John C. Fremont Branch Library, Los Angeles
John C. Fremont Branch
Fremont Branch, 2008
|Location:||6121 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, California
|Architectural style:||Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals, Mediterranean Revival|
|MPS:||Los Angeles Branch Library System TR|
|NRHP Reference#:||87001009 |
|Added to NRHP:||May 19, 1987|
|Designated LAHCM:||June 27, 1986|
John C. Fremont Branch Library is a branch library of the Los Angeles Public Library in Los Angeles, California. It is adjacent to the Hancock Park district. It was built in 1927 based on a Mediterranean Revival design by architect Merl L. Barker.
In 1987, the Fremont Branch and several other branch libraries in Los Angeles were added to the National Register of Historic Places as part of a thematic group submission. The application noted that the branch libraries had been constructed in a variety of period revival styles to house the initial branch library system of the City of Los Angeles.
The current facility began construction on December 26, 1926 and was completed in May 1927. The library opened on June 1, 1927. The library closed in 1990 because its masonry was not reinforced and the building was not in compliance with seismic safety codes. The library operated from a temporary location until February 1996. The library re-opened in its current location on March 26, 1996. The in-compliance library gained air conditioning, a meeting room, a small parking lot, wiring for computer and internet usage, and access for disabled persons.
See also↑Jump back a section
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15.
- "HANCOCK PARK Historic Library Getting Shored Up." Los Angeles Times. April 14, 1994. Westside Part J Zones Desk Page 10. Retrieved on March 27, 2010.
- "Hancock Park's Boundaries." Hancock Park Homeowners Association. Retrieved on March 23, 2010.
- The Los Angeles Branch Library System TR Multiple Property Submission nomination explains 22 branch libraries but one, the University Branch, appears not to have been listed.
- "A Brief John C. Fremont Branch Library History." Los Angeles Public Library. Retrieved on March 27, 2010.
- John C. Fremont Branch Library History, 1949-1959
- Grand opening celebration for the John C. Fremont Branch, Mar. 25, 1996
- 60th anniversary celebration, John C. Fremont branch, 1987