Frederik Bouttats, an engraver, was born at Antwerp about the year 1620. He engraved several plates after his own designs, principally portraits, and some after other masters. They are worked with the graver, in a neat style, and are not without merit. We have by him, among others, the following:
- Charles Emmanuel, Duke of Savoy.
- Charles Gaspar, Elector of Treves.
- Queen Christina of Sweden.
- Oliver Cromwell.
- Frederick William, Elector of Brandenburg.
- John George, Elector of Saxony.
- Jan Baptist Heil, portrait painter; se ipse pinx.
- Daniel van Heil, landscape painter; J. B. van Heil pinx. (pictured)
- Leo van Heil, architect and painter; same painter.
- David Rijckaert, painter; se ipse pinx. (pictured)
- The Virgin and Infant Jesus, with St. John (dated 1655).
- Cavaliers and Ladies playing at Cards; F. Boutats fecit.
This article incorporates text from the article "BOUTTATS, Frederick" in Bryan's Dictionary of Painters and Engravers by Michael Bryan, edited by Robert Edmund Graves and Sir Walter Armstrong, an 1886–1889 publication now in the public domain.
|This article about a Flemish painter mainly active between 1581 and 1830 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|