Garw Valley Railway
|Garw Valley Railway|
|Terminus||Pontycymer and Brynmenyn|
|Connections||Network Rail Tondu Station|
|Built by||Great Western Railway|
|Owned by||Bridgend Valleys Railway Company Limited|
|Stations||5 (currently not operational)|
|Length||5 miles (8.0 km)|
|Closed||March 6, 1997|
|1988||Preservation group formed.|
|1994||Bridgend Valleys Railway Company incorporated.|
|March 23, 2001||National Assembly for Wales Transport & Works Act order secured.|
|Garw Valley Railway|
The Garw Valley Railway (formerly Bridgend Valleys Railway) is a standard gauge heritage railway located in South Wales. It is hoped that, in the near future, there will be brakevan rides between Pontycymer and Pant-y-Gog, a distance of about half-a-mile. The line was formerly used for freight and passenger services, and the track is still in place between Brynmenyn and Pontycymer.
From January to March 2008, contractors completed four projects that have been funded by the Garw Valley Regeneration Fund. These include:
- a concrete floor inside the existing engine shed at Pontycymer
- a second 43 metre storage siding.
- clearance of all vegetation and overgrowth, and the servicing or replacement of culverts
- a railway engineering company has been commissioned to report on a track and river under bridge survey
Following the lease of the Barry Island Railway in December 2008 by owners the Vale of Glamorgan Council to Cambrian Transport, the Vale of Glamorgan Railway Society relocated their headquarters and some stock to the Garw Valley. They are at present working with the Garw Valley Railway to reopen the line, and relocate the rest of their stock to the Garw.
Access to the Public
The GVR holds open days at Christmas, Easter and during the school summer holidays. Details of these are to be found on the website. For any visitors to the Pontycymer shed on Saturdays an accompanied tour can be organised.
List of Stations along the Garw Valley Line
GVR stations so far confirmed.
- Planet 0-4-0 Diesel hydraulic No 3890, built 1958
- Planet 0-4-0 Diesel hydraulic No 4006, built 1963
- Flat wagon
- BR "Shark" class Brake van No DB993721 fitted with ballast ploughs
- British Rail Class 108 BR Blue, former Barry Island Railway
- RSH 0-4-0ST 7705, built 1952 has now arrived at Pontycymer. The loco, owned by the 7705 locomotive group (a group of VGR/GVR members) is to be restored for use on the line. The locomotive was originally used at the Ely Paper Mills, Cardiff.
- Hunslett Austerity 0-6-0 Saddle Tank 68070.
- Map sources for Garw Valley Railway
- Official Garw Valley Railway website
- page at Wales Rails
- Cardiff and Ogmore Valley Railway
- Ogmore Valley Railways
- Port Talbot Railway and Docks Company
|This United Kingdom rail transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|