Gabriel Richard Catholic High School
|Gabriel Richard Catholic High School|
|15325 Pennsylvania Road
Riverview, Michigan, (Wayne County), 48193
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Principal||Mr. Joseph Whalen|
|Student to teacher ratio||15:1|
|Color(s)||Burgundy and White|
|Athletics conference||Catholic High School League|
|Accreditation(s)||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Mr. Kris Daiek|
Gabriel Richard Catholic High School, usually referred to as Gabriel Richard or simply GR, is a Catholic, coed high school in Riverview, Michigan, United States, south of Detroit. Named after Father Gabriel Richard, the school was established in 1965, with the first class graduating in 1969. It currently has approximately 460 students and approximately 30 full-time teachers, giving a student-to-teacher ratio of approximately 15:1. Located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit, Gabriel Richard Catholic High School has also been fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools since the 1993-94 school year.
Unlike many other Catholic schools (for example Cabrini High School in nearby Allen Park, Michigan) Gabriel Richard is not tied to a specific parish. In the early 1960s, a group of parish priests from the Downriver area decided that a new Catholic high school needed to be built. The school was to be built in Wyandotte but no suitable site could be found and the school was built at its current location in Riverview. The building was completed in 1965 and the school began accepting students for the 9th grade.
The school was designed to be a coed school. However, the original plans called for the separation of the male and female students. The males would use one wing of the building (the east) and the females would use the other (the west). The cafeteria, gymnasium, band room, library, and chapel were to be shared, but used at different times by the boys and girls. However, due to scheduling problems, the school was never operated in the way it was originally planned. Evidence of the original design can still be seen in the building though. The men's restrooms are all in the east wing, while the women's restrooms are all in the west.
Clubs and groups
The following is a partial list of student clubs at Gabriel Richard:
- Art Club
- Drama/Theater Group
- Diversity Club
- French Club
- History Club
- National Honor Society
- Recycling Club
- Spanish Club
- Student Ambassadors
- Student Government
- Varsity Club
|Cross Country||Cross Country|
|Track & Field||Track & Field|
Gabriel Richard in the media
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2009-06-23.[dead link]
- http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2010/01/01/entertainment/doc4b3a3b836b768925921033.txt Drop dead diva: Former high school thespian earns starring role
- "Google News archive". Google.com. Retrieved 2007-03-13.
- Aizenman, Nurith (2002-05-17). "Sexy Dancing Has Schools on Prom Patrol". Washington Post. pp. A01. Retrieved 2007-03-13.
- Shepardson, David (2006-12-23). "'Detroit guy' takes FBI helm". The Detroit News. Retrieved 2007-03-13.
- "Gabriel Richard Catholic High School". GreatSchools. Retrieved 2007-02-22.
- "Gabriel Richard Catholic High School". Local School Directory. 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-22.
- "Michigan NCA Member Schools". Michigan North Central Association. Retrieved 2007-02-22.
- "Gabriel Richard Catholic High School". Retrieved 2007-02-25.