John Patrick Shanley
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
|John Patrick Shanley|
3 October 1950 |
The Bronx, New York, USA
|Occupation||Playwright and Screenwriter|
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Debut works||Welcome to the Moon (1982)
Women of Manhattan (1986)
|Awards||Academy Award (1988), Pulitzer Prize for Drama (2005), Tony Award (2005)|
Life and career
Shanley was born in The Bronx, New York City, to a telephone operator mother and a meat-packer father. Per his Editorial Review by Amazon, he was thrown out of St. Helene's kindergarten, banned from St. Anthony's hot lunch program and expelled from Cardinal Spellman High School. When asked why he had been treated in this way, he burst into tears and said he had no idea. Then he went into the United States Marines.
He is a graduate of New York University, and is a member of the Ensemble Studio Theatre. For his script for the 1987 film, Moonstruck, Shanley won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen.
In 1990, Shanley directed his script of Joe Versus the Volcano. Shanley also wrote two songs for the movie: "Marooned Without You" and "The Cowboy Song."
In 2005, Shanley's play Doubt: A Parable was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and the Drama Desk Award and Tony Award for Best Play. Doubt: A Parable, is featured in The Fourth Wall, a book of photographs by Amy Arbus in which Shanley also wrote the foreword.
In 2012, Shanley wrote the libretto for an opera version of "Doubt: A Parable" which is set to premiere at the Minnesota Opera in January, 2013. He told how the opera version came about, even though he knew little about opera, in  a Jan. 17. 2013 article in the Wall Street Journal. In the same spirit, the playwright offered this February 11, 2013, New York Times op-ed : "Farewell to an Uninspiring Pope".
Awards and nominations
- 1988 Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay – Moonstruck
- 2005 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding New Play – Doubt: A Parable
- 2005 Pulitzer Prize for Drama – Doubt: A Parable
- 2005 Tony Award for Best Play – Doubt: A Parable
- 2005 Lucille Lortel Award for Outstanding Play – Doubt: A Parable
- 2005 Drama Critics' Circle Award – Doubt: A Parable
- 2005 Obie Award for Playwriting – Doubt: A Parable
- 2003 Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, or Dramatic Special – Live From Baghdad
- 2005 Drama Desk Award Outstanding New Play – Sailor's Song
- 2008 Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay – Doubt
- 2008 Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay – Doubt
- 2008 Critics' Choice Award for Writer – Doubt
- Alex Witchel, "The Confessions of John Patrick Shanley," The New York Times Magazine, November 7, 2004.
- Bronx Walk of Fame Inductees, 2004
- IMDB, Doubt
- John Patrick Shanley at the Internet Broadway Database
- John Patrick Shanley at the Internet Movie Database
- John Patrick Shanley at the Internet Off-Broadway Database
- Works by John Patrick Shanley on Open Library at the Internet Archive
- John Patrick Shanley profile in The New York Times Magazine
- A Re-'Doubt'-able Effort: A Cultural Conversation with John Patrick Shanley in "The Wall Street Journal"