Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology
|Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology|
|Location||Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu|
The Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology (IICPT) is a pioneer Educational and R&D Institution under the Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoPFI). The IICPT is located on a 15 acre campus located at a distance of 2 km from Thanjavur New Bustand.
The Institute was organized in 1967 as R&D laboratory in the Modern Rice Mill Complex of Thanjavur Co-operative Marketing Federation (TCMF) at Thiruvarur and aimed at preserving high moisture paddy, since the harvest season in Thanjavur District coincided with the end of the monsoon season.
In 1972, the institute was upgraded and named the Paddy Processing Research Centre (PPRC). At the time of upgrading the mandates of the institute were also changed and the research focussed on identifying post harvest processing and preservation technology for paddy. PPRC then moved into its current location in Thanjavur
Considering the vital importance of strengthening R&D efforts in the post harvest processing of foods, MoPFI strengthened and upgraded the PPRC as a National Level Institute. In February 2008 the institute was upgraded as a National Institute and renamed as the Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology.
IICPT has a total of 6 departments catering to the needs of students and researchers. 
- Department of Food Products Development
- Department of Food Quality and Testing
- Department of Food Microbiology
- Department of Food Engineering
- Department of Academics and Human Resource Development
- Department of Technology Dissemination
Research in the Institute is facilitated by laboratories and facilities, these include :
- Food Product Development Lab
- Food Microbiology Lab
- Food Analysis Lab (NABL Accredited)
- Food Packaging and Storage Lab
- Food Processing and Incubation Centre
- Image Processing Lab
- Soft X-ray Laboratory
- Acoustics Resonance Laboratory
- Modern Bakery Unit
- Teaching Labs
Teaching and courses
As part of creating man power for food processing sector IICPT has been offering B.Tech., M.Tech. and Ph.D. programs in food process engineering from 2009-10 academic year with an intake of 40 B.Tech., 10 M.Tech. and 5 Ph.D. students each year.
IICPT has collaborated and signed MOUs with many international institutions across India and the World to facilitate a collaborative programme of research, training, curriculum, institutional development, information dissemination, and exchange of faculty, students and staff. The Institute has signed MoUs with the following International and National Institutions so far.
- University of Manitoba, Canada
- University of Nebraska, USA
- University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- Colorado State University, USA
- Illinois Institute of Technology, USA
- Oklahoma State University, USA
- McGill University, Canada
- Kansas State University, USA
- Saskatoon Pulse Growers Association, Canada
- Tamil Nadu Veterinary & Animal Sciences University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Marathwada Agricultural University, Parbhani, Maharastra
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Raichur, Karnataka
- Thassim Beevi Abdul Kader College for Women, Kilakari, Tamil Nadu
- PRIST University, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
- Bharathidasan University, Tamil Nadu
- Gandhigram Rural University, Tamil Nadu
- "About us". Website. IICPT, Thanjavur. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "About Us". Website. IICPT, Thanjavur. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Academic Prospectus". Website. IICPT,dsfsfsfefsfsfsfsefsfsfsfsfsfs Thanjavur. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Collaborations". Website. IICPT, Thanjavur. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Ministry of food processing forges bilateral co-operation ties with developed nations". ToI Website. Times of India. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
|This Indian school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|