I Can't Live Without You
|"I Can't Live Without You"|
|Single by Al Walser|
|Recorded||September 21, 2012|
|Genre||Electronic dance, synthpop|
|Label||Cut the Bull Entertainment|
|Writer(s)||Al Walser, Paul Sissons|
"I Can't Live Without You" is a song by Liechtenstein producer Al Walser.
The song's nomination for a Grammy Award caused controversy. Philip Sherburne of Spin noted a lack of notability of Walser compared to Avicii, Calvin Harris, Skrillex, and Swedish House Mafia, as they were also nominated for the same award, writing that the song's "clunky rock/trance fusion and low-budget video make Rebecca Black's 'Friday' sound and look cutting-edge in comparison". Bill Freimuth, the vice president of the Recording Academy – which is responsible for the Grammy Awards – told MTV Walser "was a very active marketer of his work, and got his music out to lots and lots of our voting membership, and they chose to vote for it." He noted that ballot is audited by Deloitte and said "they found nothing really anomalous or wrong with the votes surrounding this nomination."
Speculation surrounding the nomination includes Walser's membership to the Recording Academy.Walser stated his position as a voter "was only helpful to the extent that I had access to the other voters, and they could see what I was doing on a regular basis".Billboard compared the incident to Linda Chorney, who gained a Grammy Award nomination the previous year through a similar tactic.
- Digital download
- "I Can't Live Without You " – 3:19
- "I Can't Live Without You " – 3:15
- "I Can't Live Without You " – 3:29
- Sherburne, Philip (December 6, 2012). "Who the Hell Is Al Walser and How Did He Get an EDM Grammy Nomination?". Spin. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Montgomery, James (December 10, 2012). "Exclusive: Al Walser Won't Be Stripped Of His Grammy Nom". MTV. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Carreon, Mary (December 7, 2012). "Al Walser: Our Interview With a Beguiling Grammy Nominee". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "How Did Al Walser Score a Grammy Nomination?". Billboard. December 7, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "I Can't Live Without You - Single by Al Walser". iTunes Store. Retrieved December 10, 2012.