John Canning, Jr.
|John A. Canning, Jr.|
|Alma mater||Denison University
Duke University School of Law
|Occupation||Private equity investor|
|Employer||Madison Dearborn Partners|
|Known for||Founder of Madison Dearborn Partners, Co-owner of Milwaukee Brewers, Potential buyer of Chicago Cubs|
John A. Canning, Jr. is a private equity investor and sports executive. He is the founder and chairman of Madison Dearborn Partners, the large Chicago-based private equity firm. He has recently been linked to discussions about the potential sale of the Chicago Cubs.
Canning was an early investor in private equity in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Canning founded Madison Dearborn Partners in 1992. Since then the firm has raised over $14 billion of investor commitments. Prior to founding Madison Dearborn, Canning and his team had previously made private equity investments for First Chicago Bank. Canning joined First Chicago in 1968 and spent 24 years with the bank serving as Executive Vice President of The First National Bank of Chicago and later as President of First Chicago Venture Capital, the predecessor of Madison Dearborn.
Canning currently serves on the Boards of Directors of
- Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Club (Canning is a minority owner)
- Exelon Corporation
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Children’s Inner City Educational Fund
- The Economic Club of Chicago
- Corning Incorporated
Canning currently serves on the Boards of Trustees of:
- Northwestern University
- Field Museum of Natural History
- Museum of Science and Industry
- Big Shoulders Fund
Canning also serves as a commissioner of the Irish Pension Reserve Fund, a trustee and chairman of The Chicago Community Trust as well as a director and chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- COMPANY NEWS; Fund Venture Begun in Chicago (New York Times, 1992)
- Exelon Appoints John A. Canning Jr. to Board of Directors. Reuters, Aug 1, 2008
- Corning Incorporated Board of Directors. Corning Inc., Mar 13, 2013
- John A. Canning, Jr. Appointed to Chicago Fed Board
- After the gold rush. Crain's Chicago Business, December 15, 2003
- Madison Dearborn Partners > Principals (company website)