Hagley Community College
|Hagley Community College
Te Puna Wai O Waipapa
|Hagley Community College in 2008|
|510 Hagley Avenue, Christchurch
|Type||State co-ed Secondary (Years 9-15)|
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||336|
Unlike most New Zealand High Schools there is no uniform requirement and students may address their teachers on a first name basis. Over 92% of students leave with qualifications and a substantially greater proportion than the national average go on to graduate from a New Zealand University.[dead link]
The 1950s school hall has been transformed into a theatre, and former rooms of the school are now in use as a dance studio and drama studio. As well as the usual NCEA subjects, Hagley offers several specialised programmes, including Early childhood Education, Hagley Dance Company, Hagley Writers' Institute and Hagley School of Cuisine.
The school's main building was registered as a heritage building by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust on 26 November 1981 with registration number 1874 classified as C. With the change of the classification system, the building later became a Category II listing.
Former principal Brent Ingram lobbied the Ministry of Education in the 1990s to have the main building earthquake-strengthened. The double-brick building dating from 1924 was an earthquake risk, as reports first identified in the 1960s. When the Ministry disagreed, Ingram took the case first to the Ombudsman and then filed proceedings in the High Court before the Ministry gave in. About NZ$4.2m was spent on the strengthening work. The building came through the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake reasonably unharmed and, according to Ingram, "didn't lose a brick".
Brent Ingram was principal for 21 years until 2012. During his time, the roll increased from 900 to 2300 pupils.
- "Results that Count". Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "Hagley Community College". TKI (New Zealand Ministry of Education). Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Schools within Schools". Hagley Community College. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Principal's Message". Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "Providers >> NZQA - Hagley Community College". NZQA. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Cattell, John (1988). Historic Buildings of Canterbury and South Canterbury. Wellington: Government Printing Office Publishing. p. 62. ISBN 0-477-01329-5.
- "Christchurch West High School". Register of Historic Places. New Zealand Historic Places Trust. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- Law, Tina (25 July 2012). "Ministry 'bad boy' now on payroll". The Press (Christchurch). p. A9. Retrieved 26 July 2012.