April 26, 1982 |
|Alma mater||Universitas Negeri Yogyakarta|
Herlinatiens (born Herlina Tien Suhesti; Ngawi, Indonesia April 26, 1982) is an author from Indonesia.
Herlinatiens' first novel, Garis Tepi Seorang Lesbian, is about a lesbian who is discriminated against by her culture and family. The book's first run sold out quickly and the publisher started a second run two weeks later. The novel made Herlinatiens a cult leader among young women, and a champion of the gay and lesbian community. The novel is considered the "coming out" for Indonesian writings about gays and lesbians. The book caused strong controversy in Indonesia and provided thought for scholarly research. Her second book, Dejavu, Sayap yang Pecah, also became a bestseller.
Currently, she is part of the staff and research team for Yayasan Umar Kayam, a non-profit foundation for the culture and arts in Indonesia. She lives in Yogyakarta and is working toward her master's degree in cultural studies at Sanata Dharma University.
Garis Tepi Seorang Lesbian
The book, Margins of a Lesbian in English, begins with Ashmora Paria, an Indonesian woman with three children. She was married and living in Paris, France with her female partner, Ri. Paria and Ri have become estranged and Paria has moved back to Indonesia at the start of the book. Paria meets Davia, a female student who has had relations with men. At first Paria resists her feelings for Davia, but her loneliness is too strong and she starts a relationship with Devia. Paria also has correspondence via letters with two other people, Gita, a housewife and Rafael, a catholic priest. The book deals with her struggle with isolationism, rumors and ultimately being marginalized. She vents her anger and feeling through her letters to Gita and Rafael.
|2003||Garis Tepi Seorang Lesbian||ISBN 978-979-9341-68-6||Galangpress Group|
|2004||Dejavu, Sayap yang Pecah||ISBN 978-979-3627-23-6||Galangpress Group|
|2004||Jilbab Britney Spears||ISBN 978-979-98844-0-4||Pustaka Anggrek|
|2005||Sajak Cinta Yang Pertama||ISBN 978-979-3695-45-7||Bayumedia|
|2005||Malam Untuk Soe Hok Gie||ISBN 978-979-3627-61-8||Galangpress Group|
|2005||Rebonding||ISBN 978-979-3627-45-8||Galangpress Group|
|2005||Broken Heart, Psikopop Teen Guide||ISBN 978-979-3627-95-3||Galangpress Group|
|2006||Koella, Bersamamu dan Terluka||ISBN 978-979-99007-8-4||Pinus|
|2006||Sebuah Cinta yang Menangis||ISBN 978-979-99007-7-7||Pinus|
|2010||Menagerie 7: People Like Us||ISBN 978-979-8083-74-7||Lontar Foundation|
|2012||Ashmora Paria||ISBN 978-602-2550-044||DIVA Press|
|2012||Koella, Bersamamu dan Terluka||ISBN 978-6027-6413-96||DIVA Press|
|2012||Sebuah Cinta Yang Menangis||ISBN 978-6027-6403-06||DIVA Press|
|2012||Maria Tsabat||ISBN 978-6027-6658-59||DIVA Press|
- "Writing at sexuality's margins". Inside Indonesia 76. December 2003. Retrieved June 22, 2011.
- "Author Herlina brings taboo issue out of the closet in debut novel". Jakarta Post. July 6, 2003. Retrieved June 22, 2011.
- Johan, Rizki Theodorus (2011). "Discovering the Others: Unearthing Homosexual Identity Construction in Selected Indonesia Contemporary Novels and Short Stories" (PDF). The Asian Conference on Literature & Librarianship; Official Conference Proceedings. International Academic Forum. pp. 196–206. http://iafor.org/LIBRASIA_PROCEEDINGS_2011.pdf. Retrieved June 24, 2011.
- Arimbi, Diah Ariani (2009). Reading contemporary Indonesian Muslim women writers. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Amsterdam University Press. ISBN 978-90-8964-089-5. Retrieved June 22, 2011.
- Soe Tjen Marching (2008). "Herlinatiens: between lesbianism, Islam and feminism". Inter-Asia Cultural Studies 9 (1): 7–26. doi:10.1080/14649370701789591. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- Vice Admira Firnaherera (2008). "Gender relations in the novel Garis Tepi Seorang Lesbian". SKRIPSI Literature Indonesia - Faculty of Letters, UM. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- "Portrait of Homosexuality in Film and Novel Indonesia: Tenebrous". Radio Netherlands Worldwide. November 5, 2009. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- Tracy L Wright Webster (2004), Beyong the 'Closet': The Voices Of Lesbian Women In Yogyakarta, Centre for Women’s Studies; State Institute of Islamic Studies
- "Chick-lit author unveils Sabrina's dream with charm, message". The Jakarta Post. November 20, 2005. Retrieved June 21, 2011.
- "Expert Staff and Researchers". Yayasan Umar Kayam. Retrieved June 26, 2011.