alipore Body Guard LInes.
- Kidderpore Puddapukur the only Swimming Club of Kidderpore situated
- Hanging Place of Maharaja Nandakumar at Hastings
- The oldest Church in Kidderpore situated inside of St. Thomas School
- The Engineering College inside St. Thomas School Campus
- Ismail Masjid (Oldest masjid of the area)
- Syed Ameer Ali Library
- Kidderpore Akra Kali Mondir, More than 100 years old, near to Jubok Sangha club
- Kidderpore Shitala Temple at Pitambar Sarkar Lane (The goddess is very much awakened to the people)
- Kidderpore Shitala Temple at Nazir Lane (The goddess is also very much awakened to the people)
- India Restaurant--- Famous restaurant near fancy market.
- Jamhuri Masjid.
- Shadman palace--- renowned Marriage Hall.
- Nawab Ali Park.
- Hemchandra Pathagar is the oldest library in Kidderpore, recently the library authority renovated its building and established a stage named Hem Madhu Ranga Mancha in the name the three poet of Kidderpore.
- Michael Madhusudan library is the second oldest one. it also have its own building. and engaged with different activities.
- Excepting the above, some small libraries established in Kidderpore in different time. In 1944 a few enthusiastic people of the area established a small library at 32, Harisava Street, mainly the organizers of the local Durgapuja Committee, in memory of Shishir Chatterjee, one of the then executive member of that Durgapuja Committee. The Library named as "Shishir Smriti Pathagar" (Shishir Memorial Library) situated inside the space of Kidderpore Mitali Sangha, now abolished. Another one is "Abhijatri Pathagar" (Abirjatri Library) at Ramanath Paul Road : Now abolished.
- Kidderpore Sporting Club: It is a first division Football club and is the Pride & Glory of Kidderpore People.
- kidderpore aviyan club and puja samiti
- Bhukailash Navyuvak Society.(BNS)
- Khidderpore School of Physical Culture (KSOPC - Boxing Club)
- Kidderpore Tarun Samsad
- Kidderpore Venus Club
- Kidderpore Bayam Samiti
- Kidderpore Boys Sporting Club
- Kidderpoe Nabajatri Sangha
- Kidderpore Sandhyanir : Famous for organising Kali puja with one of tallest Kali idol in Kolkata
- Kidderpore Milan Sangha : One of the oldest clubs in Kidderpore locality known for its Social services rendered to the society and a famous Durga puja.
- Kidderpore ananda sporting club,now known as 26 palli club. It is 80years old.
- Khidderpore Diamond Sangha - Syama Puja.. ESTD-1947
- kidderpore young socity
- Young Boys group,Mansatala Lane
- kidderpore jublee garden club
- young men's athletic club
- Kabitirtha Kinds Society Taekwondo Club
- Kidderpore 25 Palli Sarbojanin Durgotsab Samity, it is performing its prime activity i.e. Durgapuja for 67 years
- Sangha Shakti at backside of Hem Chandra Library, Famous for Yoga and Bayam.
- Palli Sharadiya Club: At (Padda pukur)Hemchandra St. & Mohun Ch. Rd. Crossing. Famous For Durga Puja,
- Mahabir Bayam Samity :- Most of the people know this as AKHRA. During the time of British era, Late Sudhanshu Shekhar Banerjee(6/1b, Bishu Babu Lane), late Phatik Bandyopadhyaya (Ramkamal Street)and Late Bijoy Banerjee (Michael Dutta Street) founded this SAMITY. All of them were the active freedom fighter and student of Barin Ghosh (the founder of ANUSILAN SAMITY and younger brother of RISHI ARAVINDO GHOSH).
- Sukanto Pathagar at Padda pukur sq.
- Bhukailash Pally at 4/3 Bhukailash road.
- KIDDERPORE SABUJ SANGHA
- KHIDDERPORE AMRA SABAI CLUB = estd at 1964 situated at dock east boundry road khidderpore kol-23 it is an oldest club in port area and known for its religious unity and organizations
- MARGAM: Margam, a community focussed organisation located in this area works for the education of underprivileged children. Margam has a small team and the support of innumerable responsible citizens of this country who have extended their hand in our support. There have been times when our patience has been tested and questions have been raised. But we have worked hard as a team to defy the rules and norms that has been set. We gave meaning to our lives by being a part of Margam. There are around 80 children associated with Margam who are being nurtured into better human beings with education and values. kidder
The only Bengali periodical published from Kidderpore is "Khidirpur Darpan" (The Mirror of Kidderpore)The name of the Editor is Sri Barun Mukherjee, is the most effortful sincere and hardworker to establish the periodical. The interval of the release is irregular now.