Julie Ann Giroux (born December 12, 1961 in Fairhaven, Massachusetts) is an American composer of orchestral, choral, chamber, and numerous concert band works. She is a three time Emmy Award nominee and in 1992 won an Emmy Award in the category of Outstanding Individual Achievement in Music Direction. Ms. Giroux has an extensive list of published works for Concert Band and Wind Ensembles.
Giroux graduated from Ouachita Parish High School, in Monroe, Louisiana and earned a Bachelor of Music in Performance from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. During her college years, Giroux composed several concert band works which were published by Southern Music Company. Immediately after graduation she traveled to Los Angeles, California and began orchestrating under the employ of American composer Bill Conti for the Television Mini Series North and South. While in Los Angeles Giroux studied with several composers and orchestrators including Bill Conti, Jack Eskew and Greg McRitchie. While in Los Angeles, Julie Giroux received the following Prime Time Emmy Award nominations:
- 1989-1990 Outstanding Individual Achievement in Music Direction
- 1990-1991 Outstanding Individual Achievement in Music Direction
- 1991-1992 Outstanding Individual Achievement in Music Direction - Winner of this Emmy Award.
From 1985 to 1997 Julie Giroux orchestrated for television and films including April Fool's Day, Dynasty,North and South, North and South Book II,The Karate Kid Part II, Broadcast News, Masters of the Universe,White Men Can't Jump, and Blaze.
In 1997, Giroux began to compose heavily for concert bands and orchestras publishing exclusively with Musica Propria. In 2004 Gia Publications, Inc. published the book entitled "Composers on Composing for Band, Volume Two" which features a chapter written by Julie Giroux. Her insightful chapter gives a down to earth description which is often humorous of her personal methods and techniques for composing for bands. In 2009 Giroux, an accomplished pianist, performed her latest work Cordoba for Solo Piano and Concert Band in 5 U.S. cities and attended the premier of Arcus IX, a work for Solo F Tuba and Concert Band at Blinn College in Brenham, Texas.
Her 2009 Film and documentary orchestrations and compositions include the ongoing project "Call for Green China" which primarily funded by World Bank was recorded, performed and broadcast live in china in 2007. In 2009 the project was extended with new musical material, recorded and set to tour 7 cities in China where the show will be performed live.
Giroux is a Member of American Bandmasters Association (ABA)and an honorary brother of the Omicron Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi at West Virginia University. She was initiated into the fraternity on April 2, 2005. She currently resides in Jackson, Mississippi and continues to compose, orchestrate and arrange for television, movies, concert bands and Orchestras.
Recent Recordings Include:
- The Music of Julie Giroux released by Mark Masters in 2010, recorded by the University of Texas at El Paso Wind Symphony with Ron Hufstader conducting.
A recording of Julie Girouxs music has been overdue but this solid collection by UTEP Wind Symphony was worth the wait. Girouxs works have been receiving plenty of attention in the programs of bands and wind ensembles everywhere. While Girouxs earlier works are in the catalog of Southern Music Company, this recorded collection of more recent works are in the catalog of Music Propria, Inc. The compositions featured are Vigils Keep, La Mezquita de Cordoba, Journey Through Orion, Glenbury Grove, the appropriately named Let Your Spirit Sing and a most descriptive work entitled KHAN. Also included are a pair of Girouxs most popular compositions To Walk With Wings: Fanfare & Overture and the Finale from the three movement suite Culloden. The listener will find Girouxs style very appreciable, imaginative and free from the clutter, clichés, and tedium of so many other composers in their writings for school, community and professional bands. Ron Hufstader and the UTEP Wind Symphony have outdone themselves with this ideal recording of Girouxs music. I eagerly await Volume 2!!—Ira Novoselsky - Band World 2010
- Julie Giroux Presents "Concert Band Christmas Gone Crazy" - released by Mark Masters in 2011, recorded by the University of Texas at El Paso Wind Symphony with Ron Hufstader conducting.
- Jingle them Bells - Christmas Favorites Re-imagined by Julie Giroux - Released by Klavier, Distributed by Naxos - UPC:019688704322, Item Number: K 77043, Release Date: Oct 30, 2012. Performed by the University of North Texas Symphonic Band, Dennis Fisher conducting.
Giroux's concert works are published by Musica Propria and Southern Music Company. Most have been recorded by Mark Custom Recordings,  Fontec, Klavier, and Naxos. Numerous United States Military Band recordings include her works. Those compact discs can be obtained by contacting the appropriate military band or purchased through various labels. All of the Concert Band/Wind Ensemble listed works are Published and most can be listened to at the composer's official website.
