John Cramer (priest)
|John Antony Cramer|
|Died||24 August 1848
|Alma mater||Christ Church, Oxford|
|Title||Regius Professor of Modern History|
|Successor||Henry Halford Vaughan|
He was educated at Westminster and Christ Church, Oxford. He resided in Oxford till 1844, during which time he held many important offices, being public orator, principal of New Inn Hall (which he rebuilt at his own expense), and Regius Professor of Modern History from 1842 until 1848. In 1844 he was appointed to the deanery of Carlisle Cathedral, which he held until his death at Scarborough on 24 August 1848.
His works include:
- A Dissertation on the Passage of Hannibal over the Alps, published with his cousin, Henry Lewis Wickham (2nd ed., 1828).
- geographical and historical descriptions of Ancient Italy (1826)
- Ancient Greece (1828)
- Asia Minor (1832)
- Travels of Nicander Nucius of Corcyra traveller of the 16th century in England (1841)
- Catenae Graecorum Patrum in Novum Testamentum (1838–1844)
- Anecdota Graeca e codd. manuscriptis bibliothecarum oxoniensium (4 vols, 1835-1837)
- Anecdota Graeca (from the manuscripts of the royal library in Paris, 4 vols, 1839–1841).
- "Cramer, John Antony". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900. pp. 4–5.
- vol. 1 (1835) Ὁμήρου Ἐπιμερισμοὶ κατ' ἀλφάβητον (e cod. Oxon. bibl. Novi Colleg. 298, saec. XIV ex.); vol. 2 (1835) Θεογνώστου Κανόνες, pp. 1-165; Χοιροβοσκοῦ Ὀρθογραφία, 167-281; Περὶ ποσότητος, 283-330; Ἐπιμερισμοὶ κατὰ στοιχεῖον. Γραφικά, 331-426; Ἐκλογαὶ διαφόρων λέξεων συνηλεγμένων (sic) ἐκ τε τῆς Γραφῆς καὶ τῶν θύραθεν πραγματειῶν, 427-469 (e cod. Barocc. 50; one of the sources of this treatise was the section on ἰῶτα ἀνεκφώνητον of Orus' Περὶ ὀρθογραφίας); Λέξεις κατὰ στοιχεῖον τῶν ὠδῶν (sic), 470-473; Λέξεις τῶν κανόνων, 473-475; Λέξεις ἐκ τοῦ Θεολόγου, 475-487; Ἐκ τοῦ ἁγίου Θαλλελαίου, 487; Untitled glossary, 488-500; Index glossarum, 501-522; vol. 4 (1837) pp. 170-218 Excerpta varia: Anonym. Grammaticalia Excerpt. e Cod. Barocc. 194 fol. 109. r; pp. 308-39 Excerpta varia. Exc. e Cod. Mus. Brit. Add. 5118; pp. 411-25 Cod. Barocc. 116. Chart. Saec. XIV. Excerpt. e Schol. Choerobosc. in Theodos. Can. f. 63
- vol. 4 (Oxford 1841), pp. 239-244 Κανόνες καθολικοὶ περὶ συντάξεως by Timothy of Gaza (a Greek grammarian active in the reign of Anastasius, i.e. 491-518).
- Catenae Graecorum Patrum in Novum Testamentum vol. 1-8, available at Google Books and Internet Archive