Health Management Associates (Florida company)
Health Management Associates (NYSE: HMA) is a for-profit corporation which operates hospitals and other health care facilities in the southern United States. It is headquartered at 5811 Pelican Bay Blvd. in North Naples, Florida. Its current CEO is Gary D. Newsome. Serving on the board of directors are William Schoen, Pascal Goldschmidt, Donald Kiernan, William Steere, Vicki O'Meara, Robert Knox, Kent Dauten and Randolph W. Westerfield.
Health Management Associates (HMA) is an organization that provides people, processes, capital, and subject matter expertise to hospitals and physician practices per their individual needs or governing requirements (1). Additional functions that HMA provides to hospitals and provider groups are to invest capital for renewal of hospital facilities, recruiting of physicians to expand community resources or hospital services, and promote the use standardized best practices throughout HMA facilities (1).
HMA provides its services to 66 hospitals for an approximate combined 10,300 licensed beds throughout 15 states (1). 40,500 individuals in clinical and support roles enables HMA the ability to provide 3.5 million patient interactions yearly throughout their organization (1).
List of hospitals
|This section requires expansion. (May 2012)|
- Charlotte Regional Medical Center - a 208-bed general hospital located in the City of Punta Gorda, Florida. The hospital is located at 809 East Marion Avenue.
- Paul B. Hall Regional Medical Center - Paintsville, Kentucky
- Santa Rosa Medical Center - a 129-bed general hospital located in the City of Milton, Florida. Santa Rosa Medical Center is the primary provider of hospital-based healthcare services and emergency medicine in Santa Rosa County, Florida. The main hospital campus is located at 6002 Berryhill Road.
- Sparks Health System - a 274 bed general medical and surgical hospital located in the city of Fort Smith, Arkansas. According to the City's 2011 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, Sparks Health System is the city's largest employer.
2012 Allegations of Medicare Fraud
In 2012, the CBS show, "60 Minutes," interviewed over 100 former employees of HMA. These former employees criticized HMA of implementing unethical for-profit measures. They said the HMA has created admit rates[clarification needed] that physicians must adhere to, or face termination. They said the rate was admitting more than 50% of patients aged 65 or over, regardless of medical need. Paul Meyers, HMA's former director of compliance and a 30-year FBI veteran, accused the chain of Medicare fraud. The hospital chain is being investigated by the US Justice Department, Kroft added, which has subpoenaed records pertaining to emergency-room management and a software program used by ER doctors.
- "Fortune 500 2010: Top 1000 American Companies". CNN.
- Jenks, Susan (13 October 2010). "Medical antitrust lawsuit lives on". Melbourne, Florida: Florida Today. pp. 1A.
- Company website
- Santa Rosa Medical Center HMA hospital located in Milton, Florida. The primary provider of hospital based healthcare services in Santa Rosa County.
|This United States corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|