International Bear Association
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2010)|
The International Association for Bear Research and Management (IBA), also known as the International Bear Association, is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization open to professional biologists, wildlife managers and others dedicated to the conservation of the world’s eight bear species.
With over 550 members from some 50 countries, the organization supports the scientific management of bears through research and distribution of information and sponsors international conferences on all aspects of bear biology, ecology and management. Many of the conference papers are published as peer-reviewed scientific papers in the journal Ursus, the IBA's scientific journal. Prior to forming the journal, early proceedings were published under "Bears - Their Biology and management" then later "International Conference on Bear Research and Management".
The IBA has an integral relationship with the Bear Specialist Group (BSG), of the World Conservation Union (IUCN) and its Species Survival Commission. The two organizations publish the quarterly newsletter, International Bear News. Ursus is the scientific journal published by the organization. Ranking members of the organization (e.g., council members, etc.) and affiliates, including representatives from the Polar Bear Specialist group (WCN), and BSG members include some of the foremost experts on bears in the world.
The IBA hosts conferences at least twice every three years. For updated information on the next conference, follow the link below to IBA Conferences and Workshops. The general conference schedule is one in North America every 3 years and one in Eurasia every three years, but additional conferences may be planned if requested and hosts volunteer. See the external links below for the current conference schedule.
International Conference on Bear Research and Management
- 22nd International Conference - September 15-21, 2013 - Provo, Utah, USA.
- 21st International Conference - November 26-30, 2012 - New Delhi, India.
- 20th International Conference - July 17-23, 2011 - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- 19th International Conference - May 18-22, 2010 - Tbilisi, Georgia Republic.
- 18th International Conference - November 4-10 2007 - Monterrey, Mexico.
- 17th International Conference - October 2-6, 2006 - Nagano, Japan.
- 16th International Conference - September 27 - October 1, 2005 - Riva del Garda, Italy,
- 15th International Conference - February, 2004 - San Diego, California, USA.
- 14th International Conference - August, 2002 - Steinkjer, Norway.
- 13th International Conference - May, 2001 - Jackson, Wyoming, USA.
- 12th International Conference - October, 1999 - Brasov, Romania (published 2001 as Ursus 12, now annual journal).
- 11th International Conference #2 - April 1998 - Gatlinburg, Tennessee, USA (selected papers published 1999 as Ursus 11).
- 11th International Conference #1 - September, 1997 - Graz, Austria (selected papers published 1999 as Ursus 11).
- 10th International Conference #2 - September 1995 - Mora, Sweden (selected papers published 1998 as Ursus 10).
- 10th International Conference #1 - July 1995 - Fairbanks, Alaska, USA (selected papers published 1998 as Ursus 10).
- 9th International Conference #2 - October, 1992 - Grenoble, France (selected papers published 1994 as Ursus 9).
- 9th International Conference #1 - February, 1992 - Missoula, Montana, USA (no proceedings, selected papers published as Ursus 9).
- 8th International Conference - February, 1990 - Victoria, British Columbia (proceedings published 1990).
- 7th International Conference #2 - March, 1986 - Plitvice Lakes, Yugoslavia (proceedings published 1987).
- 7th International Conference #1 - February, 1986 - Williamsburg, Virginia, USA.
- 6th International Conference - February, 1983 - Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA (proceedings published 1986).
- 5th International Conference - February, 1980 - Madison, Wisconsin, USA (proceedings published 1983).
- 4th International Conference - February, 1977 - Kalispell, Montana, USA (proceedings published 1980).
- 3rd International Conference - June, 1974 Binghamton, New York, USA and Moscow, USSR (proceedings published 1976).
- 2nd International Conference - November, 1970 - Calgary, Alberta, Canada (proceedings published 1972).
- 1st Bear Workshop - August, 1968 - Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada.