Information Systems Research in Scandinavia
The IRIS (Information Systems Research in Scandinavia) Association is a non-profit organization aiming to promote research and research education in the use, development and management of information systems in Scandinavia, and making that research known in the international research community and among practitioners. The IRIS association publishes the Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems (SJIS) and holds the IRIS Conference as well as the Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems Conference (SCIS). Its current president is Judith Molka-Danielsen (2011-2013).
In 1978 the IRIS started holding annual conferences and is the oldest consecutive IS conference in the world. The conference is organized as an annual working seminar for Scandinavian researchers and PhD students. After its first few meetings in Finland, the locations now alternate between different Scandinavian countries. Among the subjects discussed at the IRIS conferences is Information and Communications Technology, Business Process Management and Participatory Design. In 2005 IRIS had a Steering Committee the chairman of which was Jan Pries-Heje.
In 2006 Judith Molka-Danielsen, and her associates published a paper that identified the most prolific authors who had successfully submitted papers to IRIS. The top ten researchers were: Lars Mathiassen, Markku Nurminen, Pertti Järvinen, Carsten Sørensen, Per Flensburg, Karl Heinz Kautz, Peter Axel Nielsen, Lars Svensson, Urban Nuldén, and Ole Hanseth. The last conference (IRIS34) took place in August 2011 at the University of Turku with research focused on the subject "ICT of Culture - Culture of ICT".
Past Conference Locations
- 2012: IRIS35 Sigtuna, Sweden
- 2011: IRIS34 Turku, Finland
- 2010: IRIS33 Comwell Rebild Bakker, Denmark
- 2009: IRIS32 Molde, Norway
- 2008: IRIS31 Åre, Sweden
- 2007: IRIS30 Tampere, Finland
- 2006: IRIS29 Helsingør, Denmark
- 2005: IRIS28 Kristiansand, Norway
- 2004: IRIS27 Falkenberg, Sweden
- 2003: IRIS26 Porvoo, Finland
- 2002: IRIS25 Bautahöj, Denmark
- 2001: IRIS24 Bergen, Norway
- 2000: IRIS23 Uddevalla, Sweden
- 1999: IRIS22 Keuruu, Finland
- 1998: IRIS21 Sæby, Denmark
- 1997: IRIS20 Hankø, Norway
- 1996: IRIS19 Lökeberg, Sweden
- 1995: IRIS18 Gjern, Denmark
- 1994: IRIS17 Syöte, Finland
- 1993: IRIS16 Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1992: IRIS15 Larkollen, Norway
- 1991: IRIS14 Umeå-Lövånger, Sweden
- 1990: IRIS13 Turku, Finland
- 1989: IRIS12 Skagen, Denmark
- 1988: IRIS11 Røros, Norway
- 1987: IRIS10 Tampere, Finland
- 1986: IRIS9 Lund, Sweden
- 1985: IRIS8 Århus, Denmark
- 1984: IRIS7 Helsinki, Finland
- 1983: IRIS6 Øystese, Norway
- 1982: IRIS5 Stockholm, Sweden
- 1981: IRIS4 Oulu, Finland
- 1980: IRIS3 Saarijärvi, Finland
- 1979: IRIS2 Dragsfjärd, Finland
- 1978: IRIS1 Tampere, Finland
- Currie, Wendy & Galliers, Robert (1999), Rethinking management information systems: an interdisciplinary perspective, Oxford University Press US, p. 6, "Juhani Iivari and Kalle Lyytinen present a comprehensive analysis of information systems research in Scandinavia. These writers argue that the Scandinavian contribution to the IS field has been significant."
- "Executive Board for the IRIS Association:". http://iris.cs.aau.dk: IRIS. Retrieved 8 June 2011. "President: Jesper Simonsen, Roskilde University, Denmark"
- "Previous IRIS Conferences". http://iris.cs.aau.dk: IRIS. Retrieved 8 June 2011. "1978: IRIS1 Tampere, Finland"
- Flensburg, Per (2003), Against System – Towards Content, Turku, Finnland: Turku Centre for Computer Science, p. 187, "Business processes, fetched from a repository, will in the network society be spread over a lot of small and independent actors."
- Jacko, Julie A. (2009), Human-Computer Interaction: Development Process, Reeves & Turner, p. 167, "The annual IRIS conference series, often include sessions and individual contributions on participatory topics."
- Currie, Wendy (2005), Business agility and information technology diffusion: IFIP TC8 WG 8.6 international working conference, May 8–11, 2005, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A., Springer, p. 10, "Jan Pries-Heje... is the chairman of the Information Systems Research in Scandinavia (IRIS) Steering Committee."
- Molka-Danielsen, Judith; Trier, Matthias; Shlyk, Vadim; Bobrik, Annette & Nurminen, Markku I. (2006), IRIS (1978-2006)Historical Reflection through Visual Analysis, IRIS, p. 13, CiteSeerX: 10.1.1.78.8864, "Table 4 shows the top ten authors that have contributed the most articles to IRIS. We will display the egocentric network of some of these top authors to give n impression of the interconnection of researchers that they have supported."
- "The 34th IRIS Conference:". http://scandinavian-iris.org/2011/: University of Turku. Retrieved 10 June 2011. "How do we integrate information systems to face this very fast moving new “culture of ICT”?"
- "Welcome to the IRIS Association". http://iris.cs.aau.dk: IRIS. Retrieved 8 June 2011. "If you are a researcher or practitioner in the field of information systems interested in your own development and in the building of knowledge in organizations and society - you are most welcome to become a member of IRIS Association."