Jeannie Cho Lee
|Jeannie Cho Lee|
Jeannie Cho Lee
|Occupation||Wine critic, journalist, educator and consultant|
|Notable work(s)||Asian Palate, Mastering Wine for the Asian Palate|
Jeannie Cho Lee, is a Hong Kong-based, South Korean wine critic, author, journalist, consultant, wine educator and Master of Wine, the first ethnic Asian to achieve this accreditation. She is 26th on Decanter's Power List 2011, a biennial who's who of the most influential personalities in the wine's world.
Jeannie Cho Lee was born in Seoul, Korea and shortly thereafter moved to the United States where she later received her undergraduate degree from Smith College and a Masters in public policy from Harvard University. Since 1994, Lee has been based in Hong Kong initially pursuing a career in business journalism in Asia, writing for publications such as Asia Inc.., Far Eastern Economic Review and The Asset to which she remains a Contributing Editor. She has contributed to international wine publications such as Wine Spectator, The World of Fine Wine, Wine and Dine, Wine Business International and La Revue du vin de France, and is since November 2010 contributing editor Asia of Decanter. She is also the Co-Chair of Decanter Asia Wine Awards, a sister competition to the Decanter World Wine Awards launched in 2004.
Lee is a frequent judge at international wine competitions such as the International Wine Challenge, Decanter World Wine Awards, Royal Adelaide Wine Show, Mundus Vini and Wines of the Pacific Rim. She has also been teaching Wine and Spirit Education Trust courses since 2004 and in 2008 helped establish The Fine Wine School in Hong Kong. In 2009, she received Vinitaly's International Award, and also became a wine consultant to Singapore Airlines and Galaxy Macau.
Lee's first book, Asian Palate was launched in November 2009. In February 2010, at the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards, Asian Palate was awarded the 'Best Food and Wine Pairing Book in the World'. In June 2011, at the International Association of Culinary Professionals Cookbook Awards 2011, Asian Palate won under the category of 'Wine, Beer or Spirits' category Same month, Asian Palate won under the category of 'Wines and Gastronomy' category at the 2011 OIV Awards. Lee launched her website AsianPalate.com in May 2010.
Since August 2010, Jeannie Cho Lee, along with the diving champion Guo Jingjing and principal dancer Yuan Yuan Tan, has represented Estee Lauder in a campaign for Advanced Night Repair eye serum "No. 1 Eye Repair in the Eyes of No. 1".
- mastersofwine.org, Masters of Wine, Jeannie Cho Lee profile
- Pilling, David, Financial Times (March 05, 2010). Asia’s first Master of Wine
- Robinson, Jancis, JancisRobinson.com (September 6, 2008) Asia's first Master of Wine
- Weekes, Claire, Harpers Wine & Spirit (November 10, 2008). New Masters of Wine receive IMW awards
- Nerenberg, Jenara, Fast Company (July 29, 2010). Jeannie Cho Lee Is the Asian Wine Market's Own Julia Child
- Yeh, Ken, Christie's Features (May 10, 2010). The Asian Palate: An Interview with Jeannie Cho Lee
- Decanter.com (May 26, 2011). Decanter's Power List 2011
- Le-Min, Lim, Bloomberg.com (April 28, 2010). Harvard Woman Defies Skeptics as Wine Master
- Decanter.com (November 2, 2010). Jeannie Cho Lee MW joins Decanter as contributing editor Asia
- Decanter.com (March 21, 2012). Decanter Asia Wine Awards to launch in May
- Abbott, John, Decanter.com (26/04/2010). Judges defy delays to kick off DWWA judging week
- Verona, Vinitaly International Wine & Spirits Exhibition (31/3/2009) Castello Banfi, Jeannie Cho Lee and Lidia Bastianich Vinitaly International Awards 2009
- ASIA Travel Tip.com (13/5/2009) Singapore Airlines adds Master of Wine - Jeannie Cho Lee - to Wine Panel
- Singapore Airlines.com (12/3/2009) New Wine Consultant Adds Asian Flair To Singapore Airlines' Wine Panel
- Luxury Hospitality Daily (3/3/2011) Leading wine expert Jeannie Cho Lee appointed as Galaxy Macau™’s Master of Wine (China)
- asianpalate.com Christine Salins Reviews Asian Palate (03/04/2010)
- cookbookfair.com Cookbook Fair.com (20/02/2010)
- IACP: IACP Announces 2011 Award Winners
- OIV: OIV announces 2011 Award Winners
- Lechmere, Adam, Decanter.com (May 28, 2010). Jeannie Cho Lee launches major website
- Asia Tatler: Estee Lauder Night Repair Debut Luncheon
- Ng, Maureen, inMagazine The secret in her eyes – An interview with Jeannie Cho Lee
- asianpalate.com Estee Lauder advertisement ANR Eye Repair Serum line