Keith Knight (cartoonist)
|Keith Knight (cartoonist)|
|Born||Keith Edgar Knight, Jr.
August 24, 1966
|Notable works||The K Chronicles
The Knight Life
|Awards||Glyph Comics Awards, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
Harvey Award, 2007
Comic Con Inkpot Award, 2010
Keith Edgar Knight, Jr. (born August 24, 1966 in Malden, Massachusetts) is an American cartoonist and musician. While his work is humorous and universal in appeal, he also often deals with political, social, and racial issues. His regular feature The K Chronicles appears in various outlets, including DailyKos and previously appeared in the San Francisco Examiner, while (Th)ink is published on several newspapers and websites, especially African-American sites. A syndicated daily strip for United Media, The Knight Life, was launched in 2008. Knight is also the artist for two strips appearing in Mad, "Father O'Flannity's Hot Tub Confessions" and "Bully Baby".
In the March 14, 2012 strip of The K Chronicles, he announced he was working on a graphic novel about his brief (1984–1985) career as a professional Michael Jackson impersonator. The book will be entitled "I Was A Teenage Michael Jackson Impersonator".
Knight is married to German-born illustrator Kerstin Konietzka-Knight. They have one son. Both wife and son appear as characters in The K Chronicles and The Knight Life. (The timeline of The Knight Life is about two years behind The K Chronicles.) Knight often pokes gentle fun at his wife's mangling of English idioms. Their son is not referred to by name, but is sometimes referred to as The Unbearable Cuteness of Being. Recently, his wife has given birth to their second child.
The K Chronicles has twice won "Best Comic Strip" in the Glyph Comics Awards, in 2006 and 2007.
- Dances with Sheep (1997, Manic D Press) ISBN 0-916397-50-5
- Fear of a Black Marker (2000, Manic D Press) ISBN 0-916397-63-7
- What a Long Strange Strip It's Been (2002, Top Shelf Productions) ISBN 1-891830-30-9
- Red, White, Black & Blue: a (th)ink anthology (2004, Manic D Press) ISBN 0-916397-88-2
- The Passion of the Keef (2005, Manic D Press) ISBN 0-916397-67-X
- Are We Feeling Safer Yet? A (th)ink Anthology (2007, Top Shelf Productions) ISBN 978-0-9788053-0-2
- The Complete K Chronicles, a compilation of the first four K Chronicles books (2008, Dark Horse Comics) ISBN 978-1-59307-943-7
- Beginner's Guide to Community-Based Arts (2005, New Village Press) ISBN 978-0-9766054-3-0
- I Left my Arse in San Francisco (2008, self-published)
- Too Small To Fail: another (th)ink anthology (2009, self-published)
- The Knight Life: "Chivalry Ain't Dead" (2010, Grand Central Publishing) ISBN 978-0-446-54866-3
Discography (with Marginal Prophets)
- Twist the Nob (1997)
- dead hippie bootleg : the Marginal Prophets live!! (2002)
- Bohemian Rap CD (2004)
- Lanier, Chris (November/December 2008). "'The comics page shouldn't be like a jury...'". The Believer 6 (9): 71–78.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language