Fourth Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
|Fourth Corps, Army of Northern Virginia|
Confederate battle flag
|Active||October 19, 1864– April 8, 1865|
|Country||Confederate States of America|
|Allegiance||Confederate States Army|
|Part of||Army of Northern Virginia|
|Engagements||American Civil War|
The Fourth Corps was a military unit formed in October 1864 within the Army of Northern Virginia of the Confederate Army. It fought for the Confederate States of America during the late stages of the American Civil War. The corps was commanded by Richard H. Anderson during its short life and was combined with the Second Corps shortly before Lee's surrender on April 9, 1865.
With the recovery of Lt. General James Longstreet from injury, which allowed him to resume leading the First Corps, a new Fourth Corps was created on October 19, 1864. Commanded by temporary Lt. General Anderson, it was made up of units from the First, Second, and Third Corps of Lee's army, plus other reserve & detached units from around Richmond.
The Fourth Corps spent the winter of 1864/5 encamped around Petersburg as part of the Army of Northern Virginia. In April the Army of the Potomac, under General Ulysses Grant, broke through the defences and successfully concluded the siege of Richmond, initiating the start of the Appomattox Campaign. The Fourth Corps retreated with the rest of General Lee's Army but was largely destroyed in the Battle of Sayler's Creek, during which several key officers including the Fourth Corp's commander General Richard Anderson, were captured. The survivors were surrendered three days later, on 9 April 1865, at Appomattox Courthouse.
- Dupuy, Trevor N., Johnson, Curt, and Bongard, David L., Harper Encyclopedia of Military Biography, Castle Books, 1992, 1st Ed.,
- Eicher, John H., and Eicher, David J., Civil War High Commands, Stanford University Press, 2001, ISBN 0-8047-3641-3.
- Foote, Shelby, The Civil War: A Narrative: Vol. III Red River to Appomattox, Vintage Books, 1986, ISBN 0-394-74622-8.
- Fremantle, Arthur J. L., Three Months in the Southern States: The 1863 War Diary of an English Soldier, Greenhouse Publishing Co., 1863, ISBN 0-9616844-X.
- Eicher, p.105
- Dupuy, p. 40.
- Eicher, p. 889.
- First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
- Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
- Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
- Cavalry Corps, Army of Northern Virginia