12 June 1917|
|Died||24 October 2012(aged 95)|
|Years of service||1939–1945|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
Iron Cross 1st Class
Iron Cross 2nd Class
Eastern Front Medal 1941/42
Hans-Hermann Sturm (12 June 1917 – 24 October 2012) was an Hauptmann (captain) in the Wehrmacht during World War II who was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, which was awarded to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership by Nazi Germany.
World War II
During the Soviet breakthrough in March 1944, Sturm and his unit defended a strategic height designated as Hill 154. After destroying 9 T-34s, his unit counter-attacked and after house-to-house fighting managed to secure the town of Parliti Sat. For these actions, he was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 9 June 1944.
Sturm died 24 October 2012 in Schondorf.
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Eastern Front Medal (7 August 1942)
- General Assault Badge (2 October 1943)
- War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords (20 April 1943)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 9 June 1944 as Oberleutnant and chief of the 3./Sturmgeschütz-Brigade "Großdeutschland"
- Thomas and Wegmann 1985, p. 279.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 417.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz and Wegmann, Günter (1985). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Teil I: Sturmartillerie (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 3-7648-1447-0.
|This biographical article related to the German Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|