J. Breckenridge Ellis
J. Breckenridge Ellis was a prolific writer, having written 26 works (primarily historical romances) that have appeared in book form besides numerous serials of book length which have been published by national magazines.
His novel, Fran, was on the best seller list in America, and made into a movie. Several of his works were made into motion pictures and stage plays. He also served as president of the Missouri Writers' Guild.
Ellis' writing is of the Stanley Weyman school. His romances were pithy and understated, artfully avoiding the affectations and pretensions of many of his contemporaries.
- Garcilaso (1901)
- The Holland Wolves (1902)
- Stork's Nest (1905)
- Fran (1912)
- Lahoma (1913)
- The Picture on the Wall
- Little Fiddler of the Ozarks
Films based on novels
- Emmy of Stork's Nest (based on Stork's Nest) (1917)
- The Love Hunger (based on Fran) (1919)
- Lahoma (1920)
- Cinderella of the Hills (based on Little Fiddler of the Ozarks) (1921)
- The Shadow on the Wall (based on The Picture on the Wall) (1925)
- The Clinton County Historical Society webpage includes a picture of his home
- Works by J. Breckenridge Ellis at Project Gutenberg