|Company / developer||Binary Emotions|
|Latest stable release||9.0
June 2, 2013
|License||Linux: GNU GPL
Adobe Flash player: Proprietary
Instant WebKiosk is a suite of free, live, browser-only (only browser interface will show up) operating systems based on Debian Linux and designed for use in web kiosks, multi-user web workstations (cafés, offices, schools, hotels) and digital signage deployments, or even for personal secure and private Internet browsing purposes.
Instant WebKiosk operating systems support both wired (with DHCP or static IP) and wireless networks in order to access the Internet. Network parameters, as well as any other system configuration, are set via their web interface.
Instant WebKiosk/EDS, Easy Digital Signage, is designed for digital signage installations: it displays a full-screen view with locked navigation, restricted to the page specified. There is no way to escape that view but rebooting the machine. After the reset, the operating system defaults to original values except for persistent settings: network, localization, video, sound and digital-signage related configurations persist across reboots.
Instant WebKiosk/UB, Unrestricted Browsing, is designed for web kiosks and multi-user web workstations: it is a fully customizable operating system for Internet browsing purposes, which protects privacy; users can change its settings but after a reset the operating system defaults to original values, except for persistent settings.
It makes use of Google Chromium as default Internet browser and it features audio support, video files support, Adobe Flash support, PDF and images viewing and office files support; it features internationalization including CJ input methods and printing capabilities.
From Version 6.0, Instant WebKiosk/UB has signed a partnership with Duck Duck Go search engine.
Instant WebKiosk/YTRC, YouTube Remote Controller: once booted, the operating system will display a YouTube full-screen view which can be remote controlled by any smartphone or PC in the local network.
Instant Webkiosk operating systems boot from USB flash devices but settings persistence is assured even for non USB devices, allowing a hard drive installation.
Derived operating systems
- "A Live Distro For Secure Browsing". Muktware. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- "Instant WebKiosk, la distro per il web". EasyWebCom. Retrieved 2012-08-29.
- "YouTube Remote Controller OS nuova distribuzione browser-only dedicata a YouTube". lffl. Retrieved 2013-05-04.
- "Instant WebKiosk Raspberry Pi". Adafruit Industries electronics. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Installing Instant WebKiosk/EDS on Raspberry Pi". Wickham Blog. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "La nuova distribuzione per rendere sicura la navigazione internet da parte dei bambini". Lffl. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "Un projet basé sur Debian ayant pour but d'offrir un internet plus sûr à vos bambins". La vache libre. Retrieved 2012-10-12.