Published Orchestral Music
- Fort McHenry Suite
I. The Rockets Red Glare
II. Dimly Seen Through the Mists of the Deep
III. Freemen Shall Stand
- Arcus IX
- La Mezquita de Cordoba
- Moorish Piano Concerto for Piano and Orchestra in Four Movements
Published Concert Band and Wind Ensemble Music
- A Time to Dance
- All Good Things
- Arcus IX (for solo f tuba and band)
- Boston Liberties
- Circus Franticus
- Cordoba (for solo piano and band)
- Crown of Thorns
- Dream Dancer
- Fantasie in French
- Fort McHenry Suite
- Glenbury Grove
- Glenbury Grove
- Hands of Mercy
- Husaria Cavalry Overture
- Il Burlone
- I'll Be Home A'fore Ye
- Italian Rhapsody
- Journey Through Orion
- La Mezquita de Cordoba
- Let Your Spirit Sing
- Louisiana Parish Sketches
- Mambo Perro Loco
- March of the Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Medalist Fanfare & Celebration
- Movin' On Down the Line
- Mystery on Mena Mountain
- Nothing That Is
- One Life Beautiful
- Overture in Five Flat
- Prisoner of the Ring
- Space Symphony
- Strathcona Suite
- The Bonsai Tree
- The Greatest Generation
- The Nature of the Beast
- The Necromancer
- The Speed of Heat
- Three Fanfares
- Tiger Tail March
- To Walk With Wings
- Vigils Keep
- Wagon Trail
- West Wind Overture
- What Goes in the Night
- When Country Comes to Town
Published Symphonies for Concert Band and Wind ensembles
- Culloden (3 Movements)
I. Heilan Lochs, Bairns & Heather
II. I Hae Grat for Tho' I Kend
III. We Toomed Our Stoops for the Gaudy Sodgers
- No Finer Calling (3 Movements)
I. Integrity March
II. Far From Home
III. Honor Above All
- A Symphony of Fables (5 Movements)
I. The Lion and the Mouse
II. The Pied Piper of Hamelin
III. The Tortoise and the Hare
IV. The Ugly Duckling
V. The Three Billy Goats Gruff
- Bookmarks from Japan ( composed in 2013 -6 Movements)
I.Mount Fuji - "Fuji-san"
II. Nihonbashi - "Market Bridge"
III. The Great Wave off Kanagawa - "The Life of One Wave"
IV.Kinryuzan Temple in Asakusa - "Thunder Gate"
V.Evening Snow at Kambara - "Light is the Touch"
VI.Hakone - "Drifting"
- Silent Night in Gotham
- A Stocking Full of Composers
- Christmas with Mozart
- O Holy Night (arrangement for solo soprano and band)
- Nearer My God to Thee
- Christmas & Sousa Forever!
- Peter Patapan
- The Little Bolero Boy
- Hark! Those Jingle Bells are Smokin'
- Merrily on High
- All Through the Night
- The First Noel
- The 12 Days of Christmas
- What Child is Ringing those Bells?
- I Got Rhythm for Christmas
- Jingle them Bells
- Three Wise Guys
- Away in the Manger
- Christmas Toons
- One Torch, Two Women, Three Ships and Men Rejoicing
- The Blue Danube Christmas Waltz
- I'll Be Home for Christmas (Brass Feature)
- A Very Merry Heart & Soul
- Nutcracker Fantasia
- Concerto in F Minor, Op. 8, No. 4(RV297), "L'inverno" 1st Movement (Winter)- Vivaldi (Woodwind Feature)
- Drummer Boy Charlie (Percussion & Rhythm Feature)
- Julie Giroux Emmy Award at www.IMDb.com
- Southern Music Company Composers at www.southernmusic.com
- 1990 Emmy Award Nominees at www.imdb.com
- 1991 Emmy Award Nominees at www.imdb.com
- 1992 Emmy Award Nominees at www.imdb.com
- IMDb listing for Julie Giroux at www.imdb.com
- The Television series Dynasty at www.imdb.com
- The Mini Series North and South at www.imdb.com
- The Mini Series North and South Book II at www.imdb.com
- Masters of the Universe at www.imdb.com
- White Men Can't Jump at www.imdb.com
- Blaze at www.imdb.com
- Musica Propria Publishing Company at www.musicapropria.com
- Composers on Composing for Band, Volume II. at giamusic.com
- Cordoba a work for Solo Piano and Concert Band at Julie Giroux's Official Website
- Arcus IX a work for Solo F Tuba and Concert Band at Julie Giroux's Official Website
- Call for a Green China (2007 production) at www.worldbank.org
- Mark Custom Recording Services at www.markcustom.com
- Fontec at www.fontec.co.jp
- Klavier at www.klavier-records.com
- Naxos at www.naxos.com
- The Official Website of Julie Giroux Julie Giroux's Official Website
- The Music of Julie Giroux Julie Giroux's official Concert Band Website
- Julie Giroux on IMDB The Internet Movie Database (IMDB)
- Has recordings of Giroux's music Mark Custom Recording Service
- Publisher of Composers on Composing for Band Vol.II GIA Publications, Inc.
- The CD "The Music of Julie Giroux" Amazon
- The CD "Julie Giroux Presents - Concert Band Christmas Music Gone Crazy" Amazon
- The CD "Julie Giroux Presents - Concert Band Christmas Music Gone Crazy" Itunes
- The CD "Jingle Them Bells" Amazon
- The CD "Jingle Them Bells" Itunes