Jai Prakash Narayan All India Institute of Medical Sciences
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna|
|Endowment||11.24 billion (US$210 million) per annum|
|President||Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Government of India|
|Director||Girish Kumar Singh|
|Undergraduates||50 per year|
|Location||Patna, Bihar, India
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna (AIIMS Patna) is a medical college and medical research public university based in Patna, Bihar, India. The Institute will operate autonomously under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (India).Though the foundation stone for the 350-crore project (2004 estimate) was laid in 2004 during Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s tenure, the project was delayed owing to the power shift at the Centre and its cost has escalated from 335 crore (US$61 million) to 8.5 billion (US$160 million).The JPNAIIMS, Patna, is under construction for over eight years. Its foundation was laid by the then vice-president, Bhairon Singh Shekhawat, on 3 January 2004. In 2004,Central government decided to set up new AIIMS at Rishikesh, Bhopal, Patna, Jodhpur, Bhubaneswar and Raipur
AIIMS Patna will be spread over 134 acre comprising residential campus on 34 acre and the main campus on 100 acres. The 100-acre health hub, coming up at Walmi village near Phulwari Sharif, Patna is expected to start operation by end-2012 after series of observations by Patna High Court.
Patna High Court's directives on AIIMS Patna
In April 2012, the Patna High Court constituted a three-member core committee comprising representatives from the Centre, the state and the AIIMS to speed up construction work of the super-specialty hospital.
Shashi Bhushan, the financial advisor to AIIMS Patna had said: “The medical college is expected to start functioning from July this year for which appointment of professors is on.”,but now the college will start in September 2012 and hospital by 2013. AIIMS Patna would be governed by the AIIMS Act till the Union government made a separate law for the upcoming hospital.The Patna high court on 18 July issued a directive that the doctors of trauma and emergency wards of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna (AIIMS Patna) join at Guru Gobind Singh Hospital, Patna City, by 25 July 2012.The court also directed the Union government to ensure that doctors of seven super speciality departments of AIIMS Patna are appointed and join their duty by 25 August. These departments include gastroenterology, cardiology, nephrology, pathology and radiology. Patna high court on 1 August 2012 ordered notional deputation of the Patna DM Sanjay Kumar Singh to the upcoming hospital as its deputy director/joint director/director of JPN AIIMS,till the central government sends a deputy director or joint director or director to take this responsibility. The DM will now on oversee the affairs related to the AIIMS Patna and its development as a super speciality hospital.Bihar government had released a cheque for 53.4 million to the Guru Govind Singh Hospital at Patna City for development of infrastructure for the emergency ward and trauma centre of AIIMS Patna. The Patna High court directed the DM on 31 August 2012, to hold a meeting with the AIIMS Patna director and superintendent of Guru Gobind Singh Hospital(GGSH),Patna City, to set modalities of super speciality treatment at the hospital. This arrangement will continue till the AIIMS Patna is completed.Patna High Court ordered on 27 September 2012,to start round-the-clock construction of the AIIMS Patna hospital building by deploying more workers and other resources to ensure its early completion.Patna High Court on 29 January 2013 directed the Bihar government to constitute a team of auditors to audit the utilization of Rs1.50 billion by M/s B L Kashyap and Company for the construction of the hospital building of AIIMS Patna.
AIIMS at Jodhpur started the academic session 2012–13 from 17 September 2012, Bhopal (18 September 2012), Rishikesh (20 September), Bhubaneswar (21 September), Raipur (24 September) and Patna(25 September 2012).AIIMS New Delhi, has been mentoring the two new AIIMS in Patna and Bhubaneswar, PGI Chandigarh has been mentoring AIIMS coming up in Rishikesh and Jodhpur, while JIPMER Puducherry has been overseeing the AIIMS in Bhopal and Raipur. Class of 2012 started in AIIMS Patna on 25 September 2012 with around 50 medical students had been admitted in AIIMS Patna. To start with,AIIMS Patna would impart training in four subjects – anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and community medicine.
All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2012
The All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2012,was introduced in the Lok Sabha on 27 August 2012. This bill will also replace a recent Ordinance which allowed the six AIIMS—like institutes to become operational from September 2012.Lok Sabha passed the AIIMS (Amendment) Bill, 2012 on 30 August 2012. The proposed measure will help the Centre change the status of the six new AIIMS registered under the Indian Societies Registration Act to be autonomous body corporate on the lines of the existing AIIMS in Delhi.AIIMS(Amendment) Bill,2012 was introduced in Rajya Sabha on 3 September 2012.Rajya Sabha passed the AIIMS (Amendment) Bill, 2012 on 4 September 2012.
See also↑Jump back a section
- Nitish Kumar inspects progress work of Jaya Prakash Narayan All India Institute of Medical Science
- Raj, Anand (20 November 2011). "AIIMS course to begin in July 12". The Telegraph (Calcutta, India).
- "Bihar minister requests Centre to start Patna's JPNAIIMS session from September". The Times Of India. 2 August 2012.
- HC forms panel for earlycompletion of JPNAIIMS
- AIIMS progress upsets Azad
- Six NRIs in first batch of faculty for health hub- 41 medical teachers selected for JPNAIIMS; Union ministry to notify names soon
- "MBBS classes begin at AIIMS Patna". Businees standard (Patna, India). 25 September 2012.
- Study, health cradles plod on slo-mo track- Bottlenecks in IIT, CUB & JPNAIIMS projects prevent relief to students and patients
- City doctor to head Raipur AIIMS
- 'Join Guru Gobind hospital by July 25'
- Patna DM to head JPNAIIMS
- "Patna HC orders round-the-clock work on Jai Prakash Narayan All India Institute of Medical Sciences". The Times Of India. 27 September 2012.
- "Audit expenses of Rs 150 crore on Jaya Prakash Narayan AIIMS, Patna: HC". The Times Of India. 29 January 2013.
- "Six AIIMS-like institutes to start operation by mid-Sept". Daily pioneer. 4 September 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "AIIMS docs land top job but have nowhere to go". The Times of India. 20 September 2011. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- Raj, Anand (31 August 2012). "Free GGSH from encroachment: HC". The Times of India (New Delhi, India).
- "Jai Prakash Naryan All India Institute of Medical Sciences starts its first MBBS batch". TimesofIndia. 26 September 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- Raj, Anand (27 August 2012). "Bill on AIIMS-like institutes introduced in Lok Sabha". The Hindu (New Delhi, India).
- Raj, Anand (30 August 2012). "Lok Sabha nod to AIIMS bill". The Economic times (New Delhi, India).
- "AIIMS bill moved in Rajya Sabha amid uproar". Business Standard. 3 September 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Govt fails to get AIIMS Bill passed in Par amid din". IBNLive.com. 3 September 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Par nod to AIIMS Bill amid uproar". Business Standard. 4 September 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Gov Bill passed in Par amid din". indianexpress.com. 4 September 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.